Too many nuts?

Options
mayoosh_primrose
mayoosh_primrose Posts: 131 Member
edited July 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I just consumed 950 calories from nuts "cashews and pistachios" and I was wondering if there are health risks related to it besides weight gain resulting from too many calories?
Maybe you can take a look at my diary and tell me what you think.
Thanks!

Replies

• refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    More than two, see a Dr
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The main thing I would worry about (besides the calories) is that quantity of nuts would crowd out other things that I needed. For one day? No big deal. But regularly you could find that it keeps you from meeting your nutritional needs.
  • mayoosh_primrose
    Options
    The main thing I would worry about (besides the calories) is that quantity of nuts would crowd out other things that I needed. For one day? No big deal. But regularly you could find that it keeps you from meeting your nutritional needs.

Yeah I get your point. Well I'm kinda planning not to do that again :lol: Staying within my caloric limit proved to be difficult.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I like the way you organize your diary, but I would strongly suggest adding a protein category or something along those lines. You are very low on most days that I saw. Nuts are a great way to get a bunch of good fats and some protein, but there are more efficient sources out there, even for vegans. Nix some of the nuts and add tofu, tempeh, seitan, whatever.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Nuts are my weakness... Its hard to contain myself around them. Why must they be so calorie dense!!!
  • optfitness
    optfitness Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    1/4 th of a cup is typically one serving. I measure everything. I am eating pumpkin seeds now and make 5 snack bags to take to work and I eat a bag ( 1 serving ).
  • mayoosh_primrose
    Options
    Nuts are evil for me. I have trouble stopping.
    I now put them in zip lock baggies after I buy the bag. I weigh them into individual servings. I even carry one in my purse.
    Cost 2 cents per baggie, and about $18 for a digital food scale. Worth the time spent.

That's a very good idea. I do have a digital food scale but when I eat too much I don't log it in :persevere: I'll try to get a zip log baggie! Thanks

• mayoosh_primrose
    Options
    kirstenb13 wrote: »
    I like the way you organize your diary, but I would strongly suggest adding a protein category or something along those lines. You are very low on most days that I saw. Nuts are a great way to get a bunch of good fats and some protein, but there are more efficient sources out there, even for vegans. Nix some of the nuts and add tofu, tempeh, seitan, whatever.

I didn't notice that :pensive: I mostly focus on micronutrients "mainly iron and calcium" so everything else is overlooked. Will try to increase my protein intake! Thank you very much :smile:
  • mayoosh_primrose
    Options
    vixtris wrote: »
    Nuts are my weakness... Its hard to contain myself around them. Why must they be so calorie dense!!!

Same thoughts! :disappointed::disappointed: I wish they'd invent low-calorie nuts :lol: They're so damn delicious!