Gluten free

Options
I was diagnosed with celiac disease and have to make sure I'm eating gluten free. It seems difficult to gain weight on this diet. I'm only up to 115.6 now, which is far from my goal. I'm eating 2,300 calories a day. What should I do/try? These pounds just aren't packing on. :/

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    More calorie dense foods will help you. Thankfully, most of them are fat based and don't have gluten. The below thread might be helpful. And remember, you can drink calories (chocolate milk would be my preference) if you can't eat more food.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

• DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If you want baked goods, almond flour and coconut flour are good substitutes (may require more eggs in the baking) for white flour. There are cookbooks available for such things (often labeled "paleo"). The Tinkyada brown rice pastas are GF and quite good (some of the closest to "regular" I've found) and especially stand up to baking in the oven so you can do things like macaroni and cheese (thicken the sauce with potato starch) or lasagna. It's easy to slip a bit of extra salad dressing into a meal, or an extra tablespoon of oil or two into some roasted vegetables. I think KIND bars and Quest bars are both gluten free, and there are lots of GF protein powders (the Nogii powders and bars are both good). Nuts and nut butters are calorie dense. I don't know much about GF bread (because I eat gluten) but there are some good GF crackers out there that you could spread nut butters on. Van's crackers are great, whole grain, and GF.

It may just take awhile, too. I know a girl who was ill throughout high school, and underweight. She was diagnosed with celiac, started eating GF, and her body became better able to absorb nutrients for food. She put on like 15 pounds in a year, without trying. Went from being anemic to having great iron levels. Etc.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have Crohn's disease and am also gluten free. In the past I had issues with eating and gaining weight. My doctor recommended the Carnation Instant Breakfast packets for me. I would blend them with milk and a banana and was able to tolerate them pretty well. Aside from giving me calories, they are also fortified with lots of vitamins. I also eat a lot of avocados, eggs and sweet potatoes.

ETA: I use the vanilla Carnation instant breakfast packets which do not contain wheat or gluten, but they are not certified GF do to possible cross contamination in the facilities. I have never experienced problems, but I may not be as sensitive as some. There may be other nutritional supplement drinks that are certified GF.
  • tattooedmama93
    tattooedmama93 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks, y'all! Hopefully I can use some of these tips and pack on some weight!
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Like what others mentioned eating healthy fats is a great way to add calories. I don't have any issues gaining, in fact it's the opposite for me. But I have celiac disease and found through elimination diets that I'm also sensitive to certified gluten free corn and oats. I am going for testing in another couple weeks because there are probably others. I'm also sensitive to soy, msg, and artificial flavours (I get migraines from those). It could be that other foods are also causing your gut damage.

Another thing to watch out for is cross contamination. When I was diagnosed I had already been gluten free, but my biopsy still had a lot of damage shown. My doctor said that it's really difficult to completely avoid gluten as even certified G/F food can still have up to 20 ppm of gluten. Many foods and spices have gluten hidden in binders, fillers, and anticaking agents. Even miniscule amounts can cause damage and a immune response. I was told to even avoid gluten free foods that are fried or grilled with gluten foods. You might think fries would be gluten free but if there's any gluten items that were fried in the same grease previously it's the same. I even got rid of all my wooden utensils.

Also, I'm not sure if you weigh everything you log, but if not I would start. I can be off either way if I don't weigh everything.

Good luck!
  • mixa4u
    mixa4u Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Eat 2600cals instead. Monitor weight, increase if weight is not growing.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My brother has celiacs and he's gained quite a bot now that his body isn't acting like it's being poisoned! Bisquick makes a gluten free mix that is great for cookies, pizza and breads. Things like avocado and peanut butter can also had some tasty calories to your day (not mixed together though!)
  • whit37k
    whit37k Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was also only about 115lbs when I was diagnosed since I had not been absorbing nutrients from my food for so long. One thing you have to be sure of is that you are being completely 100% GF. Gluten can hide in all kinds of places, and I have learned that even one incident of contaminating myself will set everything off again. Other than that I think everyone else's suggestions are great. I started gaining almost immediately after I started taking it super seriously and being very careful about what I was eating.
  • zoeandnimo
    zoeandnimo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How were you diagnosed? I'm struggling to gain weight also. Having an endoscopy next week and the dr said they could check for celiac during that procedure.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I also have Celiac, was diagnosed two years ago. I've had the same issue with trying to meet the calorie goals for "maintenance", as I just keep losing, and I really don't want to..I know it can be tough finding enough things to eat, calorie dense foods, to make up the difference from ditching gluten.....The last month I've started making up the calories with cherry ice cream. <3 Sounds crazy, but I love the stuff, and it really does bring the numbers up to a healthy level! Win Win!!!

Then there's nuts and peanut and other nut butters......fruit smoothies with a protein powder can be delicious, and feel like you're being bad at the same time, lots of calories there, if you want them...... protein bars can pack a nice punch, but check the labels, some include wheat and soy.

Good luck, I understand what you're struggling with.....it's hard enough trying not to eat the wrong things and end up sick, but trying to meet calorie goals at the same time can make it doubly stressful. It is doable, and it does get easier with time. Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Everyone
    What were your symptoms?
    What was your definitive diagnosis?