Is cleaning exercise?

Options
Hey I notice that you are able to log cleaning as exercise, I work as Housekeeping but I`ve been doing this for 3 years now and at this point it doesnt tired me out. Would it even consider exercises for me anymore?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    No. It's part of your daily activity.
  • MCTay23
    MCTay23 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would believe so. Your body is moving.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Depends on your settings. I chose "sedentary" in the beginning and then relied on exercise entries to get me enough calories, but eventually changed my setting to "lightly active".
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Cleaning your house is normal activity, part of NEAT (non-exercise activity) and shouldn't be logged. Now if you decide to clean out the attic and end up hauling stuff around, doing heavy work for a long time, I see no problem with eating a bit extra. But normal dusting, washing dishes, etc. is not exercise. Even for people who are cleaning as part of their jobs--it is lifestyle activity.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's accounted for in your activity setting as it's your job - as long as you set the activity setting correctly.
    What did you choose?
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    It's only extra if it's not normal for you otherwise it would count towards your activity level (eg sedentary or active)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Hey I notice that you are able to log cleaning as exercise, I work as Housekeeping but I`ve been doing this for 3 years now and at this point it doesnt tired me out. Would it even consider exercises for me anymore?

No, it is not exercise...it is activity that should be included in your daily...you should include it in your activity...if you're cleaning houses, you aren't sedentary.
    MCTay23 wrote: »
    I would believe so. Your body is moving.

Simply moving =/= exercise. Exercise is a deliberate act directed at improving overall fitness. Cleaning is general activity.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If it's your job then obviously you're doing cleaning above and beyond what would be included as normal daily activities. But, if you included it when you set your activity level on MFP it wouldn't make sense to log it. If you did not, then it would make to log it.

I don't log exercise anymore but when I was I would log cleaning if it was above and beyond normal day to day cleaning. Things like cleaning out the garage or attic or a full house Spring cleaning.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    If you do it as part of your daily job, it should be accounted for in your base activity setting - as in you're probably not sedentary. More like lightly active/moderately active in your daily life so you regularly expend more calories each day than someone who has a desk job.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nope. And if it's your job your activity level should reflect it.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to log dusting and shopping for food.
  • Desert_Azaliah
    Desert_Azaliah Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    It's accounted for in your activity setting as it's your job - as long as you set the activity setting correctly.
    What did you choose?

I chose the Active setting. I clean/ work 5 Times an week, and then go to cosmo school right after work. So I spend a total of 11 hours on my feet, 5 times a week. It should be the right setting to have right?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    What did you choose?

I chose the Active setting. I clean/ work 5 Times an week, and then go to cosmo school right after work. So I spend a total of 11 hours on my feet, 5 times a week. It should be the right setting to have right?

yes..and therefore you wouldn't want to log that kind of stuff as it is already accounted for in your targets...logging it would be double dipping.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What did you choose?

Sounds good to me - see how you get on and adjust if required.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. It's part of your TDEE if you set your settings right. I only log purposeful activity. But YMMV...
  • Antonia_I
    Antonia_I Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't count it unless it is outside normal activity. For example doing laundry or cleaning the kitchen wouldn't count, but if I got up on a ladder and cleaned the exterior Windows I'd count it.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I would not count anything that you were doing prior to deciding to eat right and exercise because you were doing that when you gained the weight. That would include mowing the grass, cleaning the house (vigorously - hahaha - seriously???), walking the dog. If I think of an exercise activity, I would count:

golfing pulling a pull-cart or carrying a bag if I used to ride in a cart
    if I used to walk the dog - I would count anything above and beyond walking the dog - like a second walk without the pooch

...basically I would count anything that would be weight lifting
    or
    cardio (i.e. something that gets your heart rate up to where it is difficult to speak)