Prepackaged diet foods (like Medifast, etc.)

Options
suznhenz
suznhenz Posts: 33 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all- I have recently gotten back into exercising with my TerraTrike and knew that I had to also start eating a LOT better to lose a LOT of weight. So, I went to my old stand-by, and bought their low carb, high protein foods. Their diet plan has you eat 1 diet breakfast, 2 diet shakes (or puddings), 3 Protein Bars and one regular meal a day. I basically do it, but might have 3 slices of turkey bacon instead of a shake, and I add fresh watermelon a couple times a day when I can get it. The diet shopz has a really nice vegetarian joe (dehydrated) which I eat over spiralized zucchini or shredded napa cabbage for lunch, or another entree over seasoned italian beans, for example. When I am out running around and can't get home to eat, I have the protein bars, some of which are pretty good. They are also great when you have a craving for something sweet and chewy or crispy (depending on the bar.) For dinner I have a small portion of meat and a couple vegetables, usually including mashed cauliflower. Anybody else use foods like that?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You won't get a lot of support for meal replacements here. This is (after all) a site for measuring & logging food. Shakes and meal replacements are designed for you to skip all that "hassle."

I did Slim Fast shakes years ago and regained the weight I lost. Meal replacements have a really poor track record for long term success. But this is great for repeat business (as in your old stand-by).

Meal replacements taught me nothing about the portion sizes for foods I actually ate. Portion control is how I am going to keep the weight I lost off. Portion control helps me create LIFESTYLE changes for foods I will continue to eat in the future.

I don't eat many "fake" foods either. I continue to eat regular noodles & regular rice.....but in real portions. I don't intend to eat zoodles or cauliflower rice forever. Eventually I will have to figure things out (or be fat again).

Here are a couple great threads for newbies:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't eat like that because I love to cook. But I don't think there is anything wrong with eating like that if it's your preference and you have the money to spend on it. Eat whatever you like.
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    No. Too expensive, too much sodium.
  • mysticatgal1
    mysticatgal1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I did Medifast at one point but it all came back plus some as soon as I finished. It isn't long lasting or really a healthy alternative. I feel my best counting and measuring real foods in a plan that's easy to continue when I hit a goal weight. It's slower but so much better.
  • suznhenz
    Options
    I am definitely NOT advertising- just asking a question. I mentioned that company because I had bought Medifast food in the past, and found it pretty expensive. The company I mentioned had comparable food for a lot less. I just have grown tired of cooking after all these years-once a day (for dinner, usually) is all I can stand. I don't use them exclusively-it's just great to be able to whip up an acceptable breakfast or lunch in a couple minutes.Since their products are in the data base here, it's fast and easy to enter them into my food diary, and I can be sure that I am getting enough protein and not too much sodium.The hard thing for me is going to be in a couple days, when I stop losing water weight because of my reduced carbohydrate intake. Then, I won't be getting the instant gratification of a pound or two a day weight loss. :-/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    suznhenz wrote: »
    I am definitely NOT advertising- just asking a question. I mentioned that company because I had bought Medifast food in the past, and found it pretty expensive. The company I mentioned had comparable food for a lot less. I just have grown tired of cooking after all these years-once a day (for dinner, usually) is all I can stand. I don't use them exclusively-it's just great to be able to whip up an acceptable breakfast or lunch in a couple minutes.Since their products are in the data base here, it's fast and easy to enter them into my food diary, and I can be sure that I am getting enough protein and not too much sodium.The hard thing for me is going to be in a couple days, when I stop losing water weight because of my reduced carbohydrate intake. Then, I won't be getting the instant gratification of a pound or two a day weight loss. :-/

Is maintenance going to be low carb and prepackaged foods? Make sure you have a game plan. I've been at goal and maintenance is hard work......it doesn't just happen.

An acceptable breakfast is so simple. Will you suddenly feel like cooking when you get to goal? Overnight oats, Greek yogurt with berries & high fiber cereal. Batch cook on the weekends. Breakfast burritos or egg "McMuffins"......freeze individual portions.

Lunches can be simple sandwiches (or wraps) with a side of veggies & fruit. Cottage cheese & fruit. Batch cook soups or chili's - you will have several portions to spread out over weeks. I grill several chicken breasts cut them up and place in sandwich bags, stick them in the freezer. I use them for grilled chicken salads (Caesar, taco, Asian....so many options).

Cooking Light & Skinny Taste are websites with really good recipes.

Instant gratification and no-fuss logging seem nice (right now).....I guess that hard work starts after you get to goal.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The problem with these is what happens when you hit your goal. If you are not planning on buying these meals the rest of your life then you will gain the weight right back. Reason is, you are not learning correct portion controls and good eating habits on your own. If you don't picture yourself doing it forever m, it will be a waste of time and money.

I make a simple breakfast with lots of protein (scrambled eggs, Greek yogurt, etc). It keeps me plenty full and is cheap. Dinners include chicken breasts/fish, brown rice, steamed veggies, turkey tacos with lettuce wraps, etc. Lots of websites to help you make meals that are relatively cheap and easy that will also be healthy.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    This makes no sense. Most people don't cook more than once daily anyway, and you can batch cook once a week and eat homecooked dinners every day if you like. I like to cook, though, or I "cook", really, feeding yourself properly is just about combining a matching set of ingredients, chop and/or heat it - but I also get the not caring for food; I used to hate food a little, before, when I believed that healthy food had to have certain qualities, exactly which, I cannot say, but they included "boring", "bitter" and "dry". Understanding that good nutrition is all about balance and that everything can be eaten in moderation, changed all that. It made cooking fun, food shopping exciting, eating enjoyable, and weight management effortless.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think "fast and easy" is what made most of us fat :#
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    suznhenz wrote: »

I honestly don't see anything wrong with this. If this is what you prefer to do and it keeps you on track then I say more power to you.
  • suznhenz
    Options
    I don't know about the rest of you, but having high-carb snacks in the house contributed a lot of my problems- but it all started after I had my thyroid removed and I've had trouble finding a doctor that doesn't just live by THS levels when determining thyroid medication dosage. I think I have finally found one who realizes that some people react differently than others to medication. My metabolism is totally shot- my body temperature stays around 97.1 - 97.3, and sometimes drops even lower. I've had several sudden waves of severe muscle and joint pain that totally knocked me for a loop and lasted for years. Right now, I am loving riding my TerraTrike for 45 - 90 minutes a day - no seat, arm or back pain from sitting on a regular 2 wheel bike and no weight on my knees or back.