Eating too much fat?

Options
I'm in a bulk right now and trying to minimize fat gains. I notice all the macro calculators I've used suggest I eat around 0.45 grams of fat per lb of body weight per day, but at 122 lbs, I find that nearly impossible to achieve. I'm fine with protein, I've been surpassing my goal most of the time. But like today I had over 100 grams of fat... Seems like way too much! Most days I eat around 70-80 grams. I'm not really willing to try to eat completely clean though, as in cutting out all junk food. That just doesn't sound like a happy way to live to me personally. But will this much fat sabotage my muscle gains?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's a minimum to reach as long as you've got a nutritionally sound diet and you are hitting your calorie and minimum protein goals I'd say don't even think about it
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    It's a minimum to reach as long as you've got a nutritionally sound diet and you are hitting your calorie and minimum protein goals I'd say don't even think about it

^Yup this. When I was bulking I frequently ate more than 100g/day... I think my goal was 125g or something. No impact on muscle building
  • foiensoi
    foiensoi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Doesn't 122lbs x 0.45g mean 55g fat? Are you eating 100g because you find it hard to eat less fat? I'm confused as to whether you think you're eating too much or how much you'd actually like to eat in a day..
  • gymrat04mf
    gymrat04mf Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    foiensoi wrote: »
    Doesn't 122lbs x 0.45g mean 55g fat? Are you eating 100g because you find it hard to eat less fat? I'm confused as to whether you think you're eating too much or how much you'd actually like to eat in a day..

Yes, I find it hard to eat a mere 55 g of fat and I'm worried I'm eating too much of it.

• callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    gymrat04mf wrote: »

Yes, I find it hard to eat a mere 55 g of fat and I'm worried I'm eating too much of it.

This last sentence is a contradiction in itself
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

This last sentence is a contradiction in itself

No it wasn't, you just haven't understood her point but moving on.

Fat doesn't make you fat, I had the same issue as yourself and found I was getting nowhere near my carb allowance but over on my fat. Couple adjustments to my macros and i'm happy eating high fat and protein, low carb.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I had the same question, but now I understand what you're asking.

I think some common sense comes into play here, so here's how I think about it
    1. You're not going to be eating like this for ever... I doubt doing it for a short stretch of time (what are we talking about, 6 months maybe) will make much difference in the big picture.
    2. If your diet is reasonably healthy and reasonably balanced, then you're probably fine, especially if you don't have any health reasons to be watching fat intake.
    3. You mentioned "a happy way to live" - that's an iffy concept for many of us, so do an occasional sanity check ot make sure what you think is "happy" is actually a good thing for you long term, which I suspect is why you made this post.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The only potential detriment I could see to this would be a scenario where swapping fat for carbohydrate results in improved training performance and/or recovery.

And you'd only know that by experimentation.

This also assumes that your overall energy intake is appropriate for your goals.