Need help!

Options
I've lost 17 pounds already in less than 2months I still need to loose 5 more pounds but having a husband who does not like the idea of dieting and will never eat healthy gets hard. Also having 2 small children gets even more hard since I have to cook some food that I would love to eat and that I have to taste before serving it to them. I always end up taking more than 1 bite into their food . I NEED HELP ON SAYING NO TO THAT !

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I have a husband that's never been overweight and four children, so I understand your struggle. Really the only communal meal we have is dinner (everyone eats a different breakfast and lunch, often at different times). I am the primary shopper and cook, so that helps. I do buy "junk food" for my husband and children, but I limit the amount (and once it's gone I don't go buy more until my next regularly scheduled shopping trip) and try to purchase things they like, but that I'm not particularly fond of. It also helps for me to tell myself that those items are "their food" not mine. I make healthy dinners, for the most part, and it's easy for me to stick to my plan, but sometimes we do have "fun" dinners (pizza, fried chicken, homemade mac n cheese, etc). I just take a smaller portion of the main dish and fill out my plate with a lot of salad and veggies.

Question - why do you need to taste their food? I check temperature of my one year olds food by simply putting some to my lips, not actually tasting. If you are tasting for seasoning, could you just have them take a taste and ask them (assuming they are old enough)? I know when you are close to goal every bite can add up, but if you can limit it to just one small taste, I wouldn't think that would make a huge difference.
  • michellediaz2409
    michellediaz2409 Posts: 5 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    That is very very true I guess I was just making an excuse to just eat what they where eating . I should try eating more salads also I'm not so fond of salads and I get more hungry for some good reason .
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    That is very very true I guess I was just making an excuse to just eat what they where eating .

You totally can still eat what they are eating! You will have to watch the portions, and it may be hard to work certain things into your calorie budget so you might decide some of their foods aren't worth it, but by just taking small portions (and rounding out your plate with more veggies/salad) you can still enjoy family favorites. I don't like the idea of cooking separate meals for myself vs my family, so I mainly plan things that work with my diet, but that everyone else likes too. I just take different proportions of things than they do. For example, on spaghetti and meatball night, my kids get a portion of cooked pasta, plus one or two meatballs, and a small side of salad. I take a huge bowl of salad and three meatballs, no pasta. On mac n cheese night they get about a cup of macaroni and some broccoli, I take about a half cup of macaroni and 1-1.5 c of broccoli, plus a side salad. I generally take less, if any, of the starchy sides, more of the fibrous veggies, and a bit more meat. That way we can all eat the same things, but they aren't being put on a "diet", and I'm still able to stay within my goals. I keep treats, snacks, and desserts on hand that work within my diet, so that when they are enjoying their stuff, I can have something too, if I want, and not feel "left out" or deprived.

• Xo_healthylc
    Xo_healthylc Posts: 77 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Losing 17 lbs in 2 months with so little to lose is incredibly aggressive. Eat and enjoy those bites of food and let your weight loss slow down so you don't lose any more muscle mass than you already have. The key now is for you to find a way of eating that you can continue for the rest of your life while maintaining a healthy weight. Please take care of yourself, and best of luck :drinker:
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Losing 17 lbs in 2 months with so little to lose is incredibly aggressive. Eat and enjoy those bites of food and let your weight loss slow down so you don't lose any more muscle mass than you already have. The key now is for you to find a way of eating that you can continue for the rest of your life while maintaining a healthy weight. Please take care of yourself, and best of luck :drinker:

My thoughts exactly.
  • michellediaz2409
    michellediaz2409 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    That is very very true I guess I was just making an excuse to just eat what they where eating .

You totally can still eat what they are eating! You will have to watch the portions, and it may be hard to work certain things into your calorie budget so you might decide some of their foods aren't worth it, but by just taking small portions (and rounding out your plate with more veggies/salad) you can still enjoy family favorites. I don't like the idea of cooking separate meals for myself vs my family, so I mainly plan things that work with my diet, but that everyone else likes too. I just take different proportions of things than they do. For example, on spaghetti and meatball night, my kids get a portion of cooked pasta, plus one or two meatballs, and a small side of salad. I take a huge bowl of salad and three meatballs, no pasta. On mac n cheese night they get about a cup of macaroni and some broccoli, I take about a half cup of macaroni and 1-1.5 c of broccoli, plus a side salad. I generally take less, if any, of the starchy sides, more of the fibrous veggies, and a bit more meat. That way we can all eat the same things, but they aren't being put on a "diet", and I'm still able to stay within my goals. I keep treats, snacks, and desserts on hand that work within my diet, so that when they are enjoying their stuff, I can have something too, if I want, and not feel "left out" or deprived.

Thank you very much that sounds like a great eating plan! I'm definitely going to start doing this from now on.