Protein shakes=hard to drink??

Options
lmass1230
lmass1230 Posts: 4 Member
Anyone else have a hard time drinking protein shakes?

Replies

• happydance1978
    happydance1978 Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I like to add something like a fruit or mint if it's chocolate...and lots of ice and blended not just shaken. I mainly use brown rice protein because most protein shakes are flavored with pineapple and I'm allergic. BAH.
  • 285to170
    285to170 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    What type of protein powder are you using? I use ONs extreme milk chocolate. I mean it's not chocolate milk but it's drinkable, blends easily, and has nice flavour. I was using a different brand that literally made me hurl before. Shop around.
  • GroundedOne2019
    GroundedOne2019 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Ya gotta fine a good one! Have you tired shakeology?
    lmass1230 wrote: »

• joelo_83
    joelo_83 Posts: 218 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    As far as mass produced whey, Cellucor is what you want friend. Their flavors are the best I've had amongs 10-15 different brands I've tried over the years.

That being said, THE BEST whey flavors hands down, go to truenutrition.com and get yourself a custom blend with the flavor of your choosing. I took delivery yesterday of 10lbs of a post workout carb/protein mix in lemon creme flavor that is spectacular.

What makes protein powders hard to drink is 1. Mixability, 2. Purity, and 3. Taste in that order.

1. If it won't mix well , you're going to feel like you're chugging milk curds as you swallow the un mixed chunks. This usually happens due to the addition of creatine or lipid based products that don't easily go into suspension (i.e. Generic or Walmart branded stuff) ON and cellucor both mix exceptionally well as far as store-bought brands go

2. The way that the protein is filtered plays a big role. Due to FDA regulations (or lack thereof) there's no way to know if a whey is filtered via ion exchange, cold water or just physical separation without taking a trip to the manufacturer .. so you're having to rely on the name brands for consistency and quality. Another plug for truenutrition's products. Best quality I've ever used. Generally speaking, whey isolate is more refined and purer than whey concentrate . Check out the ingredients on the back of the bottle.

3. Taste is super subjective but my opinion was already stated above.

I've tried a bunch so if you're looking into any particular ones, just ask and I'll give you my $0.02 if I've tried it.

Disclaimer - I'm just a regular Joe Schmo and am not endorsed or sponsored by any brand (unfortunately) lol
  • Stronger4_life
    Stronger4_life Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of MuscleTech 100% Premium Gold in the Chocolate. I mix it with unsweetened Almond Milk. Post-Workout, I add a banana
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Vega Sport Protein ;)
  • lmass1230
    lmass1230 Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thank you all a lot I will try these new protein shakes. @joelo_83 @tapwaters @Kimberly_Phillips
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

Love them
  • Stronger4_life
    Stronger4_life Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    @lmass1230 I just bought this tonight...trying it for the first time and LOVE the taste. I like it because I can drink it post-workout and at night before bed since it also has Casein protein (slow digesting). It contains 5 different proteins.
    vtyffdoknj2s.jpeg
  • tmi_gang
    tmi_gang Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate protein shakes.. But I also don't decorate mine. I just use almond milk and the mix. I should probably do what everyone else says.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I can't drink them at all. I should also include I do not like flavored milk or milkshakes or smoothies.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I personally like Nature's Bounty Optimal Protien Powder, Chocolate. Mixes well and has lots of vitamins and petsonally I like the taste. ..I mix mine with unsweetened almond milk
  • GroundedOne2019
    GroundedOne2019 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I was spammed!! Oops! Won't mention it again!!
    Ya gotta fine a good one! Have you tired shakeology?