Nutrition help!!!

Options
Hi all,

I'm quite new (first weigh-in tomorrow) and notice that I am going over on my nutrition allowances nearly every day. Its not by much, usually around 4g for protein and fibre etc.

The thing is I am always under my daily calorie intake by about 100 calories.

Do you think it is bad to go over on my nutrition allowances?

Thanks for your help!

x

Replies

• MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options
    I am usually always over in protein and fiber.
  • MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options
    oh and welcome :) lol
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Things it's okay to go over: fiber, protein, vitamins, calcium, iron (as long as its not excessive, ie hundreds of grams over)

Things it's not okay to go over: sugar (mostly refined: it's better to go over on sugar from a banana than from a banana split), sodium, cholesterol.

If you're over on protein and under on calories, you should be fine. Especially if it's only by a few.
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    not to worry about going over on fiber or protein unless you have other health issues that could make this a problem (specifically kidney issues). i often have trouble balancing out mine also-today is a mess because we are eating out. often i still need to get in some more calories but over on other things. it's mainly about making the right choices with our calories. it's something that you become more used to after you have been logging a little while. i think the visual of the numbers in red is good to keep you on your toes regarding future food choices. welcome and best of luck in your journey!! :flowerforyou:
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Protein is good to go over. For burning fat you want to do cardio but also do some sort of strength training and the protein is going to help heal your muscles. Fiber is good too. I think the MFP 'goal' is a bit low and you want good fiber to keep your body 'regular'. As for calories as a woman you always want to eat at least 1200 and a bit more if you are exercising excessively.

And welcome to MFP!! Great place!! :P
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Oh I wish I could go over on protein. My diet is mostly plant based and while I also eat fish and eggs, I still find it difficult to hit my protein goal most days. I would think that going over on fiber and even going a little over on protein is perfectly fine though. I think the things to watch are sodium and sugar. I would try to keep those low. And the "bad" fats.
  • sarahcreelman
    Options
    Protein and fibre are good things to go over with, those nutrients are what keep you full and give you energy. As long as it's not huge amounts, say, 20 g over the limit because you may start experiencing problems with constipation or the opposite.

If you're under you daily calorie allowance, a good way to get in an extra 100 cals or so is to eat a piece of fruit. Most medium size or a cup of fruit contain about that much. If you're feeling full throughout the day and have good energy levels, being under the limit doesn't really matter. If you're doing a lot of exercise, it wouldn't hurt to toss in a couple more snacks to fuel your body.
  • xchocchipsx
    Options
    Thanks for all your help everyone! Maybe I am being a bit too strict on myself!

Good luck all! :tongue:

x
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, some goals should be seen as minimums (fiber and protein), some as maximums (fat, sodium, sugar). I always go over on protein and try to go over on fiber.