Donating Blood?

Options
I'm going to be donating blood soon for the first time since starting calorie counting. I'm just curious what other people do when they donate--should I substantially increase my calories for the day, not count at all, or something else? Don't wanna be stressing at the cookie station, y'know? My daily goal is 1,350, for reference. Thanks!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I increase to maintenance when I donate. The body doesn't need extra calories immediately to remake the blood, but I personally get slightly dizzy if I haven't eaten enough on days I donate.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Eat a meal before you go and a snack afterwards. It doesn't have to be cookies- bring some mixed nuts or something and a piece of fruit for some easily used sugar that isn't a cookie. Also be sure to stay well hydrated. You might want to go up slightly for the day though. How you feel will also greatly depend on the individual and to some extent your weight. A man that weighs 180 might not even notice a unit gone, but at my height and weight I am unable to donate because a unit is >20% of my blood volume which would qualify as stage II hypovolemic shock. I'm probably going to feel a lot crappier at that end of that. Some people may also feel very faint at the sight of blood or needles, etc. if you feel you need an extra snack go for it- but remember you can always bring your own so you don't end up nomming the free chips and cookies if they don't fit your goals.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    eat raw liver to replenish your iron levels. Yummy.

And Chianti pairs nicely, don't forget ;)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to change your calories for the day, just time it so that you have eaten before and be well hydrated.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I make sure I eat a good meal prior to donating (I often donate during my university's blood drives, and many people end up passing out during the donation because they skipped breakfast or only ate a granola bar) and pack a few snacks/a meal for after I donate (though the place I donated at had snacks other than cookies, such as popcorn, granola bars, and pretzels). The only thing to be careful about is not overexerting yourself the rest of the day after you donate (super strenuous exercise, heavy lifting) and making sure to stay hydrated.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    The blood-mobile comes to our office about every 8 weeks, & I always donate. I don't do anything different except consume the fruit juice & cookies that they give you as you leave. Never had a problem.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I eat a little extra the day before and the day of.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Also they usually say not to work out for 24 hours.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I *just pitched the paper they give after you donate and never read it. But they do recommend to eat a healthy meal prior to donating and plenty of water. Verbally they told us to drink at least 2 pints of water more during the rest of that day, no booze and no crazy exercise.

I did Google and find that it takes approx 650 calories to create a pint of blood. Sadly it's spread over about 4-6 weeks lol! But, I'd not stress a 4oz juice and a cookie even if it takes you over for the day. You may not need it! Our bus had tiny water bottles and pretzels in addition to juices and cookies.
  • ellie_RN
    ellie_RN Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've donated blood many times and I can't remember if I was actively trying to lose weight at the time. Regardless drink A LOT of water prior and make sure you feel well nourished. Afterwards make sure to take a juice and or water and a few snacks after donating to combat the dizziness. Thank you for donating!
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I eat at my normal deficit for meals but I always do have a couple of cookies (OK, maybe 4).
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    By golly after donating I'm going to eat those miki Oreos and not worry about it! There!