Any one over 50 and trying to lose weight ?

I have been working so hard to lose 30 lbs , my calorie intake around 1200-1300 a day , my workout everyday 30 minutes ! I have been on and off doing this since jan 1 most I lost 5 lbs , but as of today I am down 2 lbs since my new start from last Sunday a week ago ! Need fellow buddies my age for motovation !

Replies

• allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Check out the cool kids thread
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2016
    Hey there, I fit the bill. I've lost 37 pounds since February, still a few to go. Never too late, keep at it!
  • HollyClark2
    HollyClark2 Posts: 3 Member
    I have been working so hard to lose 30 lbs , my calorie intake around 1200-1300 a day , my workout everyday 30 minutes ! I have been on and off doing this since jan 1 most I lost 5 lbs , but as of today I am down 2 lbs since my new start from last Sunday a week ago ! Need fellow buddies my age for motovation !

You can do it! Keep going, you will have an awesome result!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited July 2016
    I'll try to be gentle, but BS. You spent many days since January believing you were eating around 1200-1300 calories per day, but in reality you were only in the very slightest of calorie deficits. Tighten up the accuracy and truthfulness of your logging and actually tell Diary the truth. The weight truly will come off if you truly are in a 500 calorie daily deficit. There's nothing magical about it. I'm way over 50 and have lost 59 lb since January 25.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    I'll try to be gentle, but BS. You spent many days since January believing you were eating around 1200-1300 calories per day, but in reality you were only in the very slightest of calorie deficits. Tighten up the accuracy and truthfulness of your logging and actually tell Diary the truth. The weight truly will come off if you truly are in a 500 calorie daily deficit. There's nothing magical about it. I'm way over 50 and have lost 59 lb since January 25.
    I have to agree; I'm over 50...was strict & honest with weighing & measuring food & tracking, am now back to "fighting" weight. No "around" about it. No magic...do it right & it works.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Your age has nothing to do with losing weight. Unless you have medical issues or starting menopause age has nothing to do with it. It's a simple matter of eating less calories than your body consumes.

You stated you've been at this since January but you've been inconsistent. one bad day can ruin the work of three or four good days. You have to be honest as far as properly logging your food and accurately weighing it's that simple.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member

My wife and I are 59 and we've lost 52 and 55 pounds respectively. Plus she's on meds that some say make you gain weight(BS).

We did nothing magical just ate as the application said, she was 1200 calories daily. The "magic" comes from following the directions by accurately measuring and logging the food.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Age 61 and lost 144 over 2 years..Hubby has lost about 45.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Your age has nothing to do with losing weight. Unless you have medical issues or starting menopause age has nothing to do with it. It's a simple matter of eating less calories than your body consumes.

You stated you've been at this since January but you've been inconsistent. one bad day can ruin the work of three or four good days. You have to be honest as far as properly logging your food and accurately weighing it's that simple.

Even menopause does not affect the ability to lose weight. The propensity for menopausal women to start gaining visceral fat (lowering of estrogen and a slight increase in testosterone), can affect hormones. A visit to the doctor can make sure one is correctly medicated if needed. Otherwise weight loss during menopause is the same as at any other life stage.

Everyone from maturity on loses about 50-100cals from their BMR (depending on height, weight, and gender) per decade. As we age keeping active and lifting some heavy stuff helps counteract this effect.

Cheers, h.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Age 59 (60 next month!) and lost 85lbs since October 2015. No magic, only honestly working the CICO program. If you lie to your diary, you only hurt yourself.
  • JeanLaw131
    JeanLaw131 Posts: 78 Member
    Age 54 and have lost 14 so far. Still have 30 more to go! Seems I have been stuck at 171 for over a week now, so have added step aerobics and light weight lifting 3 times a week to my usual daily 35 minute mod paced walk.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member

How tall are you? You need to be pretty short for 1200 calories to be sufficient. I suspect an overly aggressive calorie deficit is causing you to repeatedly fall off the wagon.

Since you only want to lose 30 pounds, change your weekly weight loss goal to 1 pound per week and enjoy those extra calories.
  • Antmaril
    Antmaril Posts: 43 Member
    I am 65 and have lost 22 pounds since the end of January. It is slow, but steady. I am retired and get very little exercise. I would like to lose a total of 40 by Christmas. I plan to stay on this course.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    I am 57 and have dropped 65 pounds since Feb 29th. I did not wish for slow..I went low calorie and still not eating enough (according to my health coach at work) My plan is working and it's hard to change what has been working.

I suggest..checking out your TDEE and find out what that is. Find out about YOU..before you can select an effective calorie plan, and know how many calories to put yourself on a day.
  • GettingThere62
    GettingThere62 Posts: 83 Member
    54yo and lost close to 40lbs in the last year, while menopausing :)

Calories are still calories....
  • jjdig
    jjdig Posts: 45 Member
    research the Venus Factor. If you're healthy, it's a great option - I had been struggling for years with the last 10 pounds, doing lots of cardio, religiously working out, and not making any progress - and this has helped immensely (6# in 4 weeks). Also the book "Eat Stop Eat" is REALLY interesting reading. A lot of what we believe doesn't hold up to scientific research.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited July 2016
    Hello! Just weighing in on this thread (Pun intended!) I'm almost 59 and I have lost 24 pounds since February. That's roughly 6 months, or 24 weeks, so about a pound a week. It took me 30 years to gain the 113 extra pounds I started with, so if it takes me another 89 weeks to lose the rest of it, that's fine with me. Plus I may never get back down to 185, but I'll get close! Another added bonus is that the slow loss enables my skin to shrink and adjust slowly so I don't end up with any flab.

Add me if you like...