Half marthon training and weight training?

Options
I am currently using most of my energy for running. I plan on running a half marathon in 13 weeks. I ran a half last summer but due to a messy separation, divorce and lack of will power my weight is about 10 to 15 pounds heavier than my half last summer.
I would like to get serious about taking off 5 to 10 pounds of that to make my race smoother. I have never been crazing about weight lifting. I have done body pump here and there but due to running and working it's gone out the window.
I am seriously thinking of joining Planet fitness to supplement my YMCA membership to take advantage of what looks like a slower gym plus the hours they are open are appealing and so is the guess passes.
My question is can weight training and training for my half marathon go hand and hand? Ideally, my goal is to have at least one long run per week where I can add on to it when I am not hurting for time.. and two shorter runs probably between 4 to six miles.
I know to drop the weight I have to get more serious with logging my calories and practice more will power.
Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I was a sluggish runner for years before I started weight training. Strength training gave me more power, which increased my pace. It had no noticeable negative effects and it was a nice change of pace from just running all the time. I haven't had any running injuries since I began strength training either. I highly recommend!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Do you do the free weights or the machines?
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm doing exactly that - half training 3x/week and weight lifting 2x/week. There's a little juggling of programs to make it work, but its doable.

I'm about 6 weeks into a 20week program. Weekly mileage is only around 12, but will top out around 22. Even now, there are several days a week that my legs feel pretty rough, but I'm managing to hit my long run targets without any issues.

I think the weight lifting has helped a lot. I feel stronger, my pace is a little quicker but my endurance is worlds better than before.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are compatible. You'll just have to work out the best schedule for each based on your need for rest.
  • ausrunninggal
    ausrunninggal Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon last weekend!
    I continued all of my normal weight training during my program, only dropping leg workouts the week before.. didn't want to be running with doms!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You can include weight training without compromising your running training. You might struggle a little at the beginning as your body adapts to the extra work. The best way to minimize that is to start with lighter weights and increase volume and intensity gradually.

Resistance training can help your running in a couple of ways: one, you can increase speed by improving the amount of force in your push off (I.e. Stronger legs); two, you can maintain pace during the race--esp during the last part--more easily if you have stronger legs and a stronger upper body.

If you are not lifting currently, then it doesn't make much difference whether you use body weight, free weights, or machines. All will increase strength, and all will increase "functional" strength. There are some exercises that are more geared for runners and you can easily google that subject. However, there is no need to waste time looking for a "perfect" routine. Even a basic circuit of machines will be beneficial and likely improve your running performance.
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm doing both. I just started Stronglifts 5x5 (great beginner weight lifting program), but have adjusted the program based on my running needs. I found that doing 5 sets of squats makes running difficult the next day, so I lightened it up a bit.

This is what seems to work for me...

Sun - Stronglifts 5x5 (5 sets of squats)
    Mon - Off day
    Tue - Run
    Wed - Stronglifts 5x5 (2-3 sets of squats)
    Thu - Run
    Fri - Stronglifts 5x5 (2-3 sets of squats)
    Sat - Run
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should do both. Strength training helps prevent injuries.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    sbl1881 wrote: »
    I'm doing both. I just started Stronglifts 5x5 (great beginner weight lifting program), but have adjusted the program based on my running needs. I found that doing 5 sets of squats makes running difficult the next day, so I lightened it up a bit.

Mon - Off day
    Tue - Run
    Thu - Run
    Sat - Run

Ah, great idea - I want to start incorporating SL into my week, but my current focus is running. Each time I try SL I screw up my running schedule and have to stop for a few days. Reducing the sets of squats may be a good way of eating in without negatively affecting my runs - I plan to switch focus to SL over the winter when running outside in the morning is less appealing....
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    You can add weight lifting or strength training to your running routine, however I'm not sure it would be wise to eat at a deficit while training for a half marathon and weight lifting. Your muscles will need lots of nourishment, not sure that would work out while doing 3...
    That I completed my first half marathon last month, and this week I have added in strength training to my regime. I do strength training 3x a week and I run 6 miles 3x a week, and have 1 day of rest. I'm feeling pretty beat up today, my hamstrings are the sorest, and I'm up 3lbs in weight, Im hoping it is just water weight...
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Mon - Off day
    Tue - Run
    Thu - Run
    Sat - Run

I am so glad to see someone say this. It's kinda been my beef.
    People in these forums ask: 'Can I train for a race and start weight training at the same time?' And they get the response: 'Sure. Weight training makes your legs stronger, which makes you faster. And, people who do whole-body training get fewer injuries.'
    I read those and I am flabbergasted! I think they are posted by people who work out, and maybe run occasionally.
    Yes, you can do a few lunges and push-ups and planks. But, when you "weight train" your muscles are shot the next day. They are recovering. You will not run very well the next day -- especially if you are doing a program like Stronglifts, which is heavy on the lower body (squats and deadlifts).
    If you try to lift three days a week, you are recovering every run you take (the other alternating days).
    When you are recovering you are not running well.
    You are not "training for your race."
    I like this suggestion because the squats are modified, They've been cut back a bit.
    You cannot get appreciably better at two things at once. You can train to get better at one, and use the other as an accessory to the first thing. But you cannot easily do the two things seriously at once.
  • lolwtfisthis
    lolwtfisthis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »

