New and lots of weight to lose!

Options
I joined this site yesterday with the sole intention of making use of the fantastic food and exercise trackers but I have been browsing the forum and think this will be a really good source of support!
I am from the UK and I have been on the Diet Chef program since last Thursday. It's very early days but so far so good. I need to learn about portion control which is my biggest issue but I also have a hectic career and find meal planning difficult which is why I decided to give Diet Chef a go.
I have been overweight most of my life but it has never stopped me doing anything and I have always been very active. However, over the past eight months I gained over 30lbs as work took over my life and I stopped going to the gym and ate a lot of junk food. In February I had a healthscare (heart related) which has spurred me on to change my relationship with food once and for all! I started back at the gym about 3 weeks ago and that has been tough going!
I have over 100lbs to loose and would be really pleased to make some friends who are in or have been in a similar position so we can support and encourage eachother over the coming months.

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • jennahiggins
    jennahiggins Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I had 130 to lose, now 112. Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • kaylemartin
    kaylemartin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Welcome - I'm from the UK also (Wales). Feel free to add me :)
  • sbrouillet
    sbrouillet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Welcome.. You can do it. This site is wonderful for support. I have just over 100lbs to loose, just recently got serious about it.

Add me is you would like.

Have a happy healthy day!
  • daverno
    daverno Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Welcome to another 100plus loser.

Plenty of support and motivation here. Best of luck.
  • msgardner47
    msgardner47 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I really enjoy this site and the support and movtivation from others. Hope you get the same :smile:
  • weluvdizne
    weluvdizne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here, too. I also have a lot of weight to lose. I have started limiting my portions. I will say that the best thing I did was to buy myself a pedometer. I thought I lived an active lifestyle. I have 3 kids and am running after them. Well, surprise, the first few days I had the pedometer, I realized how little I really was moving. So, I started going for walks. It became a game for me to try to get my pedometer number up as high as I could for the day. Within a week, I could notice a change in my endurance and stamina. I have been increasing the distance of my walks and keep watching that pedometer number climb. It's been fun. BUT, I've been at this for a month before I finally saw the scale budge, but the past 3 days, I've lost a pound per day!!! I'm sure it will slow down, but I'm just greatful to see the scale finally move.
    Anyway, this is what's been working for me. I hope it helps somebody else. Oh, btw, the pedometer was onlly $5, so a cheap investment that has really payed off.
    Good Luck!
  • oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    Hello! We have similar stories -- I started Diet Chef in April and found it very helpful as a starting point. I found DC very helpful in terms of showing me what *normal* portion sizes look like. I still supplement my meals with DC meals and snacks occasionally, but have found it's cheaper to shop at the supermarket, though obviously I'm losing the convenience of not having to "cook" DC meals -- it just didn't make sense to do my DC meals AND cook dinner for my husband, so now we mostly eat the same thing (and he's lost weight as a result without even trying!).

My highest weight was 329 around Christmas and I started MFP at 322. It's been 10 weeks and I've lost 21 pounds, so I'm losing right on track with what MFP says I'll lose. That's enough proof for me, so I'm sticking with MFP! :smile:

Clearly I have loads of weight to lose and would like to get down to 170 (which I realise is still overweight, but it's the lowest weight I can remember being!). Once I get there, I'll reevaluate and see what I want to do.
  • dusk1977
    dusk1977 Posts: 295
    Options
    welcome, this is a great site and the people are really friendly :happy:
  • sumergoedo
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the replies. It seems there are quite a few people in the same boat as me which makes me feel a lot better. I did wonder if there would be anyone out there with so much weight to lose!
    Weluvdizne - a pedometer sounds like a great idea. It would be good to challange myself to increase the number higher every day.
    Obirdieo - I intend using Diet Chef as a starting point as you did. I have to supplement with additional vegetables and for example I had some grilled chicken yesterday as I need more calories than the diet provides at the moment but the convenience is such a plus for me!
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    LOG LOG LOG AND WEIGH/MEASURE FOOD...........REMEMBER THIS FORMULA..........TIME OVER CONSISTANCY!!!! IT CAN TAKE YEARS BUT NOTHING FEELS BETTER THAN THIN!
  • sumergoedo
    Options
    I am logging absolutely everything. I don't have too much measuring to do as I have all my meals delivered on my diet program but it has been a lesson as to how much I was overeating! I can have for example 40g dry weight wholewheat pasta to supplement some of my meals - I would guess I would have served myself about 4 times that previously!
  • cdl8
    cdl8 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Welcom to this wonderful and supportive site!!! I have lost 30 pounds and have 40 more to go! Friend me if you'd like. I would love more support!!! :smile:
  • Ritamas2
    Ritamas2 Posts: 319
    Options
    Hello and welcome,
    I too have 105 lbs to lose, so you are in good company here,
    there are lots of us that have alot to lose, some folks have lost alot as well
    You'll find much support here.

Good luck with meeting all of your goals, please feel free to add me :smile:
  • jus_me77
    jus_me77 Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to the boards. I have over 100 pounds to lose. You will find lots of amazing support here. I will send you a friend request.
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi i also had over 100 pounds to lose, i'm from hampshire uk. Add me if u like, good luck. mandy
  • beamishcas
    beamishcas Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Welcome and feel free to add me as a friend Loving the support and motivation from all my My Fitness Pals. :)
  • Beeger79
    Beeger79 Posts: 7
    Options
    I have around 100 pounds to lose and decided that I need to get serious about it.
    Counting calories is going alright. I really need to learn portion size. In just one day, I am shocked at how much I was overeating.
    I just hope that THIS time I make lifestyle changes that will serve me for the rest of my life, not just til the weight is off.
    I've yo yoed before and I don't ever want to do that again. I'm not too proud to say I'm gonna need a lot of encouragement to keep from backsliding into my old bad habits, so please friend me if you will!
  • NWLARealtor57
    NWLARealtor57 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Welcome and if you have any question feel free to ask one of us, this site has a great support team!:smile:
  • jasyjen
    jasyjen Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm new too, so welcome! I logged in that I want to lose 50 lbs, but I really could afford to lose close to 60. It seems like a long way away, doesn't it? LOL