Do you lie to your food diary?

Options

Replies

• 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    That's just wrong imo, I guarantee plenty of people log their "binges". I'd say most, in fact. Most mfpers log pretty much what they eat day in day out, that's the whole point.
  • almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Not if I can help it. If I can't find a food that I didn't make, I'll take a 'best guess' out of similar foods MFP has counts for, but that's about it. And I do talk back to it when it scolds me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You're only cheating yourself. I just have my diary closed but I log everything.

Your diary is a tool, what are you going to learn from your eating behavior if you don't log everything?
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    No. My best guesstimating on items I don't prepare myself creates enough room for diary entry error (e.g. how many grams of frozen custard are on that so-called small cone? Did the server really pour 6 oz of wine? How big is that filet and how did the chef prepare it?). I don't deliberately add to it.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Guilty of it, embarrassed, it all shows up on the scale. It's one of the things I'm "working on " .
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    No and my diary is public. I need the numbers, I don't care how it looks.
  • _thefrenchpress_
    _thefrenchpress_ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Nope, I log everything I eat.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I work midnights at a grocery store and while making the rounds I sometimes grab a cookie and forget to log it wink wink
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There was a binge recently that I did not post in real time with accurate measurements. I guessed at it several days later and got over myself.
  • slava977
    slava977 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    As I mentioned earlier today in another chat - I don't lie in my food diary.. I just don't input on days when I have no idea how many calories I'm consuming by eating in restaurants or home made meals while visiting friends and family. I can't exactly walk up to the chef and ask "how much butter and oil did you put into this"..lol.. On those days I just try to eat healthier and smaller portions.
  • WynterDreaming
    WynterDreaming Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Even if part of me wants to lie about it, I won't. Not only because it serves no purpose, but because if my calories go into the red, it makes me rethink my choices. I feel guilty when I see my calories go beyond my goal but you know what, it tells me I need to make a change and control myself. I may feel bad now, but I will feel worse if I get on the scale and those numbers climb higher.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    There was a binge recently that I did not post in real time with accurate measurements. I guessed at it several days later and got over myself.

I do that sometimes, and it's never as bad as i thought. 9 times out of 10 i don't even go over my calories.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I told myself when I started MFP I wouldn't lie. I don't play games with my dairy and I don't play games with my scale. I think that what you're talking about has to do with shame and I am often ashamed when I overeat. But I log EVERY Single Bite. Every day. I know that if I skip, I'm setting myself up for the big fail....sliding back into weight gain which I have done so many times before. Lying would also be a type of hiding from yourself and your actions. Again, this seems like shame. If you grew up like I did, you probably experience a lot of shame around food and eating.
  • typeitdaily
    typeitdaily Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    No because it won't change that I ate it. Instead I use it as a wake up call.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    No, but I have given myself a little bit of a "cheat." I find that trying to figure out the calories for a holiday dinner (ie, food made by other people, so I have no idea how it was made unless I go around begging extended family to give me their recipes and to weigh and measure every single ingredient) was so stressful that it was making me not enjoy holidays. Since that's not happening more than 6 times a year, I decided it just doesn't count. I could eat double my calories every holiday, and it's still not going to derail my weight loss long term. So I just quick add all of my calories for the day, and leave it at that.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    When I first started, no. I might have been a poor logger but I never lied.

Now I do all the time. I suck.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Lol you're posts are so honest and refreshing :lol::heart:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

lol :p I'm struggling at the moment.
  • BarbellzNBrotein
    BarbellzNBrotein Posts: 306 Member
    Options

Well it's out there now so you're good right?! lol
  • Christine_72
    Options

lol :p I'm struggling at the moment.

Me too :persevere: We know what we have to do, just need to find the motivation and will power. Anyways, looking at your profile pic you look super awesome to me!!