Mon - Off day
    Tue - Run
    Thu - Run
    Sat - Run

People in these forums ask: 'Can I train for a race and start weight training at the same time?' And they get the response: 'Sure. Weight training makes your legs stronger, which makes you faster. And, people who do whole-body training get fewer injuries.'
    I read those and I am flabbergasted! I think they are posted by people who work out, and maybe run occasionally.
    Yes, you can do a few lunges and push-ups and planks. But, when you "weight train" your muscles are shot the next day. They are recovering. You will not run very well the next day -- especially if you are doing a program like Stronglifts, which is heavy on the lower body (squats and deadlifts).
    If you try to lift three days a week, you are recovering every run you take (the other alternating days).
    I like this suggestion because the squats are modified, They've been cut back a bit.
    You cannot get appreciably better at two things at once. You can train to get better at one, and use the other as an accessory to the first thing. But you cannot easily do the two things seriously at once.

I beg to differ. A runner will use strength training to complement his/her running. You can easily train 3-5 times a week and still run without problems, you just have to adapt your strength training so that it fulfills its (in this case) very specific purpose. And as with most things you will have to adapt yourself, and that takes some time.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I use Fitness Blender's Cross Training program. So, I paid $15 for a program of free programs, but they organize them so I cover all muscle groups and don't go back to back on any. And I run 3-4 times a week (5 miles, 5 miles and 10 miles with a short 3 miler thrown in somewhere. Being stronger is always a good thing. Since I will never be a world class runner, all round fitness has become my goal.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I was a sluggish runner for years before I started weight training. Strength training gave me more power, which increased my pace. It had no noticeable negative effects and it was a nice change of pace from just running all the time. I haven't had any running injuries since I began strength training either. I highly recommend!

Couldn't agree more but I will however add that the first 2 weeks to 1 month is like torture training. Once you break through the pain you definitely won't look back.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Mon - Off day
    Tue - Run
    Thu - Run
    Sat - Run

I would suggest that unless you are making your living by one or the other activity, mixing cardio and strength training, while not optimizing either will produce a more "fit" human being. More beneficial to someone's overall health than skipping one to get a 3rd place age group medal in the Littletown 5k or a local YMCA powerlifting meet.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do both and improve at both. The key is smart programing to maximize rest & recovery. No wasted exercises. However, dieting while trying this is not going to be conducive to the recovery part.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    You can absolutely do both and improve at both. The key is smart programing to maximize rest & recovery. No wasted exercises. However, dieting while trying this is not going to be conducive to the recovery part.

Agreed.

And just to emphasize -
    1) recovery is really important.
    2) doing and progressing in all 3 (dieting, running, weight raining) will be REALLY hard. I suggest picking 2 to focus on.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Mon - Off day
    Tue - Run
    Thu - Run
    Sat - Run

While I don't disagree, I think it's important to be clear about one's goals.

If someone wanted to train maximally for something (i.e. see the most efficient/effective progress), then yes... doing anything outside that activity will be detrimental.

But most people don't fall into that category. Most people have several goals, and sometimes those goals conflict with each other, especially if you start talking in terms of optimal progress. Yes, people can most definitely make progress lifting and running at the same time. Will their progress be as fast as it could be if they focused solely on one goal? No, probably not. But that doesn't mean they can't progress.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Mon - Off day
    Tue - Run
    Thu - Run
    Sat - Run

Well- half of me says "That's not true at all." Then you sort of change tones toward the end and I find myself nodding in agreement. I absolutely agree with the idea that the more focused you get in to your goal- and the more specialized- then the less "Well rounded" you become in terms of your training. The training for the goal takes priority of accessories- like marathon training is a part time job. You'll have a hard time squeezing in family life- training- recovery days AND lifting. It's going to be hard. Just for sheer amount of time. Powerlifters aren't going to be doing long steady state runs- it's not useful and it's going to be hard.

BUT. you absolutely can weight train AND run- you just have to be smart about it. and no I'm not talking about a couple of push ups and pull ups and call it a day.

I trained for a half last year- and I switched to a flat push pull 2x a week workout- and I ran reasonably well through my training (on a program).

I lost very little strength and maintained mostly sub 10 minute miles for my training runs and I ran a 1:58 very very hilly 1/2.

You absolutely can do both. I never felt my runs truly suffered and I never felt my lifts truly suffered- yeah you have off days- and I am way to type A to truly recover so I had not good days- but I never really had a day where I couldn't do either of my programming.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Mon - Off day
    Tue - Run
    Thu - Run
    Sat - Run

While I don't disagree, I think it's important to be clear about one's goals.

If someone wanted to train maximally for something (i.e. see the most efficient/effective progress), then yes... doing anything outside that activity will be detrimental.

But most people don't fall into that category. Most people have several goals, and sometimes those goals conflict with each other, especially if you start talking in terms of optimal progress. Yes, people can most definitely make progress lifting and running at the same time. Will their progress be as fast as it could be if they focused solely on one goal? No, probably not. But that doesn't mean they can't progress.

Jackson got me like a bobble head at work today nodding with this.