Carbs...too many

Options
I need help lowering my carbs and sugar and upping my protein. I find myself craving carbs all the time, which results in excess abdominal fat. Help!

Replies

• Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    how low of carbs are you trying to accomplish?
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    Try a protein powder. That helps me. :-)
  • spinaddict4life
    spinaddict4life Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I find that lowering my carbs, reduces my sugar cravings, and it depends on how mnay you are eating and how low you want to go. Try to eat more complex carbs,more veggies and make the bulk of your carbs at breakfast and lunch. At dinner if I have carbs other than veggies I eat beans, or a whole grain. Protein powder and greek yogurt help a lot.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    This past week I started eating a lot more protein and really watched my carbs, I didn't do no carb just low carb but let me tell you, my cravings for my day and late night sweets have completely vanished... and I have been finding myself not hungry at all :) At first I had to remind myself to eat because I was forgetting. I basically ate two egg whites and a whole egg friend or scrambled for breakfast (protein) and 4-5 ounces of a lean protein and even some whole wheat bread, Protein bar for snack, salad for lunch with hardly any dressing (but with good toppings so it tasted good) and for dinner again protein and veggies or turkey burger wrapped in lettuce, or another salad, and berries or a peach... Okay haha that is practically what I ate all week,

EXCEPT on Friday (I always have slip ups) I had a lot of extra calories from running around my bf and I stopped for a small cheeseburger and fries at a local diner LOW AND BEOLD all night afterwards I had to literally force myself to stay the heck out of the kitchen. My cravings for sweets and other carbs came back immediately. Fortunately, I woke up the next day and continued (which would be a first)

My point I believe if you start eating more protein then carbs at every meal your sugar cravings might diminish like mine and to say that means it must help because I am addicted to SUGAR!!!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I have the following comments:

2 bowls of cereal for breakfast, or a bagel plus cereal? Swap one of those for eggs and bacon, no rolls.

Go for soups or salads for lunch.
  • ninaws
    ninaws Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, there are a lot of things you can cut. The cereal and milk in the morning, the bagels, the cake, the hot chocolate, the cookie dough...

I know your pain. Before I started to watch what I ate, I pretty much ate all carbs. Sugar, diary, bread, etc. For breakfast, instead of cereal and milk, have eggs and fruit (I scramble one regular egg with two egg whites in a pat of Smart Balance 50/50 butter or margarine with a half serving of berries on the side). Try to have a significant protein at every meal. If you have to have a sandwich, use one slice and make it an open face sandwich (also, use bread that is whole grain rather than white). Any sugar you take it, try to get it from fruits (with berries tending to be the lowest in sugar; stay away from grapes/raisins). Try to get most of your carbs from fruits and veggies.

I'm still trying to figure it all out myself. I've mostly been able to get my carbs down to around 60g a day (which isn't low-low carb but is significantly lower than where I used to be) but I still struggle with getting my protein and calorie consumption in general up high enough. I will say, though, that once you get into a lower carb habit, you crave them less. I thought I would die when I first started being attentive to my carb intake but now I'm pretty content without them. Also, I don't feel nearly as run down, sluggish and tired as I did when I ate a high amount of carbs.

I still miss cake though and will treat myself to a slice every now and then.
  • everet36
    everet36 Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! I'll try eating more eggs, fruit, and veggies!