Does anybody else find weekends tough

Options
It seems I'm eating healthy in the week but when it comes to weekends I find it so hard to stick to healthy eating. I lose all my will power and have a completely different attitude to the way I eat. Anybody got any tips for weekend binges?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What's different on your weekends? Do you have more free time? Are you encountering foods you don't encounter during the rest of the week? Are you restricting too much M-F?

I have found that pre-logging helps me stay accountable on the weekends.
  • Xo_healthylc
    Xo_healthylc Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I try to stay at my "lose 1.5 pounds a week" setting during week days and then do maintance calories on weekends. I averages out for me at about 1 pound a week loss calorie wise. Also start your day off with some exercise and you will feel better and not want o blow your calories burned so you might want to eat better. I try to exercise during the weekend as well as stay on maintance and I eat my exercise calories back and have lost every week doing so.
  • lenemar81
    lenemar81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    weekends are easier for me to eat healthier , I work on an office sitting all day and I take to nibble so I have to keep reminding my self to be good. I get very anxious at work.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, and I've been trying to work on that.

I find that usually only eat 2 meals on the weekends, a mid-morning meal/brunch and dinner. They tend to be less healthy meals that I'd eat during the week. I also have more social events, so I'm more likely to have a few drinks as well.

The last two weeks, I've gone for a long hike at least one of the two days, and made an effort to drink more water. Both of those things seem to have helped a little.

I've heard of people reducing their calories during the week slightly to save a few extra calories for the weekends, I may try that soon.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If you binge..or have trouble controlling it on weekends or want a way to eat sort of normal after dieting all week, eat at maintenance calories. And eat what you want to. You will loose weight a wee slower, but this will allow you to not binge which def keeps you from progressing.

Add in a little more exercise or walk some on weekends to burn a few more calories too.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm actually more behaved on the weekends as odd as it sounds. At work I'm more likely to hit up the candy jar. I still am in a calorie deficit, but at home I don't have things like that. I tend to eat candy at work out of boredom or due to stress.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Me me me me me!!
    Mine is entirely alcohol-related, though. My planned "glass of wine" on Friday and Saturday night typically turns into 3 glasses plus a bunch of snacks when I lose my will-power.
  • displaced1
    displaced1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Weekends can be more difficult for me if I'm too relaxed or sitting around the house. If I'm busy I don't have as much time to eat. We also tend to eat out more on the weekends, which is a problem for me. Maybe train for something (exercise wise, like a running or biking program), which tend to have long days on the weekends for training.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I agree with those to talked about prelogging. It's very helpful!
  • mysticatgal1
    mysticatgal1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I do in that my husband is not eating as well and eats out twice a weekend. I try to budget for a drink or 2 also but it is hard. I do manage to get in more exercise which helps. We do take a couple mile hike in once a weekend which is all we can do with a 2 and 3 year old.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I purposely eat less Sunday-Thursday. Friday and Saturday aren't cheat days but I do have calories saved during the week to have some drinks or eat more.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I don't find them hard, I actually find them easier because I'm more busy. Maybe you could eat 100 calories less everyday of the week and save 500 extra calories for the weekend?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not really...I mean weekends are when I'm likely to take the kids out for pizza or a movie and some popcorn, etc...but I don't think I need to be 100% bang on "healthy" all of the time...most of the time is sufficient. I do drink more beer on weekends too but that is generally balanced out with more activity...weekends are when I can get out on my bike and go for longer rides...I'm also just a lot more generally active than I am during the work week...do more, eat more.
  • jammer1963
    jammer1963 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    csaville12 wrote: »
    It seems I'm eating healthy in the week but when it comes to weekends I find it so hard to stick to healthy eating. I lose all my will power and have a completely different attitude to the way I eat. Anybody got any tips for weekend binges?

Yeah sometimes because when I'm working, I just don't have the chance to "cheat".
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! Weekends are hard for me because eating becomes more social; I go out for dinner with friends, I have cocktails, I tend to do more baking so cakes and brownies and other awesome little delights get tossed in the mix. I am fine with that, I know it is part of how I like my life. I just raise my calorie intake to 1800 or Saturday and Sunday (during the week I eat between 1200 and 1400). I also become much more active over the weekend so it seems to not be impacting me too badly; I'm still losing anyway.
  • gjw1911
    gjw1911 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues with weekends, and what I do is remain strict for breakfast and lunch on Sat & Sun. However for dinner on Sat & Sun I just give myself some leeway. I just let those two meals be my cheat meals, but for this to work for me, I have to be on point with my diet the rest of the week. My weekly caloric intake need to be less that what is burned.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Like some other people have mentioned, I just allot myself more calories on the weekends because I know I will want to indulge. I eat 1500 on week nights and 2100-2200 on weekends so that I hit 1800 or so as a weekly average calorie goal. This helps me keep my deficit on track but not feel deprived or resentful on weekends, or like I can't enjoy social occasions.
  • aquablue_1111
    aquablue_1111 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time on weekends too.

The aspects of the weekend that I don't do well with is the unpredictability. I might be out doing errands, or hanging out with family, or whatever. I found I was just taking a bite or two of things then running out the door, not knowing when I was going to eat next or planning what I'd eat at the gatherings. This caused me to overeat. To combat this, I try to pre-log and eat what I normally would on both weekends and weekdays, especially breakfast and my snacks. (Breakfast and snacks are typically portable so I can take them with me, if I'm out.)

The other aspect of the weekend is we go out to eat once during that time and for me, I find it hard to resist ordering something that isn't chicken. Yes, yes, I know there are other options outside of chicken dishes at restaurants but for me, my perception is that every time I look at the menus, the healthiest option is always chicken. It's get 'old' after a while. But with that being said, one thing I try to do is to not be starving when we arrive at the restaurant and to add a salad or more veggies to a dish. Or I try to figure out which aspect of my dish is the calorie bomb and eat a small portion of that.

The one thing that I love about weekends is, when I am mindful of what I'm eating, the days go by so fast, I'm typically 'under' my calorie count by the time dinner rolls around.

And finally, after binging on the weekends (I'm talking about eating in excess of 1000-2000 calories) so many times, feeling bad/guilty gets 'old' too! Recently, I've been able to minimize the binging by reminding myself of that. It doesn't always work but I've noticed this happening more.

Hang in there, I wish I could offer something more concrete but sometimes you end up trying different things until something(s) stick.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yes. extremely.

it doesn't help that because I'm single and have my food provided for me at work Mon-Friday I don't grocery shop. I can get away with this during the week because I can just take an extra lunch home or have a yogurt for dinner. Saturdays and Sundays I'm at a loss and either end up ordering in food (never a good idea lol) or eating something crazy.

I think what I might just start doing is making meals aheads of time for Sat/Sunday and freezing them
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Only if I have a big family event or party, but even then I try to be sensible.