Not Eating Breakfast...

Options
Hello all.

I usually do not eat breakfast. I have a irregular sleeping pattern, sometimes staying up till 6 am!, so I'm not usually up for breakfast.

What is your take on this? I see more and more people posting about breakfast is the most important meal of the day, too loose weight you have to eat breakfast, etc.

I used to think that well, my breakfast would start when I woke up. Then when I was telling other people that, they would say that's not a good habit to say that.

Is there anyone out there with the same issue? Thanks for any advice and any response. (:

Have a wonderful day and a Happy 4th!

Replies

• JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    well, if you eat when ever you wake up, technically your still "breaking the fast"
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Yep, its not about what time you eat, its when you eat in relation to when you woke up.

Eating more frequently can keep your metabolism happy and running fast.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hello all.

I usually do not eat breakfast. I have a irregular sleeping pattern, sometimes staying up till 6 am!, so I'm not usually up for breakfast.

What is your take on this? I see more and more people posting about breakfast is the most important meal of the day, too loose weight you have to eat breakfast, etc.

I used to think that well, my breakfast would start when I woke up. Then when I was telling other people that, they would say that's not a good habit to say that.

Is there anyone out there with the same issue? Thanks for any advice and any response. (:

Have a wonderful day and a Happy 4th!

FYI, Proper sleep is also very important for losing weight.
  • gtbalm
    gtbalm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello there,

I've always heard it is important to eat within a half an hour of when you wake up, regardless of what time that is. Breakfast is whenever you get up. Your body has gone without food all night or day and needs something to help kick start it. I can't imagine it matters what time that is....so long as it is after you have slept for 6-8 hours.

Lisa
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    By definition, Breakfast means to "break your fast". That fast happens when you sleep. Eating when you get up from your long sleep, in concert with your body's cycle is Breakfast, no matter what time it happens.
  • danieljallen86
    danieljallen86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is simply the first meal you eat when you wake up (breaking your fast from sleeping). If you are on a strange sleep schedule like that and it doesn't impede any diet/exercise/daily needs, there isn't any reason to worry. Just eat a good meal when you wake up and you're good to go.
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    Well it depends on how your eating and when if you stay up late so eat late, and then it late the next day it's still the same hours you are asleep for as normal people, if you want some good fat loss say you only eat for 8-10 hours of the day then look into intermittent fasting I know loads of people that do it with great susses but you need to be strict with it. Search lean gains and you should find a good read on it.
  • ctchc28
    ctchc28 Posts: 9
    Options
    I had that same problem!! I was never a breakfast person, but I forced myself to start getting into the habit of eating breakfast at breakfast time. I found it really hard at first, and I hated it not to mention my sleep patterns were off, and I suffered from insomnia. But now 4 months later I can't NOT eat breakfast. I realized that when I didn't I never actually got hungry, I just ate because it was time to eat, or bored etc. Now I actually get hungry at meal times and I eat only when I get hungry. I have so much more energy, my sleeping has regulated, and It's a lot easier for me to lose weight now. If it's a case of you working a different shift then yes breakfast is when you get up, you can't help that... but if it's not then work on regulating your sleep too. Sleep is really important to weight loss, and I never believed that breakfast was all that important but oh how I've been proven wrong!! Good Luck :-)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Normal sleeping {if possible} contributes to weight-loss success and regulates your eating. If I don't get enough sleep then I crave high caloric foods. By normal sleeping I mean if you can go to sleep before the next morning then I would suggest that.
  • imperfection_is_beauty
    Options
    Thank you all. I really appreciate your comments. (:
  • DanaKinzer
    DanaKinzer Posts: 72
    Options
    Sometimes I wake up and the very thought of food that soon after waking makes me feel a bit nauseous. What I do more often than not is to have a small snack when I first wake up then eat breakfast a bit later.
  • imperfection_is_beauty
    Options
    I had that same problem!! I was never a breakfast person, but I forced myself to start getting into the habit of eating breakfast at breakfast time. I found it really hard at first, and I hated it not to mention my sleep patterns were off, and I suffered from insomnia. But now 4 months later I can't NOT eat breakfast. I realized that when I didn't I never actually got hungry, I just ate because it was time to eat, or bored etc. Now I actually get hungry at meal times and I eat only when I get hungry. I have so much more energy, my sleeping has regulated, and It's a lot easier for me to lose weight now. If it's a case of you working a different shift then yes breakfast is when you get up, you can't help that... but if it's not then work on regulating your sleep too. Sleep is really important to weight loss, and I never believed that breakfast was all that important but oh how I've been proven wrong!! Good Luck :-)

I also have insomnia. I used to sleep at 10pm every night and then my boyfriend started working 3rd shift so I got myself accustomed to that. Now I end up sleeping late and for long hours as well. I've always had problems waking up and not wanting to get myself out of bed.That can be a new goal now, thank you. (:
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    I cant not eat breakfast lol before starting MFP I would wake up in the morning and have like 3 bowls of cereal and I was hungry like an hour later. I actually have a few different pills I cant take with food but I can take the together either so now I wake up around 5:30am take one pill go to the gym, when I get home I take my second pill and get ready for work then I take my multivitamin and eat breakfast :) I found that going to the gym has distracted me from being hungry :) I dont know why you stay up all night but I would suggest getting better sleep... as one said before sleep is important to weight loss also :) Eating breakfast helps you focus more during the day too :) Good luck & sorry if I blabbed a little lol
  • tjwolf13
    tjwolf13 Posts: 14
    Options
    I worked a third shift job for twelve years and often did not get to bed til 7 or 8 in the morning. I still ate the same meals everyone else did but on my own schedule. People would laugh at me when they called at 2 or 3 in the afternoon and when asked what I had been doing, I would respond with, "Eating breakfast." For a while I was going to school as well so I would sleep whenever I could. The one thing I learned was that it was important to eat as regularly as I could, at fairly regular times, otherwise my appetite and diet got really screwed up.