C25K Try again? Also...footwear?

Options
So I injured my ankle like 3 weeks ago on my last day of week 1 for Couch to 5K. I was trying to run on the treadmill which doesn't work out for me, hence the injury.

I was THINKING of trying it again tonight but the question is:

Would I be better off using my fivefingers, which is what I completed my week 1 in (and wear everyday) or my old new balance sneakers?

I don't want to bust my ankle up anymore...

Replies

• RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    i am a runner... of 2 years.... and i know almost NOTHING about five fingers BUT.... my gut tells me that you need more support. i just don't see how running almost completely unsupported can be good for your feet, alignment, gait, etc.
  • kblau
    kblau Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm a novice runner, know nothing about Five Fingers, but I recently invested in a pair of running shoes. I went to a running store and got fitted for shoes. They watched me walk barefoot and measured my arch standing and sitting. I ended up getting New Balance's 840(?) and they ARE AMAZING! Seriously, most amazing sneakers I've ever worn. I've noticed a tremendous difference when I run. I overpronate when I run and I think the sneakers definitely help with that. Not sure if this comment ended up being pointless, but if I had to give a suggestion I'd say go with the running shoes or at least invest in new ones that are perfect for your gait etc.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    yes, i agree with top poster 100%, a GREAT running store will absolutely help you out.... most people that i know who buy five fingers just seem to like the novelty.... it's really a die hard thing to want to run completely "natural" IMHO.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing that Five Fingers and similar "barefoot" runningwear are not meant for beginning runners...if you're only on week 1 of C25k, are you a beginning runner, or an experienced runner that has been out of commission for a while? either way...I agree with the other person who suggested maybe that's not enough support...also, I find that the treadmill is much smoother and I have less aches and pains after my runs when I do them on a treadmill (I currently try to do three runs a week, at least one outside), so I'm sorry to hear you injured yourself by using the treadmill.

Have you been walking or doing any exercises to build your ankle strength back up since your injury? I would start off very slowly and carefully so you don't re-injure yourself...and maybe consult a dr. for the best advice. Good luck!