Do you lie to your food diary?

Options
I remember when I would binge on cookies, I would only "admit" to my food diary that I had 1.

You know it's an issue when you lie to a notebook that no one but you will read! LOL

But the main problem is that I thought I was doing everything right for weight loss but I would "forget" about all of those binge episodes and only complain about the positive things I had done that weren't leading to results.

What about you?

Replies

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I try not to. I honestly believe that for this to succeed you have to be honest with yourself and if you don't record your only cheating yourself.

It's the old adage the truth will set you free. You also have to realize this is a long-term journey and not a Sprint. You'll have bad days and if you just acknowledge those bad days you'll understand why you're not succeeding the Way You Are
  • aloughery645
    aloughery645 Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    No sometimes I don't add iced tea to it because it's just a few sips here and there so my sugar doesn't drop however sometimes it's hard to choose the correct entry for certain foods I try to use the bar code scanner as much as I can but somethings you just can't scan
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    That would be like lying to myself. It would be difficult to explain certain problematic patterns and trends if I couldn't go back and look at my diary and find accurate info there. How could I make adjustments if I didn't know for sure what the problem was?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    No. There's no point because me lying won't change the fact that I drank 3 beers and ate an entire pint of Talenti tonight.....what?

Thanks, now I want Talenti when I used my last calories on Hershey Kisses :(
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,668 Member
    Options
    It is one of the common reasons why people have un-explained lack of success. And it wouldn't have to even be "deliberate" like marking one cookie instead of 5.

People sometimes "lose track" and give up for the day. And either put down nothing, or 10000 calories as a quick add.

What both actions do is make the log useless as a source of information about how/why they got off-track (low day the day before, too many hours without food, trigger items, what have you)

I usually suggest to friends that they close their log until they get their logging back under control. In many cases this has helped.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Log everything. If anything, I cheat myself by estimating high on a lot of things. :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    When I got off track last year I did, because I wanted to make it look better. Now I keep it private, so the only person who sees it is me and I can hold myself accountable better.

I've always had my diary private. I didn't think about that. I suppose one might be tempted to fudge the numbers so to speak, if they thought they'd be judged. I think I'd feel a bit naked if everything I had on MFP was on full public view. Glad you went private if that was able to help you stay honest and accountable!
  • greatatboats
    greatatboats Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    a) You should definitely watch Secret Eaters, you can find some episodes on YouTube

b) I kind of did this yesterday. I knowingly/purposefully had Chinese takeout for dinner. I didn't measure anything, but I tried to highball the numbers. I know I was going to be over yesterday (although I don't think I ate over maintenance), but I just really could not be effed to put more effort into it.

I do try and log my food as I eat it, though. There was definitely a day or two where I thought I was doing well and then went, "Oh crap, I totally forgot about that olive oil" and had to pace around my apartment a bit to burn it off.
  • supersmiles11
    supersmiles11 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If I'm honest I have done but since re-starting 6 days ago I haven't. Have decided there is no point. I really want to do this properly for me this time round. :-) On that note if anyone fancies being my friend on my new journey please add me!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Nope. My diary is open to my friends and is 100% reflecting what I ate that day whether I'm on target or over/under on my calories. There's no point in omissions because they don't help. I even log chewing gum.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Nope I log everything. Even binges. If I ate 20 cookies it's getting logged. It helps me to go back to the day in question and ask myself.... why I did that, how did I feel afterwards,etc. Revisiting those thoughts help me not to eat 20 cookies in a sitting again.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    That would kinda destroy the purpose!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    No, but I keep my log private because I don't want everyone else to know
  • Lisa1660
    Lisa1660 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    No...I even had a SOL beer and put it one there... Why lie only really hurting you in the end.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't see the point of keeping a food diary if its going to be a lie- ain't no money in the fiction genre of the food diary biz ;)