Scared of weights

Hi, I'm 170cm 150lbs but still very high body fat, especially in the midsection (also want to loose about 25lbs to get back to weight pre-binging). All threads i read say weight training is the answer. In the gym the weights area is dominated by men and im super scared to just walk up not knowing what to do! I mean with all the terminology it sounds like a different language and I've always been put off by embarising myself (im a shy kinda girl) Any advice as to apps and stuff that may help?

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Pay a personal trainer and tell him/her you want to be strong, doing stuff like deadlifts and other compound lifts. Don't mention that you want to lose weight in case he/she puts you on some high rep 2kg kettlebell EMOM swissball entertaining monkey routine!
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Stronglifts 5x5 is one of a handful of "routine" apps that are great for beginners. I use it and love it. The app has links to videos on form. You can also search YouTube for videos.

If you find yourself in the gym and aren't sure about something, just ask. My experience is that you will get mad respect for pushing your boundaries, working hard, etc.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Read the sticky post in this forum about getting started.

Also read this thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1169757/i-am-the-woman-in-the-freeweights-section-of-the-gym/p1

Wear large headphones to deter guys from hitting on you.
    Hi, I'm 170cm 150lbs but still very high body fat, especially in the midsection (also want to loose about 25lbs to get back to weight pre-binging). All threads i read say weight training is the answer.

No, the answer to reducing bodyfat is a calorie deficit. :+1:
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Find someone who works at the gym to show you how to do this stuff. Or do a few personal training sessions with someone who will focus on weight training.
  • oliverngus
    oliverngus Posts: 15 Member
    I completely understand! I felt (and still feel) the same way and opted to go with a personal trainer. It's still WAY out of my comfort zone, but it's really helpful to have someone with me not only showing me proper form, but setting up the equipment for my height, etc. so I will know how to work on the machines, etc. (hopefully :smile: ) when I'm on my own. It's hard and sometimes frustrating (and embarrassing if I'm really honest), but I'm always happy when I leave feeling like I accomplished something :). If you go with a trainer, I would also really recommend being very clear with him/her about your goals. I sort-of stepped on for the ride and let him set-up my workouts, but now find myself speaking up more about specific goals that I want to achieve under his guidance. Good luck and keep us posted! :)
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Bret Contreras & Kellie Davis' book Strong Curves A Guide To Building A Better Butt and Body

Contreras is a Ph.D, so he's all about the science. Davis is a competitive bodybuilder and personal trainer.

This book is written for women and covers a full range of exercises using weights, body weight, & cables. He covers stretches and pre lifting routines. It offers a variety of workout routines, from beginner to advanced. Exercises are well illustrated using quality color photographs. Proper form is explained. There's workout logs to track your program.

I highly recommend this book.
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Definitely book a personal trainer session...it will be money well spent I assure you. I did and now I am hooked on the weights...I hate cardio.

If you don't want to do that then please experiment yourself...pick up a light weight to start you off. Good luck
  • oliverngus
    oliverngus Posts: 15 Member
    I wanted to jump back in and post something I came across that really helped me-in fact, when I'm nervous about training, I will pull this up as a reminder to myself ...e3avpmspkzy5.jpeg
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    I was I intimidated bc I didn't have a plan. Running, I had a training plan. Lifting was more manageable when I got a plan--new rules of lifting for women--and bought a few sessions with a trainer to learn how to do the big lifts properly. Now I am way more confident. It also helps that the free weights in my gym are a good mix of men and women, younger buff people and retirees :smile:
  • Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    Listen. I had a class that offered and it was dominated by males. I was one of the few females in the class that tried working out. In the end of the day I would suggest just trying and learning. Life is about Trial and error
  • runningbunny24
    runningbunny24 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks all, a personal trainer is a little pricey for me at the moment but ill definatley have a look at some of the book suggestions and vids :) I've also booked a body pump class (super cheap at my gym) so gonna give that a go!