Do you lie to your food diary?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't lie per se. I get lazy sometimes and couldn't be bothered getting up and weighing the portion of chips i just took out the bag that hubby is eating while we're on the couch, so i don't log it as i have no idea how much or how many calories i just ate. The only times I omit logging is when i have bits and pieces offered to me by my husband, like crackers, chips, a chocolate covered almond etc etc. So i totally blame HIM lol :lol:
  • Konigboy
    Konigboy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't lie, but get lazy sometimes. If it's something I eat regularly and say 4 ounces is 120 calories, if I weigh and only have 2.5 ounces, will just use the last entry of that item for 4. Most my diary is that way, it looks as if I eat the same portion, but if less, use the higher count. Now if the portion is actually larger, will increase the amount. I don't log my fluid, as I drink between a gallon or 2 a day, have no issues there. I also don't log vitamins or a tasting bite or sip. I don't eat back my exercise calories and usually always have 500+ there, so not a big issue.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ^^^ yes exercise calories can create a buffer. I try and leave 200-300 calories in my diary every day.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Lying in your food diary is you lying to yourself and hindering your own weight loss progress. Your body counts the calories, so why would you lie? You're just screwing yourself over. It isn't like the only calories that get counted are the ones you log...your body KNOWS what you did last night. ;) Also, how are you supposed to help yourself if you're not being honest with yourself? Logging that binge and logging honestly is a HUGE eye opener and it helps us to get back on track.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I used to. Then I remembered my sister eating in secret, because she was SO tall, and a little overweight, she didn't want anyone to know how much she was eating, so she'd eat in secret, often.

I realized that not logging it wouldn't make me thinner, but logging might help me learn what works, and where i can make changes.

I do have diabetes, so I'll get low bg sometimes, and those logs are highly inaccurate, because I don't measure, and it's often in the middle of the night. But those haven't derailed me, I just have to learn that when I'm exercising, I need more carbs and/or less meds. And I'm always less hungry the next day.
  • GirlonBliss
    GirlonBliss Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ponycyndi wrote: »

I realized that not logging it wouldn't make me thinner, but logging might help me learn what works, and where i can make changes.

Ohhh I think this is brilliant!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Huh. Who sees your diary but you? I mean. Lying to it.... I don't get it :)
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Shana67 wrote: »
    Huh. Who sees your diary but you? I mean. Lying to it.... I don't get it :)

I agree. Whom am I lying to? Me.

I'd log it so as not to forget about it. YMMV.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I remember when I would binge on cookies, I would only "admit" to my food diary that I had 1.

You know it's an issue when you lie to a notebook that no one but you will read! LOL

But the main problem is that I thought I was doing everything right for weight loss but I would "forget" about all of those binge episodes and only complain about the positive things I had done that weren't leading to results.

What about you?

No way. it does no good to lie to yourself.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I find that I genuinely forget things like the dressing I had on my salad at lunch, or the glass of wine I had with it. But why lie to my food diary? The only person I'm fooling if I don't log something is myself. And then there's days like yesterday when I prelogged my planned dessert, but I wasn't feeling very good and went to bed without it. Tonight, when we were discussing what to have for dinner, I said, "I'd love chicken tikka kabob, but I don't think I have enough calories left." And my husband reminded me that I didn't eat those 250 calories last night, I could add them to tonight without guilt. BOORAH!
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    nope. but sometimes if i have enough calories left over for the days, i might not log something. But usually i log it the next day cause i feel guilty.
  • Kelbelb75
    Kelbelb75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    No, never in the short time I have been logging. I stopped lying to myself, guess that's why I haven't :) I think you wouldn't be the only one who has ever lied to their diary. Try to work out why you feel the need to do it and go from there.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Thinking out loud...Could this be because you don't want to actually see the amount of calories you binged on? I would think logging the binge would be helpful. You may see how many calories an actual binge costs.

I'm pretty new to the calorie counting thing and I've not had a binge yet but should I "fall of the wagon" so to speak I will log it. I think it would help me get a better grasp on things.
  • GirlonBliss
    GirlonBliss Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    Thinking out loud...Could this be because you don't want to actually see the amount of calories you binged on? I would think logging the binge would be helpful. You may see how many calories an actual binge costs. .

Thanks! I'm a health coach now (lost 40 pounds and haven't had weight issues in 6 years). I think people want to make a change but admitting to yourself where you're self-sabotaging is really tough and you have to be open to that before being able to make changes :)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm aware of... :| but I do know that logging can be hard sometimes. I don't give myself permission not to log because those little bites here and there add up and if I feel I am allowed to eat without logging it will get out of control fast.

I do however give myself permission to eyeball. Eyeballing is way better than not logging at all, imo. And quick adding a chunk of calories for a treat day where you don't want to log is better than leaving the diary empty. I use 4000 calories for this because I know if I take the brakes off I generally eat around 3500. The benefit of it is I know that some damage has been done and it doesn't become "invisible".
  • displaced1
    displaced1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have "neglected" to log everything in the past but I try hard to be diligent now. I also put notes in my diary: when I've been sick, tired, emotional. I take a look at protein for the day and vitamins to find patterns. I see the size of breakfast to see if that's a problem. But I also have a more fluid mindset about calories in/out. I try to average calories over the week to be in a deficit. I know what is approximately maintence for me so I work hard to at least be under that number. But this only works if I have more info in my diary. I also intentionally have dessert most days to feel more satisfied.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    No, what's the point? You're only lying to yourself and hurting your own progress in the end. Plus, if I wasn't losing weight I would want to know why. I would be so frustrated if I wasn't losing weight but according to my diary I ate perfectly all week
  • BarbellzNBrotein
    BarbellzNBrotein Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I think most people do tbh. In all the time I've been on here (years) seldom I come across someone who is willing to log a binge log. The ones that do log it usually announce it beforehand, their post then becomes a platform for others to show support. That rarely happens. So it seems the majority of people are eating absolutely perfectly which is a lie because that would mean most people would be at their goal which isn't the case. I don't blame them tho. But I would advise logging every moment of weakness. It's a part of the journey. If anyone thinks they're gonna drop a whole bunch of weight without any slip ups then they're in for a rude awakening. It's a zig zag pattern and as you become more disciplined the zig zag appears less often and less drastic.