Endurance Running While Losing Weight?

Options
I recently started training for a half marathon, but I still have about 25 lbs to lose. Is it safe to lose weight while training for an endurance race? Will I be losing muscle mass? I am trying to stick around 1300 NET calories. Is this too little? The last thing I want is to feel weak during all my runs.... but I definitely don't want to be maintaing/gaining during my training either. Any advice?

Thank you!

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i think its trial and error with running. You can definitely build up fitness and endurance while losing weight, but you probably wont be getting your best times etc, and i would try and put your deficit to maybe half a pound a week at first and then if you feel good on it, try 1lb a week.
    i think 1300 net is fine, but its all about how you feel on it.
    I definitely run better when my deficit isnt too high
  • mamajess82
    mamajess82 Posts: 51
    Options
    What's more important - the half marathon or the weight loss? You can do the half marathon and lose weight but running the race needs to be your main focus

I think if you make sure that you are eating back your exercise calories on MFP you should be fine. The body needs very little to run on.

I'm not sure how tall you are but if you were to up your cal intake to 1500 you would still lose weight, albeit slower.

Better to be kinder on yourself and succeed than hard on yourself and fail.

Good luck with the Half Marathon - I'm hoping to do one next year.
  • Jenalyn
    Jenalyn Posts: 17
    Options
    Yes you are likely to lose muscle mass from endurance exercise. I am actually doing that on purpose now, because after much research I had learnt the best way to lose muscle off my thighs was to do long runs. Also, I am sticking to 1200 calories a day and have found that it is getting harder and harder to run because I just don't think I'm fueling my body enough. I agree with comment above about focusing on the half marathon and giving your body enough fuel in order to achieve it!
    I think you will find you will probably just lose the weight quite naturally by training for a marathon anyway.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    also dont be too shocked if you lose inches but stay the same weight while doing distance running
  • Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My experience is that yes you can train and race hard and loose.
    It is important to fuel correctly before, during and after training.
    Aim at a small loss, (half kilo per week or less) and be prepared to eat a bit more than target if you need, especially on big training days.
    A week before race I would not have a deficit and definetelly eat pleanty on the day before a race and a couple of day after.

Run specific weight training and general weight training whould ensure you retain lean body mass and help performance too.

I use early season run programme and half marathons to get in shape (loose weight too) for the summer season main races every year, so it is not a great loss of weight (max 5 kilos depending some year more, some less) but the aim is to loose body fat for main races. So I for all I know it is possible and it can work well, just try to tune in with your body requirements to acheive both goals.

Good luck!
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You have to be really careful. When I went up to marathon I put on weight cos I over compensated for the miles.

I am now losing and have lost a stone whilst doing marathons and ultras but it is a fine balance between getting the fuel for training and not overdoing it.

Keep a record of what goes in and out. If you are feeling fine on that and running and losing a bit then stick with it. If you are feeling too week add a few hundred cals a day. If you are feeling ok bit not losing then drop a few hundred cal a day
  • cappelgate
    cappelgate Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice guys! Going to TRY to balance it out... because idealy I want to do both. :)