Food being pushed on you...

Options
annie_858
annie_858 Posts: 80 Member
edited July 2016 in Motivation and Support
Has anyone noticed once you start to lose a few pounds and feel good about eating healthy, people bring you junk food and push food on you!? And I'm
Not talking about health food, it's fudge, brownies, or cookies laying around the office. Or is it just me?

Replies

• jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My mil offers to bring stuff to bbqs, bdays .... Jelly beans, m&m's and cookies
    I try to suggest things instead, veggies, fruit
    Lately I've managed to get her to bring a case bottled water !!
  • southbaysonia
    southbaysonia Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think most folks mean well and just want to ensure you're not left out. I say "Thanks so much for the offer, but me and my diet respectfully decline ... Do you have any carrot sticks"? That makes them laugh and makes me not seem like a downer. At least I hope so!
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Decline, ignore and be ready to say no.

Sometimes they do it on purpose to be rude
  • annie_858
    annie_858 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Decline, ignore and be ready to say no.

Sometimes they do it on purpose to be rude

I totally agree with this.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Just you because you're cute. I'm an ugly old guy and nobody wants to impress me.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I say "no, thank you" ALOT.
  • spells1977
    spells1977 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have this all the time especially in work. Luckily I truthfully don't have a sweet tooth so when they bring in doughnuts and cakes I can say "no thank you, I'm not a huge fan of sweet treats". They seem to accept this better and I get left alone :smile:
  • Gun4a
    Gun4a Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think they only do that to make themselves feel better about eating junk. In the office I work, everyone knows I'm not touching naughty food so they've stopped offering. But it did take a while for the message to sink in..
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The cookies are just laying around the office and then someone brings them to you and tries to push them on you? That is weird! Usually snacks don't last long enough in the break room for it to be an issue, they must be terrible.*

*That's my story and I'm sticking to it. **

**That, or someone who didn't wash their hands rifled through them.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    No. I just say "no thanks", or "yes, please" and fit it in my daily calories. I don't expect people to change just because I am on a diet or something.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    annie_858 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed once you start to lose a few pounds and feel good about eating healthy, people bring you junk food and push food on you!? And I'm
    Not talking about health food, it's fudge, brownies, or cookies laying around the office. Or is it just me?

My Dad. I love him dearly, but omg it's impossible to eat properly around him without a good dose of guilting. I actually used to have a similar problem with my uncle and grandmother x.x
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    There's as much ''junk'' food now around the office and at family gathering as there was before I started my journey and people still offer it to me just as they did before the only difference is that I now kindly decline - actually have been for a long time now so they bother asking me as much anymore. No one dares try to push it on me or ''guilt'' me because I can get pretty rude if I have to say no more than twice.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I drank a Starbucks coffee because my 18yo daughter works there and she really, really wanted to make something for me. I don't usually drink my calories, and I'm not a huge fan of coffee. At least she figured out something that was only 120 calories, so not worse than having a soda.
  • kitkatlp
    kitkatlp Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with

I completely agree with this. At first, the most challenging part on my diet journey was to push back my wife from cooking things she considered to be healthy but didn't fit into my program.
    I quickly prepared my own meals and picked a few things from the meals she prepared for the family.
    Now, she understands better and is clearly supporting my efforts.

I have always found more difficult to fight against the others than against myself.

Lots of people have terrible food habits so it's due to ignorance. But there is also a bit of "if you failed your diet, that would make me feel better about my own diet".

So at the end of the day, I avoid any debate or argument about what is good and what isn't for your diet. Everyone has a different opinion on this topic...unfortunately, it is rarely an informed one.

So, what I do: I have a plan and I ask people to respect that.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

If someone has offered me something I decide if it fits my day and accept or say thanks but I don't want any right now- no judgement or other explanation. No one has made a big deal about me just declining a food politely this way.
    I understand from posts here that most offices are constantly filled with these kinds of foods so I doubt they are bringing them solely to tempt you unless you have been annoying preaching about healthy eating. Maybe bring snacks you prefer to eat.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I work in an office environment where we constantly snack. I'm offered stuff all the time and I politely say no thanks and they respect that decision. Other times I said okay I'll have something and fit it into my calorie goals.

Lot of times I don't think people are being rude or inconsiderate. food is a very social and communal event. Think about it can you really be mad at somebody when you're eating with them.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Decline.....if they keep offering in then take one put it on my desk and bin it when they've gone.....choose you battles....sometimes it's easier to "take one"
  • justkris_gettingfit
    justkris_gettingfit Posts: 239 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My dad / his whole side of the family is like that. Culture-wise, it's considered rude to decline food, and they never want guests (especially family) to leave hungry, so visiting is always a battle (especially since it smells and tastes amazing! >.< )

Co-workers and friends though, I always have something non-perishable on me, like some fruit, or a snack bar, so when they offer, I'd just be like "all set" and that usually ends the asking. Most offer just because it's the polite thing to do. I'd rather think that way than to demonize someone for just sharing food. In the end, it all comes down to you, and your will power.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Just because it's lying around the office doesn't mean you have to eat it.