Question about cutting and bulking strategy

Options
filbo132
filbo132 Posts: 956 Member
So I have been lifting for 3 years, I gained mass of course, however my body isn't shredded...I believe my body fat is around 14% which is average for a male. So I decided as of yesterday to shred (or cut). I currently weight around 179-180lbs...For now my goal is to hit 172lbs, hopefully I will be able to see my abs and muscles more defined...and then maintain that wait until mid september when I start bulking again. My question is how do you when to stop cutting or bulking...I have a hard time figuring out what should be my goal for when I have to bulk this winter. I would like to gain strength and muscles which bulking will help do, but when do you know when to stop and maintain the weight until it's time to cut again?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Stop cutting when you like how you look in the mirror, or when you get tired or unhappy with your gym performance. Stop bulking when you feel too fat.
  • DevonatorOnline
    DevonatorOnline Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I got you bro, arditarose I like your answer also tho. I've played football and have been weight training since I can remember so this is how I usually do it. When I cut I will go from about 190 to 170. Those 20 pounds are a HUGE difference for me and would be for just about anyone if you lose it correctly. My advice would be to also watch in the mirror just like arditarose said. But the number one thing is that I'm 5 foot 9 so I will never let myself go over 195 because I feel too heavy for my height at that point. So if I were you I would get a weight and just set that as your max and swear an oath to never go past it lol,
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Stop cutting when you like how you look in the mirror, or when you get tired or unhappy with your gym performance. Stop bulking when you feel too fat.

Exactly. Unless you're prepping for a show and working with a coach, it's all personal preference. Cut for as long as you want to cut, bulk for as long as you want to bulk. It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

If you're one of those people who need more definite goals/numbers to work towards, then pick a weight that seems reasonable based on your current numbers, then re-evaluate when you hit that goal. That's what a lot of people do, especially when basing things on scale weight.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Tis that simple.