Mountain bike question

Options
Been a runner & road biker for years. Recently got a mountain bike and riding it on relatively flat trails as I learn how to transition from road to trails. This evening I was introduced to the perils of the goathead thorn. Even if I had a patch kit and pump, it wouldn't have helped since both tires were studded with thorn heads. Fortunately I live on a farm and was only a 15 minute walk back to the house.

So my question is do they make thorn proof tires? Frankly I'm surprised that a bike designed to use on rugged terrain has tires so easily punctured.

Replies

• ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I always take spare tubes and air cylinders. You can buy puncture resistant tubes, they don't work for big punctures though.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are a variety of different types of tires suited for different needs. I'd suggest talking to your local bike shop as they are probably pretty well versed in what tires work best in your area. If you don't' want to go that route, look for a tire with a heavier casing, kevlar, and/or puncture resistant tubes (assuming you're running tubes).

On a related note, thorns like that aren't typically found on well maintained/often used trails. At least not in my experience. Maybe you'd be better served getting onto more public trails?
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies.
    Ivanfawcettgibson, as I left the house I thought about spare tubes, but decided to go light. My mistake.
    @jacksonpt, great advise to talk to my local bike shop for assistance in selecting best tires for the area. I'm going to look into Kevlar.
    You are correct in that I was not on a public trail. I live on a farm. There's several irrigation reservoirs with banks wide enough for a truck. There aren't used unless maintenance is need on the reservoir, so the goathead grows wild on the banks. I didn't know they would puncture my bike tires. Lesson learned.
    Mountain biking is so different from road.
  • warneraz
    warneraz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should consider running your tires tubeless. Your local bike shop should be able to set you up. I have been running my mtb tires tubeless for 4+ years and have had maybe two flats and I ride almost everyday on rough terrain and trails. You still need to carry an extra tube and CO2 or pump with you for the very rare occasion.