Shins and Running

Options
So in this journey to health, I've been dabbling with running. I did zombies run for three weeks and then I stopped for two weeks and recently have started c25k. I never would have thought I would like running but I genuinely enjoy it! Unfortunately, my body isn't quite there yet. My stamina is noticeably better from when I started, but my shins don't like it at all. I'm prone to shin splints so I'm taking it easy.

I know my plan of action - run, rest until it doesn't hurt, repeat.

But does anyone have any info for me on how long before my shins get their *kitten* together? It's so frustrating to have the desire but not the ability to run just because of my dumb shins.

I need a light at the end of the tunnel!

Replies

• Hoohoohaa
    Hoohoohaa Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issue in the past. I started using calf length compression socks for work and running, and have not had an issue this year. I would just quit running before, so I don't have an answer to how long it will take.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints only when I need new running shoes. How old are your shoes? Are you sure you're wearing the right type of shoes for your feet?
  • brighteststitcher
    brighteststitcher Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My shoes are practically brand new and are super comfortable - asics. And I've got no idea if they're the right kind but I was wearing shocks before and the problem was much more pronounced.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    There's a really great video on Runner's World about the different types of shin splints. If yours only hurt when you run then it's likely muscular. A foam roller to roll out the muscles could do wonders.
    http://drjordanmetzl.com/portfolio-item/shin-splints-rw-video/
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    My shoes are practically brand new and are super comfortable - asics. And I've got no idea if they're the right kind but I was wearing shocks before and the problem was much more pronounced.

You should check to see what type of shoes you need for your feet. The best way to do this is visit a local running specialty store. They will watch you run and advise you the type of shoe best for your feet.

Since running shoes are made to correct imperfect gait, you could actually be doing more damage by wearing the wrong type of shoe. For example, if you naturally supinate (land on the outside of your heel) and you have shoes that are made for over pronators (those that land on the inside), your shoes will push your foot even more to the outside making things much worse.
  • daweasel
    daweasel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it can often be caused by your shoes or the surface you run on. I have not personally had this issue but a lot of people I run with have.

The advice they were given was to check their shoes were right for them, consider rotating between two pairs of shoes so they have a chance to dry out and decompress (also helps improve the lifespan of the shoes) and try to avoid running on the footpath or road while building up the distance - try running on grass or a track.

As I said, never had this issue myself, but I've definitely had various other issues that have been exacerbated or caused by my shoes being too worn out. Since I started tracking how far I was running in which shoes and rotating between two (or even three in poor weather) pairs I've been a lot better off in terms of niggling injuries. Would definitely suggest checking your shoes are right for you.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Things to try:

1. Foam rolling before AND after running.
    2. Shorten your stride
    3. Cadence, even if you are still doing walk/run, cadence is important to develop a good gait
    4. Glute activation and strengthening. It takes a couple of months for glutes to start firing after you begin a glute program. If your glutes don't fire, your other weaker muscles have to pick up the slack.
    5. Hip rotation and mobility exercises
    6. Calf strengthening

Glutes and hip conditioning are critical to running, and especially running injury free
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    When I started C25K I had problems with shin splints for the first few weeks but not to the extent that it stopped me being able to do the scheduled sessions. After my body adjusted to the fact that I was indeed planning to keep on running it then eased off.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    This video helped me...no more shin splints
    https://youtu.be/Z2G5WCJBpps