Binge eating and weight gain

Options
a0akley
a0akley Posts: 36 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Let's talk about bingeing and how much it can impact progress. I have been stuck, and actually gaining for the past 7 months, up 15 lbs in spite of almost daily intense cardio (turbo fire, T25, etc) and I know this is due to my eating in strict deficit all week then blowing it on the weekends with booze and junk food. I have learned that my binges are linked with having a little buzz on for sure, then combine the alcohol with the junk food and it's not rocket science why I have gained weight.
I have been so resistant to reducing my weekend drinking/fun foods because I have always been at a healthy weight and like enjoying life on the weekends after I work so hard all week .
Well now I am overweight officially and know that I need to reign this in. I have so far made it almost 2 weeks without a binge! Feeling great about that. Wondering how long it will take to catch up on the scale? I am 5'3, 146lbs, still exercising and staying between 1300-1500 cals per day ( the 1500 is my fri/sat so I can have room for a little bit more "fun" stuff like a glass of wine)
Any thoughts? I 'm sure it will be slow but curious to see if I can keep this up how it will affect my progress. Thanks for listening!
Edited to add that I always lose 1-2 lbs during the week the regain in 2 days , with a little extra too apparently... !

Replies

• a0akley
    a0akley Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think when I binge it's likely 1000 cal or so over my daily goal. Usually after an hour or so if trying to talk myself out of it, usually followed by finding reasons why it's ok "this time" . Then inevitably I feel physically uncomfortable and mentally defeated and berate myself for the next few days . Not a good set up for success. It's definitely munchies brought on by having a couple drinks. Though I have struggled with this for years even when not drinking. I feel like something has clicked though suddenly, like I just decided that I'm not going to do it anymore. I know that to succeed I will have to give up a few of the drinks and once I start seeing results I am hoping that will inspire me next time I am contemplating that bag if chips in the cupboard. ( which are there because my hubbs and kids can eat whatever and have no weight or food issues, so not helpful!)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I'm prone to binging if I feel particularly unhappy and in particular if I tell myself a certain type of food is "not allowed" - that seems to set it up on a pedestal and then there's part of me that believes if I could just have that one wonderful, magical forbidden thing, it would make everything better. I've managed to get to a place where I'm genuinely allowed to eat anything I like, and that breaks the spell.

It's also connected with general happiness and self worth, too - eating for comfort - although I'm pleased to note that despite a pretty tough week emotionally, I haven't binged once. So that's big progress. It's all about learning what triggers it in your case, I think, which takes time .
  • mylife_myworld
    mylife_myworld Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started few months ago. It all started off as the 'comfort eating', my only way of coping then over the months it has got worse to it is a secret from everyone around me. I lose track on cals but after the binge the emotion kicks in.... Feel free to add me, im a newbie to MFP & it would be greaat to have people with similar eattimg ways.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't gain weight even if you go 1000 over your calorie goal twice a week... assuming a 500 daily deficit, that would still leave you with a deficit for the week big enough to lose close to half a pound a week.... So you must be eating more than you think the rest of the week, honestly... which would explain why you're only maintaining now instead of losing.

Do you weigh your food?
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    So I can do two things for you one I will provide some tips to stop at the binge eating and I can also address why the scale may not reflect the results that you have stop binging.

The reason the scale may not have caught up to you stop binging is because your metabolism could be messed up. The body is designed to survive and not to look good so during phases of caloric restriction the metabolism slows down. The only way to rebuild your metabolism is to slowly increase food in caloric intake overtime. However binging on the weekend is not a long enough time to rebuild this metabolism so the consistent restrictions during the week have reduced your metabolism while the Bengies on the weekend do not rebuild it. I am trying to keep this as non-science he as possible. Therefore your metabolic rate is lower than you probably think even though you're not Benjean so there is a possibility that you could have stalled in your fat loss progress. There are two ways to restart the fat loss progress one is that you burn more calories For example you increase your exercise The other option is you eat less food which I don't suggest doing because you are still binging.

I highly suggest trying to address the roots of your initial order first and then the results of the gym will come much easier as you have noticed yourself.
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    First, admit there was a problem. For three going on four years, I blamed externals, my drive, and my dreams for my actions. Ignoring people in my life hinting at me that I may have a problem, including family, close friends, and girlfriend. I lied to myself, rationalizing it with the mask of a cheat meal. As the punishment for binging increased so did the amount of times I binged. At first once a week, then every couple days, every other, until it consumed my thoughts. At times I would drive to Walmart just to eat it all before coming home. Chances are if you are reading this it is because you are looking for help. Good for you, you are lightyears ahead of where I was!

