a pill that stops your periods?

Options
kennie2
kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
is there a pill that completely stops your periods? like not delays them but completely stops them?

Replies

• avalonfloyd
    Options
    I think if you take birth control and keep taking it, through your off week, you won't have a period. I don't know how healthy it is to *never* have a period. I think there's also something like Yaz or some such thing where you only have 4 periods a year.
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but as far as I know it is not medically necessary to get your period if you are on the pill. But drug companies know that not having a period at all seems strange to many women, so they adjust the pills in the pack so that you get a period monthly or quarterly. From the side effects listed on the commercials for the "only get your period 4 times a year" pills, it may not work well (some side effects include heavy spotting). But you could talk to your doctor and see if there is a way to use the pills to eliminate your period for a longer amount of time.
  • fatkidlovescake
    fatkidlovescake Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Taking a pill to stop your period probably isn't the best thing to do - if it's because they are unbearably heavy then the combined contraceptive pill will give you lighter periods (mine now last 2 days using tampax lites during the day and don't need anything overnight whilst laying flat).
    I know people who have taken the contraceptive pill back to back (ie) no week off but even having skipped one period they complained that it was excruciatingly painful and a lot heavier than a normal period. From their stories I wouldn't recommend taking it back to back but obviously it's different for everyone!
    Either way you're better talking to a doctor about this!!
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Micronor - it's a birth control pill with only one hormone.
  • deisha
    deisha Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have a contraceptive injection every 3 months that has completely stopped my periods.
  • jamamm
    jamamm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was on Seasonique for years and loved it. It doesn't stop them completely, but you only get 4 per year, and mine were SO light. I basically spotted for a day, bled for a day, spotted for another day, and I was done. I have PCOS and severe endometriosis, so I have always had horrible pain with periods, but I didn't at all with the Seasonique.

It isn't medically necessary to have a period if you are on birth control. The only reason to have a period is to shed the lining, and it doesn't build up if you are on the pill.
  • adhillman01
    adhillman01 Posts: 206
    Options
    The Depo Provera shot will eventually stop your periods. It's a birth control shot you get every three months. It is known to cause weight gain, though. So it's a trade off.
  • WhisperALullaby
    WhisperALullaby Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You can stack your packs by not taking the placebo pills at the end. Like others have said, there is NO reason to actually have a period when you're on the pill, it's just supposed to make you feel more "natural" about it. It's simply a withdrawal bleed.

That being said...I'm here because of the weight I put on because of the pill. I never had cellulite until I was on it. So yeah, not for everyone.
  • jamamm
    jamamm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Depo caused me to gain a TON of weight - I don't recommend it.
  • Jasmine_Moonstone
    Jasmine_Moonstone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do not advise anyone to take the Depo-provera shot. It is not good for your body. It has been shown to cause bone loss over a long period of time & can also affect your fertility. It took me over 8 months to get my period back after I went off the Depo. :(

I am however now using the Implanon, which is a small plastic rod that is placed in your upper/inner arm & is good for 3 years. It is similar to the Depo, but not shown to cause the same side effects as the depo. I have had it in for almost a year now & have had maybe 3 periods while on & all were very very light. I am very very happy with it. :)
  • milanks
    milanks Posts: 122
    Options
    I absolutely hated Depo too. There was definitely weight gain when I was on it and I developed a rash. We couldn't say for certain if the rash was from the Depo but it coincided with it when nothing else in my diet/routines had changed.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I was on Seasonique for years and loved it. It doesn't stop them completely, but you only get 4 per year, and mine were SO light. I basically spotted for a day, bled for a day, spotted for another day, and I was done. I have PCOS and severe endometriosis, so I have always had horrible pain with periods, but I didn't at all with the Seasonique.

It isn't medically necessary to have a period if you are on birth control. The only reason to have a period is to shed the lining, and it doesn't build up if you are on the pill.

I take Seasonique also. I took it for several years and then stopped and now I am taking it again. By the second period 6 months in my periods were also very light. My doctor said I could just take them straight and never have a period every three months. I like them.
  • Hairotica
    Hairotica Posts: 24
    Options
    Two medications in the UK are Uvatolan and Norestherene. They both stop your periods but they must be taken continually or three or four days after you stop taking them you'll start. A side effect of Norestherene is weigh gain. I know cos im on it :(

I wouldn't advise stopping them for any long periods of time (pardon the pun). Your body is mean to do what it does, don't mess
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I take Loestrin 24 and my Dr said that its not uncommon for that pill to cause you not to have a period.. it has happened to me at least once and the first time it did, I was kind of freaked out.. now I find myself wishing that i would happen again!
  • victoriamaria14
    victoriamaria14 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    yes im on it, its called cerazette - its the mini pill
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    me too! Although I had an adjustment period in the beginning when I'd have some breakthrough bleeding, after a couple of months it all went away.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I got an IUD (Mirena, which is local progestin only), and in the last year I've only had 3 notable periods, which were all extremely light. Also, if you can get insurance to cover most of the cost it can save you a ton of money. I had a $20 copay with mine and won't have to pay for birth control pills for 5 years (for me, that's about $3000 saved).
  • exercisechic927
    exercisechic927 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am on the pill and the doctor prescribed it for continuous use and I never get a period.
  • elinsofie
    elinsofie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    me too! Although I had an adjustment period in the beginning when I'd have some breakthrough bleeding, after a couple of months it all went away.

I also take Cerazette and completely lost my periods after a couple of months. I used to have very heavy bleeding, short cycles, severe PMS and bad food cravings. It was very difficult to eat right and regular exercise was impossible. It is so much easier to stay away from junk food and to exercise now! But of course taking pills to lose your period is not a miracle cure (although to me it feels like that sometimes ;) There can be side effects and you still need to work to achieve your goals.
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    I take Marvelon, just a regular birth control pill, and I take it straight through (just skip the placebo pills), so I don't get my monthly gift! I usually only do it for three or four months straight through, then take a week off, usually when I start to feel like maybe I should give my body a break:) (even though it's completely unnecessary:)