What made you want to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,332 Member
    Options
    Everything in my life seemed to be spiraling out of control a couple years ago. My health and fitness were pretty much the only things I was able to control. It then became a sort of therapy throughout my divorce.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    lista10 wrote: »
    Before I got married I had multiple boy friends tell me oh if only you had abs, or didn't get tired going on 5 mile hike, or if you were a body builder or my favorite after going to the gym while in high school he was all up set and I had asked him what his deal was and it was that he didn't want a fat wife one day. You know dang trying to get my sexy mamma back isn't easy and ya I've got some stretch marks but hey screw you guys cuz I'm going to look good! Hahah is what I think of when people look at me. It's all how you feel about your self, it's time I focus on how I'm trying and everyone starts some where. So good job for everyone here killin it and working your *kitten* off.

Your ex boyfriends sound like completedicks.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    lista10 wrote: »
    Before I got married I had multiple boy friends tell me oh if only you had abs, or didn't get tired going on 5 mile hike, or if you were a body builder or my favorite after going to the gym while in high school he was all up set and I had asked him what his deal was and it was that he didn't want a fat wife one day. You know dang trying to get my sexy mamma back isn't easy and ya I've got some stretch marks but hey screw you guys cuz I'm going to look good! Hahah is what I think of when people look at me. It's all how you feel about your self, it's time I focus on how I'm trying and everyone starts some where. So good job for everyone here killin it and working your *kitten* off.

Your ex boyfriends sound like completedicks.

These are the stories I have trouble believing....

Stories don't start with "oh if only" anymore.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Turning 51. Noticing all the chubby middle-aged bodies around me, and not wanting one.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Honestly I grew up very fit. I cycled a lot, Water Skied a lot, played Baseball, Played Football, went to the HS Gym. But i let myself go.

My wake up call was when I couldn't fit on a Roller Coaster at a local amusement park. So I started lifting, running and cycling.

I did it for myself, my wife and my daughter. From 326-217 in less than one calendar year. I've been going back up slightly but my clothing is still fitting, in fact some of it is too big. So I've been looking at my diet and re aligning things to get back down a little.
  • 285to170
    285to170 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I've never really had a moment of realization that I needed to lose weight but I have been through some cringe worthy moments that I'll share with y'all.

Last year I had a problem strapping up on flights. After 22hrs, three connections, and neighbour CONSTANTLY needing to get up I finally gave up and said, "Screw this I'll just die if anything happens." I no longer have this problem. Yay!

Again, last year I was out with some friends and some loser I'd been seeing for two weeks. A friend of mine was admiring photos of me from my slimmer days with no ill will intended. Guy I was seeing asks who that is and my friend said that was me, he proceeds to saying "Stop joking that chick is way too hot to be her". All of my friends are dumbfounded and say no dude that's her, chill. Guy goes "What happened to you? You mean to tell me I could've been dating THAT CHICK?!!!!" The only thing that annoyed me about that night was the look of horror and pity I could see on my friends faces. They tried to comfort me but there was nothing to comfort.

There are loads more but luckily I've got thick skin and probably way more confidence than I should have.
  • lista10
    lista10 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    That's ok you don't have to believe me, it's my past everyone has one. Who cares what all my ex boy friends would say, I've moved on and see I'm not all of those things I had a child and I was happy and ate like a pregnant woman who didn't care. Now I care about my self because heart attacks and cancer and diabetes are things I don't want.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Turning 51. Noticing all the chubby middle-aged bodies around me, and not wanting one.
    That sense of superiority with respect to your surrounding is a sign of sub-conscious insecurity related to self-worth.

I like turtles.

Edit- p.s. I'm pretty sure, since I have an overweight middle-aged body myself, a sense of superiority was not figured into that moment of epiphany. I will cop to some insecurity when it comes to body image.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Weight loss just comes with the territory of what my goals are. I'd like to reach a certain body fat % while lifting as much as possible.

It's nice to get second looks at the beach, cut my grass without a shirt on, and have 22 year old Hooter's waitresses asking for my business card and getting WYD texts at midnight when I'm sleeping.
    You cheeky fcuker. Lol.

How about them 30/40 year olds. They are the ones out to devour the men.

This one was just 22. I'm not against 30/40 year olds either. Don't see many of them at Hooter's though.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I got sick of looking at a "fat-boy, wide-body" in the mirror
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I was 'skinny fat' and didn't totally care. Until a biometrics showed bad cholesterol, I was in my 40's with two little ones. Wake up! I want to be around as long as I can for THEM.
    I May focus on "looking better" (because you can't track the inside weekly) but really its about overall health and 'aging well'.
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Hey_Its_That_One_Guy Posts: 21,763 Member
    Options
    When I was using the "yo mama so fat jokes" and they described things that happened to me. I used a hula hoop as a belt! And when I went into the ocean the water level rose!
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I had a "moment"; I was just done being fat! I do know that I began the journey at the same time my only child started basic training for the USAF. I knew that nothing I was doing was as hard as what he was doing, so that allowed me to push through!
  • zoober
    zoober Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Had a belly like a beach ball and a navel hernia. Then my numbers revealed that I had a fatty liver, and it was killing liver cells leading to probable cirrhosis. I was at waist size 40, and those pants were getting tight. My mom died and my dad was all alone in his late 80's, and my son was still in college. I realized how they all depended on me. So, I came to this site, started exercising and counting calories, lost close to 47 pounds that I have kept off for the last 4 years. Waist size 34!
  • lista10
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Louise1491 wrote: »
    Because the milkshakes stopped bringing all the boys to the yard.

No but seriously, my mum died in 2010 at only 46 (unrelated to weight) and it hit me hard, anxiety and depression took over my life and I lost pretty much everything good. In the last year or so though I've just been trying to do everything that she would want me to do-to make her proud and exercise and healthy eating has helped with anxiety ALOT.
    I want to just be stronger, healthier and have a nice behind.

That's great! Your doing awesome. Your mom would be proud. Add me as friend!
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    it was all about my health. i've been having yearly blood tests for a while now, and then one day it dawned on me that the REASON my doctor wants me to have these is because i'm obese and she's making sure i'm not starting to become diabetic or have heart problems. that realization in and of itself was a WOW moment...i thought it was standard testing, but i don't think it is for people in their 30's. yikes. a second was when my blood results showed high cholesterol. with a family history of heart disease, my gp told me that taking heart medicine isn't optional, but what IS optional is WHEN i start taking it: now or in a couple of decades. i'm going to do my damndest to make sure it's in a couple of decades.
  • lista10
    Options
    cariduttry wrote: »
    it was all about my health. i've been having yearly blood tests for a while now, and then one day it dawned on me that the REASON my doctor wants me to have these is because i'm obese and she's making sure i'm not starting to become diabetic or have heart problems. that realization in and of itself was a WOW moment...i thought it was standard testing, but i don't think it is for people in their 30's. yikes. a second was when my blood results showed high cholesterol. with a family history of heart disease, my gp told me that taking heart medicine isn't optional, but what IS optional is WHEN i start taking it: now or in a couple of decades. i'm going to do my damndest to make sure it's in a couple of decades.

That's awesome. I decided to really be healthier when my mom had a heart attack when she was 46. Cancer also runs in my family and diabetes so those are some of the big reasons why I want to be healthy. That's good your wanting to try to make sure it doesn't happen to you.
  • dancerchick1743
    dancerchick1743 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Anyone have tips?
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Hey_Its_That_One_Guy Posts: 21,763 Member
    Options
    Sugar_Pill wrote: »
    I was fat. I didn't wanna be fat.

And cause I wanted a thigh gap.

What about back dimples? @Sugar_Pill