Including exercise in diary and then eating up the extra calories?

Options
So I exercise 4-5 times per week....with a
Mix or heavy weights and cardio. Am looking to reduce body fat and lose inches. My weight is in a healthy range.

I have been including exercise in my diary, working it out at about 350 calories burnt.....this is obviously a very rough guess.

Is it important to eat up those extra calories that the mfp diary then allows you??? Obviously I know that if I am eating up those extra calories they have to be nutritional....I am not talking about have a couple of Mars Bars

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you think you have a fairly good estimate of you exercise cals then eat them back.

The odd Mars bar won't hurt either
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    When I started adding my exercise here, and saw that the site adds calories to my foods, I quit recording my exercise and erased my past exercise. I don't like that. I wish I could record my exercise without the site connecting it to my calorie intake.
  • mdrolle
    mdrolle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes, if maintaining fat %, no if reducing. Get a heart rate monitor to truly track this, or at least get a better estimate.
  • JonnyJonny5555
    JonnyJonny5555 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I started adding my exercise here, and saw that the site adds calories to my foods, I quit recording my exercise and erased my past exercise. I don't like that. I wish I could record my exercise without the site connecting it to my calorie intake.

I feel the same, and I think the site overstates the number of calories burned in some cases. I don't want to eat to a limit and then exercise so that I think I can eat more than I should.

I want to stick to my limit, and if I get the benefit of exercise as well that is a bonus.

• Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options

I feel the same, and I think the site overstates the number of calories burned in some cases. I don't want to eat to a limit and then exercise so that I think I can eat more than I should.

I want to stick to my limit, and if I get the benefit of exercise as well that is a bonus.

That is a great way to think about it, thanks
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

The only issue with that is creating too large a deficit which can be unhealthy.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options

it4rdykvb8zz.png

It's that simple
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Also as long as you hit your macros you can eat Mars bars if you want. It doesn't matter.
  • RainaProske
    Options
    Thank you @marm1962 ! :D
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »

it4rdykvb8zz.png

It's that simple

Or you change the calories to 1... or however many you want to eat.

• RainaProske
    Options
    Thank you, @mrp56839 !
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    spitapot81 wrote: »
    Mix or heavy weights and cardio. Am looking to reduce body fat and lose inches. My weight is in a healthy range.

I have been including exercise in my diary, working it out at about 350 calories burnt.....this is obviously a very rough guess.

Is it important to eat up those extra calories that the mfp diary then allows you??? Obviously I know that if I am eating up those extra calories they have to be nutritional....I am not talking about have a couple of Mars Bars

Yes you should be accounting for your exercise expenditure whether losing, maintaining or gaining - your calorie goal was set up assuming that you would.
    And no they don't all have to be "nutritional", if you are meeting your overall nutritional goals you can have a treat eaten just for enjoyment. Adherence is incredibly important and if having a treat helps that it's a positive thing.

The importance of accuracy of exercise calorie estimates is vastly over-stated on here, there seems to be a weird culture of regarding exercise calories as different to other energy needs of your body. A reasonable and consistent estimate is fine.

Worth a read....
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    spitapot81 wrote: »

Yes you should be accounting for your exercise expenditure whether losing, maintaining or gaining - your calorie goal was set up assuming that you would.
    And no they don't all have to be "nutritional", if you are meeting your overall nutritional goals you can have a treat eaten just for enjoyment. Adherence is incredibly important and if having a treat helps that it's a positive thing.

The importance of accuracy of exercise calorie estimates is vastly over-stated on here, there seems to be a weird culture of regarding exercise calories as different to other energy needs of your body. A reasonable and consistent estimate is fine.

Worth a read....
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

Thank you so much for sharing this. I found it very informative.