Looking for perimenopausal and menopausal friends!!!

Options
I lost 65 pounds years ago, kept it off for years. I'm now experiencing menopause & feeling despair. This scale is not moving. I'm back on mfp, but i know that being with others is what really works for me. Anyone who is in this same menopause boat, please please please friend me... there is power in numbers!

Replies

• HoneyRose77
    HoneyRose77 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was 278 days into reaching menopause and then "wham" no such luck. The weight came back and my measurements all got bigger. I'd be happy to support you and get some support. I've been fighting the last 10 lbs since Sept. Maybe we can find a way to beat the weight gain of "the change"?
  • fidget75
    fidget75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just sent you a request!!! Took me a couple days to figure out how to add friends from the app
  • gidget_05
    gidget_05 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am looking for help as well. I have been off MFP for over two years. I went through menopause four years ago. The flashes seem more severe this year then ever, gained weight that I can't lose. Feel free to add me
  • talitakumis
    talitakumis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just joined MFP because I wanted to know how many calories I burn at the gym on the machines. Lose It.com does not have a decent database of exercises, but it is super to track food eaten calories. Am in your age bracket, too. Had been going to gym 3 times a week for 45 minutes to 1 hour since February. Never changed my eating habits until June 3rd. Weight clung to me. Discovered Ornish Lifestyle Medicine website for best diets for women over 50. Been on it since June 3rd, have dropped 13 pounds as of today, July 3rd. My calorie intake is 855 to 1000, but that is my choice. Vegetarian eating along with exercise is working for me and I feel back in control over my eating.
  • fidget75
    Options
    @pkw58 you're the second person to mention that book...need to go put on my shopping cart!
    @barnesie112 it is lonely... I'm the first of my friends too. The no period is good, but these flashes are driving me over the edge cause it disturbs my sleep :( I'm trying to change my mindset that i must get daily exercise in. When i was in my twenties & dropped the 65 i really did it by calorie reduction. I'm annoyed (& i guess mourning) that i can't drop the weight the same way :neutral:
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Right there with all you ladies - irregular but very heavy when Aunt Flo does arrive, some hot flashes, lots of night sweats and cannot sleep for the life of me. To name a few. And it's been going on for about 5 years as well. I've lost and regained weight so many times I can't count them all - I'm on an upswing in lbs now, unfortunately, but still keep trying every day.
  • misti0524
    misti0524 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you ladies. I would love some friends that are going thru the same fun (not) menopause things as I am.
  • swwass130
    swwass130 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been through menopause for a while now, but my wieght has been steadily going up. Just in the last year I have put on only 2-3 lbs but my shape has changed. I look like I swollowed a basketball. That dredded belly fat is here. Nothing fits, I had to buy all new summer clothes. Two bad days (like last weekend) will mean two weeks of taking it off. Not really worth overeating anymore, yet I sometimes do. Ugh
  • girlfighting50
    girlfighting50 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I guess I'm officially in menopause as it's been a little over a year now since my last period. 54 next month and have packed on about 10 lbs in the last year and a half or so. It doesn't sound like much but it's all clustered around my belly and hips! Can't move it either. I'm back to tracking meals here and am trying to increase my exercise but I can't do the high intensity workouts I used to do (prolapse anyone??). Working on consistently hitting the 10000 step mark with yoga and weights. I'll try the book as well, I'm interested in anything that might help. :smile: As for sleep, I started taking Wal-Som (generic of one of the Sominex varieties) with Doxylamine Succinate in it - same ingredient in NyQuil. I just take half, but it helps me stay asleep all night instead of staring at the ceiling. I did think I would go crazy before that since I lost my ability to sleep - like having a newborn again except I was the one staying up half the night and crying. Yuck!
  • JohnandCatherinesmom
    JohnandCatherinesmom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with rough waters! Had an ultrasound last week and I go in Friday for the results, they called yesterday which surprised me after a holiday weekend...a bit nervous! I have used MFP off and on but was really disheartened when the weight barely budged...quit weighing myself too! Went to the drs two weeks ago to be told there was a 0.09 difference in my weight in one year-of course it went up! lol
  • ginaDDDD
    ginaDDDD Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm here too! Been having very rough time with hot flashes, anxiety, sweating, weight gain especially water retention, insomnia. My tummy and hips blew up in the past 2 years. No period for 2 years now.
  • fidget75
    Options
    All i have to say is... happy that there are others in the same boat!!!
  • mean_jeannie
    mean_jeannie Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi! Add me too - I'm perimenopausal and would like to connect with people I can relate to!
  • JohnandCatherinesmom
    JohnandCatherinesmom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have problems with the water retention and mood swings, the hot flashes don't seem to flash they linger! lol And this may be gross but I find my deodorant quit working so I have changed brands multiple times, went to natural brands, used men's etc. It doesn't help the weather forecast shows 30+c temps for the next full week!
  • ginalove1960
    ginalove1960 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 years old and postmenopausal for 3 years, and loving it. What freedom! I've lost 50 lbs with MFP, and have been keeping it off for years now. My secret is careful calorie tracking with MFP everyday, weighing myself and recording every week, and absolutely NO diet pop or artificial sweeteners. Drinking only water or plain, black coffee or tea. Exercising regularly for 1/2 hour every day, at something I LOVE doing, and allowing myself that gooey sweet treat every day, and just figuring that into my calorie tracking. I hold a strict rule of "never drinking any calories", and it works well for me.
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Ok, ok, ok there are way too many of us "crazy" ladies here. Someone needs to start a group so we all be friends all together.
    I don't know how. Does someone here know how to start a group? We could decide on a cute name together and all be in one place. Anyone interested?
  • ginalove1960
    ginalove1960 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'd like more friends. Right now, I only have one. Not that I'm knocking him. He's a good friend.