Weighing in?

Options
I know this question probably has been asked a trillion times on here but what is the best time and day to weight in and what day of the week?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Weigh yourself after waking from your longest sleep (morning for most people), after going to the bathroom, and before drinking/eating. And do it naked (assuming you have a home scale obviously. ) This gives you more comparable measurements each time.

Day doesn't matter. You can do it daily or weekly or monthly. I like daily because it has helped me see how/when my weight fluctuates due to food I've eaten, fat loss, hormones, etc.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, after using the bathroom and before consuming everything. As for day of the week, it's personal preference. Some weigh every day, some choose a set day of the week, and others may only weigh every other week or once a month.
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My doctor said once a week at the same time every week.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I know this question probably has been asked a trillion times on here

Only about a million. Use the search feature to see the replies. :+1:

Don't weigh on Mondays if, like many people, you eat more or eat out more over the weekend, because you could be holding onto a few extra pounds of water, from the extra sodium & carbs.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Weigh yourself after waking from your longest sleep (morning for most people), after going to the bathroom, and before drinking/eating. And do it naked (assuming you have a home scale obviously. ) This gives you more comparable measurements each time.

Day doesn't matter. You can do it daily or weekly or monthly. I like daily because it has helped me see how/when my weight fluctuates due to food I've eaten, fat loss, hormones, etc.

Agreed.

Personally, I record my weight every day so I can watch the trends/averages rather than getting hung up on a specific number for any length of time, but my official MFP weigh-in days are Monday and Friday.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    What they said (first thing in the morning after the bathroom, birthday suit). I personally weigh every day (and log it). It helps me big time with trending, and typically there are no surprises like there might be if you weigh weekly. After weighing daily for awhile you pretty much know what the scale will say based upon if you've been sticking to the plan or not.