Little self control?

Options
Anyone have suggestions on self control when it comes to eating? I have the tendency to break my diet and then I feel terrible after and feel like I can't get back on track. Any ideas?

Replies

• afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Self-control is overrated. I like setting my environment and self up for success instead. I say no at the grocery store so I don't have to at home. I plan ahead on days where I just know it's going to be rough. I eat closer to maintenance for special occasions. I eat closer to maintenance if I start feeling urges to eat everything in sight.

More importantly, what do you mean by breaking your diet? Are we talking about a rigid list of foods or your calorie goals? Healthy eating is a priority for me, but calories trump all, especially if I start to feel deprived.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Protein at every meal or a 1/2 a protein bar for in between meals helps me feel fuller thus I eat less during my meal. I also try to incorporate lettuce somehow for fiber to keep me full.

I don't forbid anything I just try to find a lower calorie version (ice cream) or I eat less like one enchilada on top of a bowl of lettuce:).

hope this helps.

best of luck! don't give up!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Just go to want to lose weight more than you want the food. Sorry.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Just go to want to lose weight more than you want the food. Sorry.

This.....you have to be brutally honest with yourself.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that smaller meals throughout the day & a lot of water help. Make sure you have something healthy / low cal to snack on that is readily available. If possible, get the bad stuff out of your house.

I have been having breakfast, then keeping a granola bar in my desk for mid morning. I eat lunch, then have something else like fruit for a mid afternoon snack. When I feel hungry, I drink a glass of water. It helps. I also keep gum & mints handy because the 5 calories in my lifesaver satisfy my need to "taste" in a much more low cal way then chips or cookies.

When I do slip I try to stick to the portion control. Eating 11 potato chips is still better & for me an improvement over eating 1/2 the bag.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Stop relying on self control, instead control the parts of your environment that you can control. Plan your meals, buy ingredients for the meals you have planned, cook/prepare meals, bring food when that is the better option, only eat food you like, eat it, and enjoy it. Don't try to be perfect, because there is no perfect way of eating, it's just about getting all you need of everything and not too much of anything.
  • iammeinnh
    iammeinnh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I say that I have plenty of will power, but not much won't power. Planning is essential. Plan what your goals are, and plan on how you are going to reach them. Don't be too restrictive with your meals. I know if I am too restrictive I am not satisfied and more likely to binge.

Use your journal. Put everything you eat in there and if you go off your plan write a note (there is a section at the bottom of the 'add food' page.) Write down why you think you went off your plan, what you were doing or feeling. Do you have cravings that send you off plan? If so, find some healthier alternatives.

Choose a day of the week where you can have something off plan. That doesn't mean to eat with abandon on that day. Take time and savor whatever you decide to have that's off plan. When we do go out to eat I will look at the menu and choose the healthiest option then close the menu, and that's what I am ordering. Then, stick to a real serving size, not a restaurant serving.

And, like someone above said. Don't buy the garbage, if it isn't in your house then you can't eat it.