help me break really, really strong bad habits

Options
so, i have this pattern, I eat well, I am tired but instead of going to sleep, I think of what I need to do or didn't do that day and then I get anxious and start to do it and then I eat something to stay awake and then I don't sleep enough... vicious cycle

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Make a "do to" list for the day. Make sure it is reasonable and you can accomplish the tasks you set out for yourself. Don't make it super long or complicated. If it is something you feel you "need to do", put it on the list and make sure it gets done. Then you can rest easy that you accomplished what you "need to do". Or just adopt my attitude - "it" will still be here tomorrow; I'll do it then.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Try a notebook by your bedside. Out of your head and you can sleep. I share this tip in my time management class all the time.
  • Onlythegoodstuff
    Onlythegoodstuff Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks -
  • jgnatca
    Options
    You then have a to-do list for the next day.
  • Onlythegoodstuff
    Onlythegoodstuff Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So tonight, I did great and even stopped the late night urge, but then sat down to do some work and broke down and ate A LOT of calories and sabotaged a great day. I think to myself that I can just do a few things that I couldn't get to earlier - but I am learning that this is a REAL trigger for me and I want to tell myself that in the long run it is better for me NOT to finish what I need to do than to keep sabotaging myself.
  • Michie112g
    Michie112g Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have the same bad habit !!
    I do great all day even get my 2 mile twice a day.
    But when night comes I want to eat
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Do you schedule your time? Are you overextending yourself? Is your to do list realistic? Maybe say no to some stuff or prioritize the list.

I've had some trouble getting my brain to relax at night and found drinking some tea (Celestial Seasonings Tension Tamer) before bed has been helpful. I also stopped reading e-mail and stuff before bed and do it earlier in the day instead.
    You could try setting up a transition activity like drinking tea, yoga, meditation, reading or a warm bath maybe.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Urgh I used to do this. The notebooks good idea. Are you doing this stuff after you get to bed because it's critical or out of anxiety? Try write action plans for what needs to get done next day so your brain knows there's an action to your points. Don't get out of bed! Go read something after.
    If these things constantly come up on your yo do list try see the bigger week picture and maybe might need to juggle your schedules around a bit.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Are you living under a cloud of unfinished business all the time? How often do you stop to celebrate your accomplishments? You are a regular people. You deserve to take a break once in a while.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Sometimes breaking an old habit means starting another one. You need prioritize your day, your schedule, your chores, your errands and even exercise and eating..

No one can do this for you, but we can suggest you find a method to organize, and put your health at the top and the rest underneath. And if something does not get done, it will be there tomorrow.

As for sleep, this too is something to break, so you have to start a new sleep regime, things you do at night or a nightly ritual like brushing teeth, putting on PJ's, turning down the lights and getting still and quiet. If you save some calories, eat a small snack before bed. You can do your check list for the next day before you turn down the lights.. Your new habit is that you can not longer think about the day when you get into bed, or think about tomorrow and that you have eaten for the day so it is now time to shut it all off.. tomorrow is a new day.
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun and RoxieDawn have given you some good ideas. A few others I may add is make sure you don't drink any caffeine late in the afternoon. It takes 8 hours for it to completely leave your system. Clear your bedroom of any potential sleep distractions, such as noises, bright lights, a TV, a cell phone, or computer. If you have a digital clock, turn it around so you can't "watch" the time. Make sure you have a comfortable mattress and pillow. You'll also sleep better if the temperature in your bedroom is kept on the cool side. If you continue having problems, you should probably talk to your doctor. You might need to be on something for your anxiety. But be sure to try all these things first and let your doctor know what you've tried if it gets to that point. Good luck!