Someone PLEASE look at my diary........

Options
So today I have tried to be really good, Active most of the day (running around after a class of 30 three and 4 yr olds!!) even went for a swim after my 10 hr shift, tried to eat really good, yet im over on my carbs!!!!

Will some one look at my diary and tell me what else i can do or how they think im doing??? PLEASE ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Replies

• kristiedavis1
    Options
    Girl...your diary is locked. Open it up and we will take a look.:happy:
  • sarahavery
    sarahavery Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    opened it now :D
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Overall you're not looking too bad! You're under on your other values :)
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Your diary is fine - it's only 15 over on carbs on a recommended 268 so not worth worrying about.
  • svetlana_vs
    Options
    I would try to cut out all non-fruit carbs, esp. biscuits etc. - you can easily see all highest carb sources in your diary, and I guess too many of them come from biscuits/bread/tortilla's etc.
  • sarahavery
    Options
    i am really struggling with ideas for meals that replace carbs, especially at tea time.
  • kristiedavis1
    Options
    OK....you really don't look that bad. If the carbs concern you, you could cut out some of those bread, tortilla, cupcakes that I've seen on a few days and look for more low carb versions of those if you need them in your diet. Just by adjusting "bread and potatoes" most of us can cut our carbs considerably. I wouldn't obsess over this just think of a few days of avoiding an extra bread or tortilla. Keep up the good work.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I see a LOT of flour based products (biscuits, tortillas, crackers, bread), and potatoes, and almost NO green veggies -- just an occasional tomato. I wouldn't reduce the fruit, but eat some NON-starchy vegetables (corn and potatoes -- not so good.... broccoli, green beans, spinach, etc -- GOOD). You also seem to be carbo-loading many meals -- having a baked potato AND 2 flour tortillas.

Try some fruit at tea-time instead of all the biscuits/cookies.
  • bobisagirl
    bobisagirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Keep calm! Remember these are all guidelines, and it's likely you were craving carbs cuz of all that exercise. I totally get how it's frustrating as well, time and time again I go over my carb limit! However, I'm pretty sure I can see some (possible) problem things.
    1. Your snacks are biscuits! you naughty minx! It's such a cliche, but snacking on fruits and veggies isn't just better for you, you can eat WAY more of them (and thusly stay full) than you can of little sweet or savoury crisp things. Even plain ones like ryvita and rich teas are pretty much pure carbs. If you customized what the fields show, and added 'sugar,' i would bet that you'd be surprised how much sugar you're eating - i was utterly shocked at mine especially cuz i don't have much of a sweet tooth, but it was adding so much to my carb intake!
    2. I notice for your lunch you had rice and a tortilla in there. Maybe go for one or the other, or have something that's filling but more protein-y instead of the rice, such as beans or chickpeas. Substitutions help with loads of stuff, through all meals.
    Keep fighting the good fight!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It looks like a fair amount of your carbs are from natural sources (fruit, grains, etc). You aren't over by a whole lot, either.

You might want to make sure that most of your grains are whole grain. Instead of biscuits go for whole wheat bread, try brown rice instead of white, etc. While it might now lower your carbs by much, whole grains have carbs that are more complex (and so digest more slowly) than refined grains. That means they will have less impact on blood sugar, which is the general concern over carbs.

But as long as you are under calories overall, and not too carb heavy, I wouldn't sweat it.
  • sarahavery
    Options
    Im just feeling a bit down. I tried really hard, and now just feel crap cos of it :mad:
  • bobisagirl
    Options
    i am really struggling with ideas for meals that replace carbs, especially at tea time.

