Elderly woman wants to lose weight

Options
nutty192
nutty192 Posts: 50 Member
I am 75 and want to lose weight to help with painful knees, and so that I can carry on my hobby of English folk dancing. To carry on playing with my young grandchildren, and go on country walks with my 84 year old partner, who has no such problems. Am I being unrealistic? Friends needed for support and motivation. Nutty

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Nope not unrealistic at all - what great motivations you have to lose weight!

As someone with quite an extensive collection of knee injuries (3 major, 3 minor) I must say that losing weight has worked wonders for my knee pain.

It's a "virtuous circle" of less weight leading to less pain leading to more activity/exercise leading to higher capabilities.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Go for it. What matters most is motivation, keeping or regaining our mobility is probably one of the best. (me too) Make sure you set your activity level appropriately for you, 1200 calories are probably not your starting point, thinking dancing and walking. I tend to keep to the same number rather than add exercise. From my experience foods with added sugar do not have my interests at heart. Also fat in food is not the baddie it was once said to be principally because it is the foundation of many hormones. I'm sure you can achieve this with a little trimming of excess while enjoying a wide variety of foods.
  • shaylas78
    shaylas78 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi- I just sent you a friend request.
  • spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yep you can do it!

Keep in mind while you're watching your calories that protein is extremely important for the elderly. I would suggest if possible seeing a dietician. Nutrient requirements for the the elderly are a little different than adults. I've never seen a diet under 1500 cal for an elderly person over 70 (I'm a cook in a nursing home) and my people lead sedentary lives. You're already active, which is good! You're a step ahead of many many people.

Good Luck!
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I didn't start losing weight until I was 60, and it worked. I don't think there is an age limit on doing better. I love the advice you've been given here. You can do this!
  • tracykreczmer
    tracykreczmer Posts: 88 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hello from America! I take an aerobic water class with women from fifty to 83! Everyone has had issues from breast cancer..to strokes..to knee surgery ..u are not elderly but fabulous. Do you have a ymca place or swim club? The heated water is wonderful on our wonky limbs! Your docs I know can help too to get u into a place. If not just eliminate one food..also light weights and resistance bands are easy on our bodies! You can do this and you are an inspiration to us too!
  • ArtthurCarlson
    ArtthurCarlson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm 60, and I love English Folk Dancing... Contra Dancing too. I certainly can relate to the knee pain! Friend request sent.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP :)
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I am 72 and I would "never" call myself elderly. I hate that word. Perhaps others use it when I am not listening. But, that's their issue in as much as they too someday, if they live long enough, will be our age. It is more than realistic for you to get fit and fabulous right now. Start where you are. I can outdo people half my age. It takes work and it's not for the lazy but you can do it. And good for you for wanting to begin. Feel free to add me to your friends list. Look at my photos and you'll see someone who may be 72 but looks pretty damn good.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Your goals are most definitely realistic. You can do this. English Folk Dancing sounds like fun and an activity to keep you fit.
    Welcome!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, you can do this - especially an active person like yourself!

I've lost 60+ pounds (over most of a year, starting in April, 2015), though I was 'only' 59 when I started.

That weight loss has been a huge improvement in my knees (torn meniscus, arthritis), and I started noticing a difference around 20 pounds down.

The pool exercise idea is a good one, if you have something available. Also, as we age, using weights is still a great idea - don't let the "lift heavy" idea be scary, it just means using whatever weights are heavy to you. Classes or trainers can be a help with this, too.

Another thing that helped me, even while still obese, was getting a referral for physical therapy, where they helped me to improve my movement patterns, and change the way I walk, climb stairs, etc., to reduce stress on the 'problem' joints.

Wishing you much success!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    nutty192 wrote: »
    Thankyou everyone
    I have made a commitment publicly! Now I just have to stick with it.

There is no turning back!! lol
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everyone
    I have made a commitment publicly! Now I just have to stick with it.

Yay! Onward to success! :smile:
  • mdnorthside
    mdnorthside Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a fun challenge! Add me :)
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    I am 75 and want to lose weight to help with painful knees, and so that I can carry on my hobby of English folk dancing. To carry on playing with my young grandchildren, and go on country walks with my 84 year old partner, who has no such problems. Am I being unrealistic? Friends needed for support and motivation. Nutty

Hi
    FWIW I am sure You can do it, I started working on losing weight 2.5 years ago a while after retiring at 65. I have now lost more than I weigh. Some of what I do is keep anything I might eat to much of out of the house, and I shop with a grocery List and only buy from it to remove impulse buys. When I started I had lots of knee pain and could barely walk to the nearby corner. In the last year with the majority of my weight loss I have increased that to around 3 miles. Therefor I believe Your goal of country walks is easily attainable.

BTW my blood sugar levels, Blood Pressure and Cholesterol levels are now much better. Some from weight loss and some from what I now eat.

Good Luck
    Roger