Video game ethics (specifically about freemium apps)

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
Got a spill over from another board I post on. Involves video game ethics as it applies to an in game currency that can either be played for or paid for.

If there are certain glitches in the game that allow one to acquire said currency/items without hacking, but not really in the normal framework and "spirit" of the game are those methods within acceptable video game "ethics", or are they "OMG THAT'S HORRIBLE AND YOU"RE CHEATER (but tell me how you do it?)"?

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I cut my teeth on the Atari 2600, Nintendo, and Supernintendo, so these type of questions weren't around during my formative years.

I owned a game genie, so I did everything possible to get ahead (or play with modified games)
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    My husband plays a game that lets him adjust settings to make the game easier or harder, and he frequently asks me, "Do you think this is cheating?" My criteria are these: Does it give you advantage over other players that they can't get without the "cheat"? Does it deprive you of an experience or challenge in the game that's part of the idea of playing? Or does it merely remove some of the boring / grinding parts of the game and let you get to the more fun parts?
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    I cut my teeth on the Atari 2600, Nintendo, and Supernintendo, so these type of questions weren't around during my formative years.

I owned a game genie, so I did everything possible to get ahead (or play with modified games)

They were around, you just had to know where to look (old enough to remember) - a lot of it actually depends on what the user agreement for the app is - some of the apps if they find out will ban you, others do not seem to care.

If you are playing or competing against others, then yes, it would be cheating in my opinion. If you are just playing for fun, no standings competition etc, possibly, but you cheat yourself in a way.