Second, I learned to love myself for me, as a matter of fact I am still learning how to do this. Today, the emulated physique is seen as happiness. It is published on social media, magazines, and posters as the symbol of happiness. I believed it, I chased it and chased it. I had it for some time and I was still just as miserable. How you look will not make you happy! Now don’t twist those words as an excuse to just let ourselves become overweight. Chances are you will break step 1 which is lying and rationalizing it. We have to learn to accept our imperfections. We all have them and everyone tries to hide them. Here are my flaws (some I can fix, others are what they are):
    Relationships: I am aweful. I wrecked a 15 year friendship with a highschool sweetheart, I was selfish and an *kitten*. I can also be abrasive and brutal with little to no compassion. However ever since I shared this personal story, I have gotten better. Although I am by no means finished working on this.
    Skin Damage: I never wore sunscreen as a kid. Now I have moles, freckles, and scars. Some I wish weren’t there. Some girls won’t talk to me because of them. I am not “sexy” enough. They aren’t “interested”.

Don’t let your imperfections stop you from loving yourself. You are the only you this world will ever see, embrace yourself. Perhaps the worst thing about this cycle was I hated myself, I hated my life, I did not want to look in the mirror, I thought I was a failure that I would never make it, I contemplated suicide. When I would binge, I would punish myself. Don’t do that we are human, life is meant to be enjoyed. Life is much too short to never treat yourself to what you love to eat whatever that maybe for you. Look yourself in the mirror directly into your eyes saying “I LOVE myself” at least 10 times a day, if not more. P.S. try not to smile when you say this (harder than you think).

Thirdly, there is no such thing as good food, bad food. Placing labels on food, leads us to ban them from our intake. We say, “No, No, No, No, No…” We push for the perfect diet, once we eat this food that does not fall into this neat diet box; we throw our hands up, saying we failed so now is the time to eat everything we can. This leads to punishment. Which leads to more restrictions. This is the vicious cycle we as binge eaters face. I used to believe it myself, that there was clean food and bad food. It simply is this manifested idea. If you ask a vegan, he/she will say animal based foods are not clean. Someone who is a vegetarian will disagree, and say it is just animal products that are not clean. Then a paleo guy runs in screaming about how meat is clean, but grains aren’t. So someone has to be right? They are all wrong. Instead, adopt my grandmother’s wise old adage of “everything in moderation.” AKA IIFYM

Fourth, going along the lines of moderation. You can eat whatever you want just not all at once. I believe I heard Layne Norton say this, I believe this, like the 11th commandment, in fact it should be an amendment to the constitution. When I first began to escape cycle, I would eat one “treat” at every meal. Nothing crazy, but it will allow you still get your “fix” but you won’t binge on it. Any action in the right direction gave me more motivation and encouragement to keep improving. The small wins kept snowballing into large victories later that slammed the door on binging. Disclaimer, it is wiser to eat this food item from a plate not from the container. Don’t test your will to fight binging if you do not have too. As the old saying goes, “work smarter, not harder.”

Fifth, no more crazy spreadsheets and tracking of nutrients line item by line item like an accountant. I did not worry about counting calories and the works. I would instead eat (3) meals, breakfast, lunch and supper possibly a snack if I was hungry. I would eat slowly, and as I began to feel fuller I would stop eating. You may be like me and scared that you’ll get fat. Well what is our other choice? We can keep binge eating which is not working, because you wouldn’t be reading this. Or we can reach out and try something new. I need to be conscious of my eating, instead of speed eating (still struggle at times).

Sixth, 180, 190, 160, 225, 200…what number was it going to be today I thought I as I closed my eyes scared to look down at the scale after a night of binging (these were all weights I reached during this cycle). You do not need a scale to help you. It’s about small wins, small wins, they add up trust me; I have been there too. Most people overestimate the damage of a binge. You need to eat in excess of 3500 calories over your normal intake to gain a pound of fat. It is not as bad as we create in our minds. Additionally, when we stand on the scale after a binge our body is bloated, full of food, sodium, and other goodies. This only compounds the guilt feeling.

It is your lucky day! I said six, but here is a seventh tip. So, what about eating at restaurants and parties? Parties were my kryptonite, the amount of food that I saw and I thought I had to eat three people’s worth of everything. What helped me to win at parties was I made this a game in my head (who cares no one else knows..plus now you know I did it). I am very competitive; I hate losing even if it’s go fish with a girlfriend (I will be a terrible father I will never let my kids win). Since eating slower and not getting seconds was a struggle at first. The game I created was to be the last one done eating, and the last one to get seconds. This helped me in many ways, first to help me eat slower I talked with people, this helped to repair the relationships I had damaged in the past, plus I was not over eating (win/win). Which is why I was last to get seconds, so often I would eat so quick that my stomach didn’t even know it was fed until I was already 4-5 plates of heaping food deep.

Make that eight, workout for fun! For so long in this process I trained for results no I do not mean goals; I simply worked out to look good that’s it! It was the complete wrong direction, it made training no fun, I dreaded every gym session, and was having a miserable time. It doesn’t matter if you are into bodybuilding, figure, physique, cross fit, powerlifting, strongman, marathons, etc. just train for fun, train to get better and challenge yourself. For me this was powerlifting.