Cross Fit 2015 Documentary

jcow84
jcow84 Posts: 75 Member
Hi guys - did anyone watch this documentary on Netflix? I just wanted to start a thread to see what you thought of the dedication these athletes put forth in their training/nutrition to be able to compete at those insane events. I don't follow Cross Fit and had no idea people participated in these days long competitions. I was blown away! How much time do you think these people are putting in at the gym on a daily basis?

Replies

• Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    The top guys (basically everyone at the games) are professional or semi professional, meaning they live off sponsorship or might also train clients on the side. In the 2015 games they made a big point of mentioning that there was only male individual event athlete that had full time employment (a police officer, can't remember his name).

I imagine they train for several hours every day, probably more in the lead up to an event given how endurance focused the games are.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Just watched it this week. Loved it!
  • Arucard5
    Arucard5 Posts: 39 Member
    Watched it the first day it came out. As a crossfitters it's simply inspiring and amazing to see what hard work and consistency does
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    They are clearly full time athletes. I love watching documentaries like this, just in case it inspires me and makes me wonder if I have another athletic calling. Whilst amazing to watch I know Crossfit isn't for me after watching it.

It'd be fun to have a go on some of the equipment though, maybe when I'm a bit fitter though..........
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    It's on my watch list.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    I watched it and loved it!
  • They are probably on par with similar semi-pro/pro athletes. I'm guessing 2-8 hours between training (strength training, metabolic work, etc.), skill work (muscle ups, kipping, etc.) and pre/rehab (massage, chiro, ice, heat, etc.).
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    They are clearly full time athletes. I love watching documentaries like this, just in case it inspires me and makes me wonder if I have another athletic calling. Whilst amazing to watch I know Crossfit isn't for me after watching it.

It'd be fun to have a go on some of the equipment though, maybe when I'm a bit fitter though..........

Crossfit is infinitely scalable, I can put a 20 year old and 60 year old through the same workout, by modifying weights used or movement. So don't think after watching the elite go through the ultimate test, that you'd be expected to perform like that during your workout.....go give it a try!

• MTDDS18
    MTDDS18 Posts: 62 Member
    edited July 2016
    What's the name of the documentary??

Edit: nvm found it. Fittest on Earth. I watched it on Amazon a few months ago and it was really excellent!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    kota4bye wrote: »

Crossfit is infinitely scalable, I can put a 20 year old and 60 year old through the same workout, by modifying weights used or movement. So don't think after watching the elite go through the ultimate test, that you'd be expected to perform like that during your workout.....go give it a try!

Oh I get that totally! I speak of my own frustrations at not being able to do things (mostly due to upper body strength, I'm working on it) but generally the style of workout isn't for me overall.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    I watched it. I thought it was very interesting. I don't do Crossfit although I've taken a few classes but I had been following Brooke on IG for awhile. I think she looks amazing!
  • jcow84
    jcow84 Posts: 75 Member
    Yes - watching this sure gave me motivation to push myself at my 'normal' gym workouts - too tired? No way! I think of these guys, lol.
  • 60to35
    60to35 Posts: 297 Member
    My niece competed there. She was a full time law student at the time. Not sure how many hours a day she trained. She has a few small sponsorships but not much when you consider the level she trains at.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    kota4bye wrote: »

completely agree! I have been doing stuff I thought I would never been able to do thanks to crossfit. I dont see me competing. .but who knows!

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited July 2016
    They are probably on par with similar semi-pro/pro athletes. I'm guessing 2-8 hours between training (strength training, metabolic work, etc.), skill work (muscle ups, kipping, etc.) and pre/rehab (massage, chiro, ice, heat, etc.).

@DreesPerformanceTraining

Take a look at this article -- it examines CF Games level programming for the CF athlete at Crossfit Invictus.

http://www.tierthreetactical.com/crossfit-programing-invictus-analysis/

Quite interesting.