Overnight Oats - recipes and lower sugar

Options
I would like to try some overnight oats.

I'm looking at different recipes and the sugar grams seem to be rather high on the recipes I've looked at so far.
How many sugar grams does a typical overnight oats recipe have?

What are some overnight oats recipes that have a low amount of sugar?
Or what is a good way to avoid having too much sugar in the overnight oats?
The yogurt and milk will naturally have some sugar - are there any substitutes that are recommended with lower amounts of sugar?

I like greek yogurt and I have instant steel cut oats, so I'll probably start with that if everyone thinks that would work well.

I'm open to any types of milk. Which is best if trying to stay lower on sugar?

Thanks much!!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I usually use protein powder in mine, so there's almost no sugar. Or just stevia.

Why the sugar hate?
  • ahayden2015
    ahayden2015 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love sugar - it just doesn't love me. :)
    Really only because if I want a dessert type thing later in the day, it'll have sugar so I want to avoid sugar at breakfast so I don't go over in sugar for the entire day.
  • 321sjs
    321sjs Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Here is one of my favorites. Almost all the sugar is from the cherries. I hate long posts but am doing screen shots of the recipe so you can see the specific products I used.
    mypfn8gtonug.png
    zficqz6nv6to.png

• cblairnh
    cblairnh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Almond Breeze - Unsweetened Almond Milk Vanilla, 60 ml
    Blackberries - Raw, 30 g
    Blueberries - Raw, 30 g
    Strawberries - Fresh, 30 g
    Old Wessex 100% Whole Grain 5 Grain Cereal, 30 g
    Total 0% Fage - 0% Greek Yogurt Plain, 30 g

This is what I used for my last serving of overnight oats. (I used a rolled grain blend for this batch but I've also made it with rolled oats.) The total sugar was 6 grams -- 3 for the blueberries, 2 for the strawberries, and 1 each for the blackberries and yogurt. It makes a good bowlful for under 200 calories. If it's been in the fridge more than a day, I add a little more almond milk.
  • shannonpinkneysp
    shannonpinkneysp Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    PB Chocolate is my go to

1/2 C rolled oats
    2 heaping Tbs flax meal
    2 Tbs PB2 powder
    1 tsp stevia
    1 tsp cocoa powder
    1 C Original Unsweetened Almond Breeze (30 cal)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Sugar is mentioned 8 times in this post. Shuuggaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    321sjs wrote: »
    Here is one of my favorites. Almost all the sugar is from the cherries. I hate long posts but am doing screen shots of the recipe so you can see the specific products I used.
    mypfn8gtonug.png
    zficqz6nv6to.png

Yeah you could just not use any sugar like this guy here.

Would taste awful to me though.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you can give up the sweetness, you can go as low as you want on the sugar.

You could make savoury overnight oats, seasoning with salt, pepper, nuts, and bacon bits. You could cut out the milk altogether and soak in water.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to thread jack but I can't even figure out what kind of oats to use. Are regular rolled Quaker oats OK? Not the instant, but the kind you make oatmeal cookies with that come in the cylinder canister?

Even in the health food store I was confused. The only thing that said Steel Cut oats on the bag also said instant. The directions involved a microwave & the "oats" were ground into like a powder, they were even smaller then Quaker Oats. The oats that looked bigger -- & I'm equating the bigger oat with a whole grain unless that is a mistake? -- anyway, they said "rolled oats" which I thought was no good.

Can somebody please enlighten me about the base, then you can return to your regularly scheduled recipe exchange. :*
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Not instant oats.....look for rolled oats. Ones that look like they do in muesli.
  • cblairnh
    cblairnh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Muesli is really good in overnight oats. I used Bob's Red Mill which had raisins and coconut. I put in chopped apples as the additional fruit and some cinnamon to complement the raisins. (Raisins and berries didn't sound like a good combo.)
  • mumfy23
    mumfy23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just do 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk and cup of whatever fresh fruit I have.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I use natural Quaker rolled oats with soya milk and chia seeds overnight, then add fruits like blueberries & raspberries, date nectar and crushed nuts on top. You don't need to add yogurt if you want less sugar.
  • witheredbonniesteam
    witheredbonniesteam Posts: 19 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I really like my oats in the morning ever since I saw obese to Beast making his in the morning. It might be a little heavy for some, but it keeps me satisfied until lunch ✨✨✨

-1cup of rolled oats (330cal)
    -1cup water
    -1tbs of peanut butter (90 cal)

1.Let oats soak overnight if u have the time, if not used the quick cook ones :smiley:, 2.fill water until it covers over oats SLIGHTLY 3.microwave for 2min or as directed in the oats, add pb once out and you're done ! Good look :tongue:
  • ahayden2015
    ahayden2015 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. I got all the ingredients I want to try. I just need to prep it now - probably will try some next week.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

I've been into the idea of savory oatmeal lately, and that just looks amazing!