Question about sodium?

Options
How much sodium is a healthy amount to consume in one day?

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    MFP has a limit in your food goals list which ... do you know what that is?
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    It should be 2363mg of sodium which is 6g of salt. I half that as I have raised blood pressure and want to cut down on salt.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I try not to go over the 2300mg that is listed under goals. I hate bloating so I make an effort to keep it close or under 2300. It also helps to prevent water retention.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. I have very low blood pressure (even sometimes in the high 70s systolic) so my doctor dsata I can eat as much salt as I want- but most don't get that free pass. Around 2,000 mg is pretty standard for the average person
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    It depends on the person.

In terms of minimums: The absolute minimum is 500 mg/day of sodium, but if you sweat a lot or are drinking a lot of liquids, such as you might if you are doing endurance exercise, you need significantly more.

In terms of maximums: If your blood pressure is normal, and you have no kidney problems, the upper limit for what is safe will be very high, as long as you drink sufficient water for the amount of sodium you take in. If you have high blood pressure and it responds to sodium/potassium, or if you have certain kidney issues which prevent your kidneys from properly regulating sodium, speak to a doctor about what the upper limit should be for you.

Pretty much this.. the more active you are the more electrolytes you should consume, which sodium is a part of it. I personally aim for 4000 to 5000 a day. My wife needs 10,000mg because she has POTS.

If you are healthy without conditions i wouldnt stress it too much. But i would focus on getting plenty of magnesium and potassium to help provide balance.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

In terms of minimums: The absolute minimum is 500 mg/day of sodium, but if you sweat a lot or are drinking a lot of liquids, such as you might if you are doing endurance exercise, you need significantly more.

In terms of maximums: If your blood pressure is normal, and you have no kidney problems, the upper limit for what is safe will be very high, as long as you drink sufficient water for the amount of sodium you take in. If you have high blood pressure and it responds to sodium/potassium, or if you have certain kidney issues which prevent your kidneys from properly regulating sodium, speak to a doctor about what the upper limit should be for you.

Pretty much this.. the more active you are the more electrolytes you should consume, which sodium is a part of it. I personally aim for 4000 to 5000 a day. My wife needs 10,000mg because she has POTS.

If you are healthy without conditions i wouldnt stress it too much. But i would focus on getting plenty of magnesium and potassium to help provide balance.

Lemon do you have to deal with any water retention at those levels of sodium?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Lemon do you have to deal with any water retention at those levels of sodium?

I gain about 2 lbs with weight training but i dont get much from sodium. I workout real hard and sweat like crazy. I also work on getting plenty of mag and pot. I know with women though, it can occur a but more.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I've hit near 3000mg way too many times this week, the scale hasn't budged and I feel like a bloaty mcbloat bloat!
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Food guides in N.A. say 2400, but elsewhere around the world, and other sources list 1500 as a much better basic level.

Interestingly, it ALL depends on the person.

I would say though, that a general rule of thumb would be to NEVER add extra salt :smile:
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I've hit near 3000mg way too many times this week, the scale hasn't budged and I feel like a bloaty mcbloat bloat!

How is your pot and mag? Have you also increase carbs, fiber or exercise? Or near TOM.

Tons of variables but bodies are no different than oceans. We have highs and lows.
  • Christine_72
    Options

How is your pot and mag? Have you also increase carbs, fiber or exercise? Or near TOM.

Tons of variables but bodies are no different than oceans. We have highs and lows.

Magnesium is good, potassium i have no idea, going off the numbers here.. I know it's the higher than usual sodium, i recognise the systems. It's winter and cold here right now so i'm struggling to drink enough water which def isn't helping.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    faidwen wrote: »
    Food guides in N.A. say 2400, but elsewhere around the world, and other sources list 1500 as a much better basic level.

Interestingly, it ALL depends on the person.

I would say though, that a general rule of thumb would be to NEVER add extra salt :smile:

At one point my husband was on a 1500mg sodium restriction. I cooked 99.9% from scratch and even then it's HARD to hit that level. No added salt ever. Using leavening replacements in baking. Doing bizarre things to yeast recipes. Even 80% of grocery store fresh meat is "enhanced" with "broth." (Aka injected with salt water to extend shelf life and increase revenue). Thank goodness his heart and kidneys recovered from the viral attack and he can eat normally again, though we do keep an eye on sodium because it's such a habit now.
  • BootyfulMonster
    BootyfulMonster Posts: 8 Member
    Options

This was helpful, thank you(:
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Sodium is important for electrolyte balance. There's no real need to limit unless you're sensitive, you just pee and sweat it out. I do ketogenic eating, so I require upwards of 3,000mg since I drink water constantly and I do not retain a lot of water.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I don't track it. My blood work is fine, I work out in my garage, and I run outside. I need salt and the concerns regarding sodium have been demonstrated to be overblown for healthy people. How's the rest of your diet?
  • AussiePeach
    AussiePeach Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have to ensure I take in extra electrolytes because I sweat so very much at my physical job during summer.