When do you start seeing results?

I'm at the end of week 3 of my weight loss journey and I'm wondering when people normally start seeing results? Week 1 I lost 6 lbs which I was super happy about. Week 2 I only lost 1 lb. It's now the end of week 3 and I don't think I've lost anything. I've been staying under my calories everyday and working out at least two times a day. It's really discouraging when the first week went so well and now I feel like things are slowing down. I only have a total of 28 lbs left to lose to be at my goal weight. Any words of advice?

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Someone will come along and post something longer and with more detail but here's my 2 cents and from my experience:

That first week weight loss was mostly water weight. You'll never see that much lost again that quickly because it was all water. That's normal and to be expected.

The second week was maybe some more water and maybe a little fat too.

Weight loss is not linear and you may not necessarily see the scale move every week. I know when I was heavy into losing there were weeks when the scale did not budge and then - boom - overnight I would drop like 2 pounds. That's normal. So even if you're doing everything correctly, you won't necessarily see the scale move every week like clockwork. It just doesn't happen that way. But you have to trust the process and keep doing what you're doing.
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    You are doing great!! If you only have 28 lbs to lose, it shouldnt take long before you start feeling your clothes getting loser. It wont come off as fast as soneone like me who had over150 lbs to lose (down 62 lbs since Jan). And don't rely on the mirror. It can be very deceiving. As long as that scale is going down just get it in your head that is it is coming off. Don't make it a race. This is something you want do and keep off. Don't do like me and waste your life away losing and gaining it back. Good Luck on your journey.
  • blount86
    blount86 Posts: 8 Member
    Okay that eases my worries. I was concerned I was doing something wrong. Since I started this, I will admit that I do feel a lot better. I have more energy and I don't feel so bloated all the time. I'll keep at it and patiently wait for the results to come. Thanks!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited July 2016
    weight loss is a slow process...you initially lose a lot of water weight and also, because you're eating less, you have less inherent waste in your system which is why usually the first week there is a significant drop...after that it's slow...particularly when you don't have a significant amount of weight to lose...wrap your head around it and accept it for what it is...this is a long haul and you're only three weeks in...three weeks is nothing in the big picture of forever.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    blount86 wrote: »
    Okay that eases my worries. I was concerned I was doing something wrong. Since I started this, I will admit that I do feel a lot better. I have more energy and I don't feel so bloated all the time. I'll keep at it and patiently wait for the results to come. Thanks!

Yep. Easy to get frustrated. Especially when you're not that heavy to begin with. Just keep doing what you're doing. The longer you keep going, you'll start to notice the patterns and they won't seem like such a big deal anymore.

I think much of weight loss success comes simply from being patient. Because it's a slow process. But it does work, just seems like it takes forever!
  • candacem1991
    candacem1991 Posts: 19 Member
    I agree with everything that has been said plus make sure to take pictures and measurements. I know sometimes I won't lose or maybe even go up a pound (even though I'm doing good) and I can still lose inches or be able to see a difference in pictures from just a few weeks before :smile: