How to avoid overeating?

Options
Overeating pretty much is my biggest problem. I do it for all meals and just don't know when to stop, whether it's pizza, dessert, or even a salad. I always go back for more. Are there any tricks you guys use in order stop yourself from overeating?

Replies

• RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have days when I am absolutely starved. My nutritionist told me, at my recent appt, that when I am very hungry, and tend to eat too much, my body is actually crying for exercise, so I should do some exercises or go for a walk.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    meg7117 wrote: »
    Overeating pretty much is my biggest problem. I do it for all meals and just don't know when to stop, whether it's pizza, dessert, or even a salad. I always go back for more. Are there any tricks you guys use in order stop yourself from overeating?

Would it help to tackle one meal at a time? Which meal do you think it would be easiest for you to control? For many people, it might be lunch. Start by taking control of your eating at lunch for a week. Experiment to see what satisfies you. It sounds like you might be satisfied by a high volume of food, so think about choosing foods with a lower caloric density (like vegetables). Barbara Rolls has authored books about volumetrics which you might find helpful to explore. I am sure you can find plenty of information online about this strategy as well.

Once you have experienced success controlling your eating at one meal, keep using the strategies that were successful and apply them to an additional meal the following week. Add the final meal the third week, and you are set up to keep your eating under control.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    If you don't prepare it or buy it, you won't eat it. Cook less food - or cook lots of food at once and then portion it out and refrigerate or freeze it for the rest of the week.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It's really hard sometimes, and don't beat yourself up if it happens.
    I now eat much slower, take time to have some drink with my meal and really assess if I'm actually hungry or just want to munch.
    Pre logging works as does not getting up for seconds.
    Mostly though it's willpower, and only you can do this. Take one meal at a time and take time to recognise fullness. I hate that overfull feeling now.
    Good luck op x
  • blumenstockbj
    blumenstockbj Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with this also. So I eat before I go grocery shopping which helps me to stay on track and buy healthy items of fresh fruit and fresh vegetables. I live by myself with only two dogs so if I don't buy it and bring it into the house then I cannot eat it. I will also drink 8 ounce glass of water or more right before eating this also helps you to feel fuller and eat less. I hope this helps you and good luck.
  • christareid28
    christareid28 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of water helps
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I had terrible problems with portion control, so weighing and logging EVERYTHING is my biggest tip.

For a while when I was first starting and really trying to concentrate on portion sizes, I tried to avoid eating at restaurants, and when I did, I limited myself to chains that post nutrition information so I could look up their meals before I went (an exercise that, in itself, was quite illuminating.)

Now when I'm at home, I STILL weigh and measure everything. I have a few bowls and small plates that I prefer because I now know how much they can hold, and the portions still look big on them.

And there is no "going back for more." EVER.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I like to bulk up my meals with veggies, partly to get more fiber, partly so I can eat more food. Scrambled eggs- add in a couple handfuls of baby spinach, pasta- add in chopped up cauliflower or broccoli slaw(steam slightly to get it a little softer) salad- a couple different kinds of lettuce to keep the flavor interesting, celery and carrots for crunch.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Water and protein at every meal or 1/2 protein bar in between meals help me stay full. I also like to pile on the lettuce where I can for example I eat one enchilada but on top of a bowl of lettuce. Fiber helps keep me full as well.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Try to eat a greens salad before or with every meal with a large glass of water. This helps me when I have my "I want to eat ALL THE THINGS" day.

Make sure your meals have lots of protein fat and fiber.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't buy "junk" food anymore and instead make sure my fridge is stuffed with fresh fruit and veg to snack on. It's a lot harder to over eat veg. And I use my freezer, by portioning and keeping excess in the freezer it means I can't instantly eat more, I have to wait for food to defrost. If I can't be bothered to do that then I wasn't hungry.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cook the amount you're going to eat.
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am overeating after having lost 50 lbs and need this support here. I really appreciate the tips, and will work on them. My favorite one so far is more exercise because I think I eat for entertainment too. Good question! Thanks
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,903 Member
    Options

I weigh out my food, make that much, and eat that amount.

Then I clean up my dishes and things and put everything away.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Pre log your day. Eat what you've logged.

This is one of the top two things that come to mind.

The other one is - don't restrict too agressively! This goes for calories as well as for types of food. When my deficit is moderate enough so that I can have a reasonable variety and quantity of food, I overeat much more rarely.
  • donidaily
    donidaily Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Another vote for pre-logging. Also, prepare as many of your own meals as possible, that way you know what goes in and you can control the portion size. If I make pasta for example, I immediately portion it out, one serve on my plate and the rest into containers for lunches, that way there's no going back for seconds.
  • 1nprgr3s
    1nprgr3s Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, even if I'm not hungry I always go back for more. I just don't know how to stop and I'm not sure that pre-logging would help. I think the tips about only cooking what you're going to eat would help though.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    For me, I find portioning and putting away any leftovers before I eat is key. (In the fridge for future meals or better yet in the freezer)
    Prelogging is also useful especially when I know I will be eating a big meal - I can plan out what amount I can fit in.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Tips I have picked up:

- Use a smaller plate.
    - Use a plate whose colour contrasts with the food.
    - Focus on the food and company, no TV, phones or other distractions.
    - Don't serve food family style where you can reach for seconds without getting up. Dish up and leave the extras on the kitchen worktop so you have to get up and get more, you can't do it without thinking.
    - Leave leftovers where you can see them so you have a visual cue to how much you've already eaten.
    - Log in advance. If you're going for seconds, log it there and then, before you eat it, so you can see how it affects the numbers. Don't leave it till after the meal. (obviously don't do this in settings where it would be unsociable, but for everyday dinners it works very well).
    - Log EVERYTHING. Let no second helping be invisible.
    - Change the balance of what you're eating so there's more protein, more fruit and veg, more wholegrain, and less moreish, white-carb, sugary-salty things. Don't cut anything out - just adjust the balance.