What do you do when..

Options
zayyy237
zayyy237 Posts: 10 Member
How to deal when you have a sugar craving?? Fruit doesn't seem to help me get rid of my sugar cravings

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much in the way of added sugars...but every once in awhile I get a craving for a cookie or something...I usually just have a cookie...it's pretty irrelevant to the bigger picture.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Have what you crave. Or don't.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I decide if I want to have some of what I'm craving. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Just eat what you are craving.. It does not have to be a whole lot of it if you are trying to stay in a calorie deficit... Or go over your calories if you must.. Restriction is not allowed in my diet structure.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Diet soda/sparkling ice and sugar free jello helps me with my sugar cravings :smile:
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I only ever have a sugar craving after a savoury meal so I'll wait a bit, have a coffee or tea and it soon passes.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm all for moderation when I have a specific craving. But if I just want 'sugar', I have a yogurt or an apple, or just have some coffee/tea as well.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I may just be weird (it's possible!), but if I have a craving for sweets and don't want to eat them right then, dill pickles kill the craving.
  • purplemoonpie
    purplemoonpie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I eat a low calorie Popsicles or sugar free 10 cal jello cup and a dollop of whip cream. For me though, it is VERY HARD to control my portions - if i have a box of cookies in the house, I will eat the whole box. I'm not even a huge fan of keeping the popsicles around b/c I could lose control and eat the whole box. It's like someone takes over my brain and I can't stop. As far as fruit, I have found watermelon generally stops my sugar cravings.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Try a spoonful of salsa. If not, maybe something with blueberries in it (smoothie or yogurt). If all else fails, let yourself have whatever it is you're craving (in moderation).
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    It just depends too much. Sometimes I give in, but I hate having to go extra places or make special trips so I often ignore a craving. After dinner it's been a habit to have a sweet treat but we don't buy them at the store anymore due to a team effort to reduce junk. I made a half batch of snickerdoodles last weekend cause I was craving a cookie and that was all I had ingredients for, but only made half the recipe then we only ate 3 cookies per serving, one serving a day until they were gone. Kept milk to a minimum and made it overall much better than how we used to eat cookies so I was proud.

Tonight if I have any cravings I have to say no, I have a blood test in the morning and will have to cut off eating at 7. Sometimes you just ignore it and move on. Be busy. I'm going to work on my quilt tonight, it's going to take me months so any sewing I can get in is helpful. I'd rather make something amazing than go to the store for a chocolate bar or whatever :)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Eat something with some sugar in it
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I like looking for novelty ice creams that have a reasonable number of calories per serving (under 200) and try to plan them into my allowance.
  • zayyy237
    Options
    Ok thanks guys! For me it's the portions, I can't just eat one cookie I eat the whole box, my calories aren't high but what I eat is mostly sugar so trying to cut it down :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    The only times I have sugar cravings are when I really want a Pixie Stix. My cravings are for specific foods, not just sugar. I have what I'm craving. It's easier than eating replacement foods and eventually eating what I really wanted to begin with thus going way over calories.
  • Maria_R88
    Maria_R88 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am a bonafide sugar addict and I eliminated sugar from my diet for about three weeks about two months ago. The first week was the worst, but after that my cravings were barely noticeable. After the three weeks were up, I found that I could handle my cravings much better. If you're like me and you have an addiction to sugar, the best thing you can do is stay far away from it. More often than not, if I crave it I will eat whole foods, like fruit if I want the sweetness, or find a cakey substitute (date balls, for example, with coconut flakes, shredded carrot and spices can taste like carrot cake) instead of choosing to eat processed sugar, mainly because in the past I just couldn't stop until the entire thing was gone. Now that I've worked on my addiction, I also find that in those moments when I do decide to "cheat" and have a cookie, I don't have to make an extra effort to balance my blood sugar out like I did in the first week of eliminating sugar from my diet.
  • rokos2
    rokos2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    eat watermelon :)
  • zayyy237
    Options
    I really appreciate all the help thank you guys :) !
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I go for medjool dates, which I keep in the fridge. They're then like chewy toffee, but good for me. Dried mango does it for me too and has replaced all need for sweets. I still do like a bit of chocolate sometimes too though.