Lost nearly a stone and i'm fatter than ever.

Options
Im 19 and at the beginning of my diet I weighed 8stone 10 pounds and I now weigh 7 stone 11 pounds. I eat a plant based diet and am vegan. I usually have fruit/chia pudding/porridge for breakfast (round about 100 calories). I don't usually have lunch but if I do, i'll have courgettie and mixed veg salad (around 120 calories). For supper I will usually have vegetable stirfry/ quinoa / mixed bean chilli (usually around 250 calories). I will then have a pudding if I didnt have lunch, usually a nakd bar/ fruit / yogurt (around 150 calories).

I have been eating like this for over 2 months now and I have never gone over 1,000 calories a day. I do cardio 4 times a week for 30mims each time. Although the scales are telling me the weight is coming off, I look A LOT bigger than I have ever looked, especially around my stomach from the side. I am desperate to reach my goal of 7 stone 5 poumds, but I'm worried that even if I do reach it, I will still look fat. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    You sound like you need to get help for your body image issues. Your weight in pounds is 107, & if that's you in the picture then you don't look like you need to lose any weight.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Google Kwashiorkor. Then get some help.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    How much sodium do you eat?
    Are you close to that time of the month?
    Have you recently increased the intensity of your exercise?
    Do you use a food scale?
    Is that you in the profile pic?

How tall are you? You currently weigh 109lbs...
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Malnutrition can result in bloated stomach

How tall are you

This.... With so little calories, there is no way you'd be getting the proper nutrition your body needs to be healthy.
  • Annabelle_Elle
    Annabelle_Elle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Based on what you've said, there's a very good chance you have body dysmorphia. Your eating habits indicate an eating disorder (I can't diagnose you or anything, this is just a guess) so I would recommend seeing a professional. If that isn't an option for you, one thing that I has found to be very helpful is taking measurements of the areas you feel are getting bigger (for me that's stomach, hips, and thighs) every other week or so. That way you can see for sure that you haven't gotten bigger, regardless of what you see in the mirror. If you can, try to eat more and get more protein into your diet (I have found Quest Protein Bars to be amazing) to stay healthy. Honestly though, get help if you can.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I would at least eat 1200 calories and try weight lifting instead of cardio. do you have any before and after pics?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Talk to a therapist.
  • ellamroberts873
    ellamroberts873 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your answers, i'm 5ft 4 and my picture isnt me, just for inspiration! The muscle deteriorating could be the answer although i do 50 crunches a day to try and maintain my core as i'm taking my grade 8 ballet exam in February. But I really should be doing more strength resistance.
  • ellamroberts873
    ellamroberts873 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I probably should have mentioned that I go to fashion college and am friends with a lot of models in which I am constantly compared to. I know my goal weight is underweight but it's still not as 'underweight' as my model friends.
  • ashleighs148
    ashleighs148 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to be unhealthy? I think you should put an appointment on with your doctor. I too am starting a vegan plant based diet, but to get enough protein and stuff from plants alone you need to be eating a lot. Otherwise you'll just end up malnourished, ill and likely in hospital.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Please go speak to a doctor about this.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Underweight is underweight.

How do you expect to sustain your body through an activity as stressful as ballet on fresh air? Being a good dancer and cultivating a "fashionable" waif look are not compatible aims. You are already showing signs of malnutrition, which you need to address, urgently, and if you injure yourself your body will not have the resources to repair that injury.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    High carb, low fat Vegan here too... You are not eating anywhere near enough calories! Your body has basically gone into 'starvation mode' and is hanging on to fuel (as fat stores) because 'it doesn't know when it's next meal is coming'; it's the same principal as the pictures of the malnourished kids in Africa with the bloated stomachs...

Up your calories. Eat little and often and don't compare yourself to others around you; you are causing metabolic damage to your system which will inevitably cause weight gain until your metabolism sorts itself out...

Don't send yourself down the road of eating disorders!
This discussion has been closed.