Counting the calories on fruit?

Options
Hey Everyone
I am just having a super hard time counting calories on the fruit I eat? I feel so hungry if I'm deciding to eat fruit as a snack and its 60 calories for a small apple... I fee like I shouldn't even count it... It's better to eat fresh fruit then 100 cal snack of small chips? I don't know. Help! I need some input?

Replies

• sharondjs
    sharondjs Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    CICO - means calories in calories out all calories count and not counting anything like in WW where they have free foods you often see people on hear surprised they are not losing what they expect to when they don't log so called free foods ...
    And the hard time just weigh it
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    It is better to eat fresh fruit than processed snack for sure. But I agree with the others a calorie is a calorie in terms of weight gain/loss so I would log it. One calorie can be healthier than another though.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    If you choose to excuse yourself the calories, that's your prerogative, but as is often said on MFP, even if you don't count the calories, your body does. At least if you're not getting the results you expect, you know where to make changes.

This....log EVERYTHING. just because youre classing it as healthy doesn't negate the fact it has calories
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    jellox77 wrote: »
    Hey Everyone
    I am just having a super hard time counting calories on the fruit I eat?

It's not hard to tick an item in your food list so I'm confused!

If you feel really hungry maybe you have set a too aggressive weight loss goal?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you eat it, log it. That being said, fruit has never really worked as a snack for me. With the exception of bananas it never fills me up.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Hey Everyone

I think she is having a hard time with fruits adding calories, rationalizing that against the same amount of calories in snack packs. I don't think she means the act f logging itself. OP, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Even though eating fruits makes you feel good about yourself and your efforts to incorporate more nutritious options, unfortunately, all calories count. It's sad that we don't get weight loss brownie points for making more nutritious choices, but it is what it is.

I agree with @sijomial above. Maybe you should revisit your calorie budget? A higher calorie budget will give you more room for fruits and any other foods you choose. Maybe a slower loss is worth it for the sake of sanity?

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Yes, how many lb a week are you trying to lose?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you count calories, log the fruit, because fruit has calories.

Nutrition for weight loss is a balancing act. Maybe snacking on fruit alone isn't working for you? Instead, you can eat proper meals. Or is your calorie goal just too low? A weight loss rate of more than 1% of your body weight per week is aggressive, it will be difficult to adhere to, because you'll be hungry, because you'll be eating too little, a larger calorie deficit than your body fat can support. Feeling hungry before meals, on the other hand, is normal and good.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Count the calories but celebrate your good decision to eat something healthy rather than junk. When you look back at your diary & see all that fruit rather than chips & cookies you will have proof that you made the Lifestyle Change. My "problem" with the fruit entries is the sugar not the calories.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I always think of it as getting credit for the good stuff too. mfp tracks your macros and nutrients too...why end up with a diary that's only full of the crap? that's not a realistic depiction of your day either.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I am also confused what the problem is exactly. is it that:

- you like fruit too much and want to be able to eat more of it? Pick lower-calorie fruit (berries are surprisingly few calories) so you can have more... And log it.
    - You are hungry all the time so need to eat more and think fruit is a "safe" way to fill up? It isn't, it's not calorie-free. As people said above, reconsider how fast you're trying to lose and if that is sustainable for you.
    - You have planned fruit as your snacks but it doesn't fill you up enough so you want to eat more of it? Try combining the fruit with protein, e.g. Yoghurt with beries, apple or pear with cheese, and vary the proportions of fruit to protein within your calories until you hit a sweet spot, staiety-wise... And log it.

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I regard fruit as treat because it is high in calories. Of course you have to log them. Apple or chips, 100 calories is 100 calories.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Just because it's an apple doesn't mean it doesn't count in the calories you consumed. No matter how good/holy/morally superior you seem to think it is, a calorie is still a calorie for weight loss/gain.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you count it? If you don't count 2 apples a day, even if they only total 60 calories each - if you are supposed to be on a 1200 calorie a day goal, you've just NOT COUNTED 10% of them!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Your body counts fruit, so why shouldn't you? Fruit adds up...
    You're better off weighing all your food on a lichen scale instead of guessing. A small Apple to you may be too small or too big to what others consider small Apple so the calories can range. No more guessing. And if you eat dry fruit, the calorie count for those can be as much as candy.
    Trish1c wrote: »
    Count the calories but celebrate your good decision to eat something healthy rather than junk. When you look back at your diary & see all that fruit rather than chips & cookies you will have proof that you made the Lifestyle Change. My "problem" with the fruit entries is the sugar not the calories.
    There's no need to cut treats out... I'm 90lbs down and I eat treats daily. Calories are king.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Hey Everyone

I think she is having a hard time with fruits adding calories, rationalizing that against the same amount of calories in snack packs. I don't think she means the act f logging itself. OP, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Even though eating fruits makes you feel good about yourself and your efforts to incorporate more nutritious options, unfortunately, all calories count. It's sad that we don't get weight loss brownie points for making more nutritious choices, but it is what it is.

I agree with @sijomial above. Maybe you should revisit your calorie budget? A higher calorie budget will give you more room for fruits and any other foods you choose. Maybe a slower loss is worth it for the sake of sanity?

Yeah, I got the impression that she felt the fruit calories weren't worth it since she was still hungry afterwards.

OP, you might want to to eat some protein or fat with your fruit when eating as a snack. People like peanut butter or string cheese with an apple. Stuff like that.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hey Everyone
    I am just having a super hard time counting calories on the fruit I eat? I feel so hungry if I'm deciding to eat fruit as a snack and its 60 calories for a small apple... I fee like I shouldn't even count it... It's better to eat fresh fruit then 100 cal snack of small chips? I don't know. Help! I need some input?

Counting as I see it is an all or nothing thing. To know when I need to change oil in the car I have to count the miles in EVERY trip not just the trips that I want to count.

You are on the right track and welcome to MFP forums. It is almost always better to eat whole foods vs. processed foods.