Add: Carbs are the easiest thing to eat at evening and tea-times, but have a look all over the web for low-carb, tasty meals, i guarantee you'll find plenty of ideas. You could:
    Eat lentils, chickpeas or beans with stews and curries instead of rice or potatoes.
    Roast vegetables such as carrots, parsnips and all sorts (surprisingly delicious: roast broccoli) and have them as a side to proteins like chicken or fish (if you eat meat)
    Have a great big salad as a side dish or starter to fill you up. That stuff is so low-calorie, you can munch it all day, and it needn't be dull and gross (again, internet is your friend)
    Try making a big pot of soup, but not adding potatoes, and having that for lunch or in cups as snacks so you can save your carbs for later.
  • Persipan
    Persipan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Well, you seem to have eaten bread, crispbread, potato, rice, tortillas and three kinds of biscuits, plus various kinds of fruit. None of those things are bad, but all of them added together does start to make things a bit carb-tastic! I wouldn't worry if I were you - getting everything absolutely perfect is pretty much never going to happen, and it's not like you're massively over. But, if you really want to bring your carbs down below what's suggested, try swapping one or two of those things for something else - some carrot sticks,or something protein-y, instead of biscuits; whatever you like, really - and you're sorted. I think the obvious one in today's diary is at dinner - have one tortilla instead of two (you can still have just as much or even more filling, but shove it in a bowl instead of wrapping it up), and Robert's your mother's brother...
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm from Texas originally, and one of the first things that we tend to cut out when we're dieting is the flour tortillas (the staple of all Tex-Mex food, sigh). However, the switch to corn tortillas for me over the years hasn't been painful, and it saves a lot of calories and carbs. Also, I think store bought corn tortillas taste a lot better than the flour ones, but I'm a Tex-Mex snob :)

If you're really worried about carbs, cutting sugar in general will help with that. I'm not the best example for keeping weight off since I've tended to yo-yo, but I've always had success losing weight (and feeling better in general) by cutting a lot of sugar out at the beginning of a weight loss diet. Those first couple of days SUCK, but after that you get used to things not tasting as sweet, and the things you used to love can even taste TOO sweet. I've gotten to where I cut the sugar by 1/3 to 1/2 whenever I bake now. I also buy plain yogurt, add fresh fruit to it, and sweeten it to taste with honey, and that has cut back on my sugar, too.
  • sarahavery
    Options
    thanks everyone. I guess snacking hasnt helped at all really. I feel as though my hour at swimming was for nothing really :sad:
  • bobisagirl
    Options
    No way! Swimming is great at toning, and you were still under your calorie goal! Don't give up, we all have little setbacks, but it'll get easier!
  • TheSarahHill
    TheSarahHill Posts: 185
    Options
    You're quite local to me - hello there!! :-)

You're eating healthy but a lot of carbs, try and balance you're meals a bit better.

Mushrooms are fab, they are quite filling too!

Fry mushrooms in a low fat spray (the butter flavour one preferably) add garlic, a tiny bit of salt and lots of black pepper. Then add a bit of low fat creme freche and it's so tasty! It's nice with chicken, steak, pork, wholemeal pitta etc etc. It's even nicer if you add red onions to it too! I usually stock up on that I find it helps!

How do you feel about quorn? If you are going to do wraps it's probs better to use quorn peices rather than cous cous :-)
  • TheSarahHill
    TheSarahHill Posts: 185
    Options
    No way! Swimming is great at toning, and you were still under your calorie goal! Don't give up, we all have little setbacks, but it'll get easier!

Nicely stated :-)
  • katemarjoram
    katemarjoram Posts: 203
    Options
    I see a LOT of flour based products (biscuits, tortillas, crackers, bread), and potatoes, and almost NO green veggies -- just an occasional tomato. I wouldn't reduce the fruit, but eat some NON-starchy vegetables (corn and potatoes -- not so good.... broccoli, green beans, spinach, etc -- GOOD). You also seem to be carbo-loading many meals -- having a baked potato AND 2 flour tortillas.

Try some fruit at tea-time instead of all the biscuits/cookies.

I agree. I would look at only having only one 'carb' (potato OR rice OR tortilla OR bread) at each meal and adding in non-starchy vegies or proteins instead. You also don't seem to have any dairy so that is something you might want to try incorporating - I find that low fat dairy fills me up well.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    A good idea is to try to identify the macronutrients on your plate at meals. Where do you see carbs/fat/protein and how much of each do you see?