Pokemon Go

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »
    FeedMeFish wrote: »
    I'd rather play my Pokémon Yellow, Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Crystal, etc...you know, the real sh-t.
    PokemonGo= failed

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-11/nintendo-surges-as-pokemon-go-downloads-top-app-store-rankings

"Nintendo Co. surged by its daily limit, jumping as much as 25 percent, as its new Pokemon Go game tops smartphone app rankings.

The stock jumped the most since it began trading in Tokyo in 1983, and was 24 percent higher as of 10:04 a.m. Shares of the Kyoto-based company have climbed 34 percent in the past two trading days after the release of the augmented reality game for the fantastical monster-like characters."

http://www.cnet.com/news/it-took-just-one-day-for-pokemon-go-to-outstrip-tinder/

"The day after Pokemon Go launched in North America, the game was installed on more Android phones in the US than Tinder, and now it's close to surpassing Twitter."

Look, I'm a fan from the old days too. I played Red, Blue, Yellow and Silver on my Gameboy Color back in the day. You can dislike it all you want and say "Pokémon Go = failed" but the numbers don't lie.

More people want to play a video game than look for a hook up. Sad day for society :).
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this game! We went out as a family walking and driving around different areas, catching Pokemon and looking for Pokemon Stops. My daughter loved it cause she got a long stroller ride, stopped at her favorite park and I loved it because I got so many extra steps in than I normally would have for a Saturday! Bonus points for making playgrounds Pokemon gyms to keep everyone entertained.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It's pretty amazing it's getting people exercising talking to people they don't know and exploring their cities.

I put down a lure and 7 other people came to the park I was at and we were sitting talking with each other catching pokemon. Also I walked 50,000 step between Saturday and Sunday.

The servers are a problem but hopefully we will get a patch early this week.
  • Sarahb29
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    Lots of fun and very addictive! But I wish pokemon would live at the beach or the trails instead of the shopping mall.

You can set up things to attract more Pokemon to your spot on the beach, I seen many people doing that. You can use incense or those lure things. Get your tan on :)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I can't quite figure it out. Been trying to sign my son up for several days and the app constantly crashes before we can even get his character customized. Anyone else having that problem?
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Yup just downloaded it yesterday and my kids and I were out in the morning and walked more wherever we stopped to look for Pokémon and get stuff from the stops. My kids were even excited to walk around the neighborhood cause there was a charizard on the next street! Total see this getting the whole family out for walks!
  • Sarahb29
    Options
    fbmandy55 wrote: »
    I can't quite figure it out. Been trying to sign my son up for several days and the app constantly crashes before we can even get his character customized. Anyone else having that problem?

Yeah sometimes mine crashed once in awhile. Their servers have been overloaded because it's become really popular. I had better luck signing up with "Google play" than creating an account manually for some reason.
  • Sarahb29
    Options
    It's pretty amazing it's getting people exercising talking to people they don't know and exploring their cities.

I put down a lure and 7 other people came to the park I was at and we were sitting talking with each other catching pokemon. Also I walked 50,000 step between Saturday and Sunday.

The servers are a problem but hopefully we will get a patch early this week.

Yup the mall was a pretty popular spot on Saturday and a local cemetery was popular too, loads of people walking around in circles. Each of the memorial pieces had a Pokemon Stop and someone had set up a lure right in the middle of the area by a big fountain.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    fbmandy55 wrote: »

Yeah sometimes mine crashed once in awhile. Their servers have been overloaded because it's become really popular. I had better luck signing up with "Google play" than creating an account manually for some reason.

Well it works fine on my phone. Maybe need to have my kiddo create a new account using google instead of the Pokemon site. That or it's his Galaxy tab.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Never heard of this app until this happened in the little town I live in. Pokeman Go searcher finds dead body.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/teenager-finds-dead-body-river-playing-pokemon-article-1.2704983
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Be careful you don't have a surprise on your data charges next phone bill.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

It actually uses pretty little data, about 10 mb per hour of play.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I read this somewhere so I am not 100% how true it is but for those concerned with data usage and battery life...

Pokémon Go uses Google maps API and downloading the map helps in lowering data consumption and extend battery life since it's not constantly updating.

Open Google maps

Goto settings

Go to Offline maps

Hit the Plus sign

Choose your area

This however doesn't mean you can now play offline without a network or wifi connection. You still need those and downloading a offline map will take up storage space on your device.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It is mind boggling how many people I am running into when out walking or riding my bike that are walking/biking/skateboarding to get the pokestops. I went to a fairly big park by a friends house and I think we had to run into atleast 30 people in the span of an hour.

Also to the person that worried about data, it uses surprisingly little data, it is a complete battery hog though even on power saver mode (where you hold it upside down and it blacks out the screen)
  • Taylorgo90
    Taylorgo90 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    interesting to try such
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It's not out in the UK yet :'( I know I can get the apk but I'd much rather wait for the official release. I'm excited!
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Heads up for anyone with this installed or is thinking about it

http://www.popsci.com/pokemon-go-has-access-to-your-entire-google-account

Anyone who signed up for Pokémon GO with a Google account (the other option, a Pokémon.com account, is unavailable right now) has perhaps unknowingly given Nintendo and developer Niantic (formerly owned by Google, but still part of Google's investment portfolio) full account access. That means they can see/edit/collect just about anything related to your Google account. Emails, photos, documents, all of your past location and search history: it can see all of this stuff, from even before you started using the app. It can also send emails as you—kind of the number one, red flag, alarm bell hacker opportunity in the digital world, aside from banking.

It's a potentially disastrous security risk: just one hack or leak of user information would mean compromises in Google information for a group of people about as large as the number of active daily users for Twitter on Android.

Even if the data isn't hacked, these two companies are already getting access to (and the ability to edit) your info—pictures, emails, documents—basically everything they could ever want, except a few key abilities like using Google Wallet, changing your password, or deleting your account).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I broke my toe playing this.. I now have a Pokemon Go badge of honor!
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »

Anyone who signed up for Pokémon GO with a Google account (the other option, a Pokémon.com account, is unavailable right now) has perhaps unknowingly given Nintendo and developer Niantic (formerly owned by Google, but still part of Google's investment portfolio) full account access. That means they can see/edit/collect just about anything related to your Google account. Emails, photos, documents, all of your past location and search history: it can see all of this stuff, from even before you started using the app. It can also send emails as you—kind of the number one, red flag, alarm bell hacker opportunity in the digital world, aside from banking.

It's a potentially disastrous security risk: just one hack or leak of user information would mean compromises in Google information for a group of people about as large as the number of active daily users for Twitter on Android.

Even if the data isn't hacked, these two companies are already getting access to (and the ability to edit) your info—pictures, emails, documents—basically everything they could ever want, except a few key abilities like using Google Wallet, changing your password, or deleting your account).

This is all true. And also why I created a new Gmail account just to play.
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »

This is all true. And also why I created a new Gmail account just to play.

I knew this would bite them back in the butt lol. See, this is why I play the classic pokemon games (if/when I do play games).