Noticeable benefits of green tea?

Options
Hey guys, I always read about the amazing benefits of green tea but was wandering if anyone has ever experienced any benefits from the tea and what the most obvious changes were?

Replies

• suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    If you mean weight loss......nope thats woo. It's a drink that's all.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    1. Tastes good
    2. Caffeine
    3. Cheaper than pop
    4. Calorie free

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    1. Tastes good
    2. Caffeine
    3. Cheaper than pop
    4. Calorie free

This^

Drinking berry flavored iced green tea today. Yum! Just make sure the water temp isn't too high, or your green tea will be bitter.
  • kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I always heard that green tea can help boost your metabolism. Is that not true anymore?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    kbmh611 wrote: »
    I always heard that green tea can help boost your metabolism. Is that not true anymore?

Caffeine may give you a teeny tiny boost. But let's face it, if caffeine was the "magic" needed for weight loss there would be no need for sites like MFP.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you're really curious about this, you can look for the studies and read up on it yourself. Most of them haven't shown much. There have been some studies that show a very, very slight increase in metabolism (the oft cited 4% from a 1999 study - or about 50-100 extra calories a day). But that's within the margin of error for most people. It's not a noticeable difference.

If you want to drink green tea, go for it. But the weight loss effects have been overhyped by media articles and a misunderstanding of the science involved. A calorie deficit and moving more are still your best bet.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    It tastes good and makes me happy. Today I had ginger bread flavoured green tea, yesterday I had strawberry and cream flavoured green tea. It's a calorie-free treat. So for me, good for mental health. It has no effect on my physical health, 'cause really it's just leaf water.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It's a beverage, not a magic bullet. Good green tea does have some nice antioxidants, and zero calories. What will boost your metabolism is building muscle with weight training.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    kbmh611 wrote: »

It was never true.
  • c1ownfishie
    c1ownfishie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea almost everyday just because I like it. I honestly haven't experienced any weight-loss benefits other than helping me stay hydrated.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Tastes like grass, I am trying to understand why people like it.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If brewed right, tastes amazing. (If brewed wrong, tastes awful.)
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It tastes good and makes me happy. Today I had ginger bread flavoured green tea, yesterday I had strawberry and cream flavoured green tea. It's a calorie-free treat. So for me, good for mental health. It has no effect on my physical health, 'cause really it's just leaf water.

Oooh, the ginger bread sounds good. I get a honey lemon ginseng green tea that I love to drink when I have a cold. It just makes me feel warm and cared for.

ScreeField wrote: »
    If brewed right, tastes amazing. (If brewed wrong, tastes awful.)

Gotta be careful with the water temperature, boiling water burns green tea. Of course, I'm probably preaching to the choir here.

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Energy from the caffeine.
  • k9babygirl
    k9babygirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the mint green tea loving it helps me with bloating .