Will working out 4x/week be effective?

Options
I'm new to lifting. I started out doing it 5x a week but haven't really noticed results in my upper body so I figured I was overtraining that (3x a week for upper body) I would like some advice to see if this looks any good.

Monday: Legs 45mins
Tuesday: Upper Body 45 mins
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Core 15 mins
Friday: Upper Body
Weekend: Rest

I'm 19, 140 lbs, 5'8" and am currently consuming 2550 calories a day. Thank you!

Replies

• Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    What kind of results are you looking to see?
  • lauraemily84
    lauraemily84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi - sorry I just wanted to jump in and ask for advice too! I've just started weights at home recently I have the small ones u have in each hand ( sorry not sure what there called) I have 10lb weight on each hand is this too much to start with? I just do squats and lift the weights, holding each arm out for a few seconds and just moving my arms up and down is this adequate? I'm currently trying maintaining, just want to tone up more as I feel my tummy and legs have some fat I need to loose, also want to tone my arms esp under bingo wing area as that's not very toned. Any advice ? Many thanks x
  • tnicholas12
    tnicholas12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well, it really depends on the goal that you're trying get. Are you hoping for mass or definition?

The advantage of being a new lifter is definitely the immediate change that comes with your body's response to all the new stimulus.
  • TheRootofGroot
    TheRootofGroot Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Currently what I am doing.
    Mixing up two days heavy and two days volume, all four in a row and three days off.
    During my cut I did 6 days a week.
    Just need to adjust your calorie intake to reflect your activity level.
    I'd say the minimum for consistent results and making new achievements is 3 times a week.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    It does not matter how much you work out. Quality over quantity.
  • TheRootofGroot
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    It does not matter how much you work out. Quality over quantity.

That is very true.
    I've know guys that'll do things like disorganized full body workouts 5 times a week, and months later they look no different.

Plus I constantly observe others in the gym with form that doesn't contribute to the body part they seek to stimulate and will likely just end in imbalances and injuries.
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Well, it really depends on the goal that you're trying get. Are you hoping for mass or definition?

The advantage of being a new lifter is definitely the immediate change that comes with your body's response to all the new stimulus.

I am trying to get mass.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If you are new to lifting, you should get on a structured progressive linear program.

I don't know if the hypertrophy ones are aimed at beginners but you could always do Stronglifts or Starting Strength for a bit to get a foundation and then move on to another program.
  • TheRootofGroot
    Options
    Definitely seems like a wise idea to focus on compound movements before jumping into isolation work and 6 day splits.

If you're new to lifting and figure out how to conservatively bulk you'll make crazy muscular gains in your first 6 months if you learn the squat and deadlift.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    New lifters are usually better off following an actual established lifting program rather than making up their own programs. Follow a program that tells you what to do, how often to do it, and how many sets/reps to do. Results are long term, not immediate or short term, and screwing around making up your own plan may delay you in getting what you want.
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Alright I'll go look at a few programs. Thanks for the advice guys :)