Hit a wall

Options
My husband and I have been dieting and exercising since March. I've lost 30 some pounds he has lost 45 pounds. My husband has continued to loss weight this past three weeks, where I've have lost none. Nothing has changed in our regimen. What may be some reasons I have I stopped losing weight? I have not increased calorie intake, if anything the amount of physical activity we both engage in has increased.

Replies

• agottier223
    agottier223 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have you lowered your calorie intake since you started? If you have lost 30 lbs, your body requires fewer calories than it did when you started. Additionally, your lighter body burns fewer calories doing the same exercise, so while you may have increased your time exercising, your calorie burn may not be much more than it has been (depending on how much you increased your activity, what kind of activity you are doing, etc.)
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You've hit the much-hated plateau, sounds like. Your body is taking time to catch up to all this flurry of extra activity and nutritional changes! Perfectly normal but really really frustrating. My recommendation? First, take time to really think about and reflect on what you've accomplished. You've lost 30 pounds! That's a ridiculously amazing thing. You are healthier now than you have been. You are doing great things for yourself. All good things. I think we get so focused on the goal that when we get there, we have nowhere to go and then what? Think of this period as a time-out to consider how your life has changed and how you are affected positively by this because eventually you will need to be really dedicated to keeping the weight off and that takes some serious mental energy. Second, mix it up! Up your calories and then drop them back down a few days later. Do something different with your exercise routine. I know that I had to add things like HIIT routines and longer runs in order to shake a few of my plateaus. You need to change something to move your metabolism back out of stasis. Your body has gotten used to the caloric intake and physical activity that you currently have so you need to add, take away, or change something. Hope it helps and congratulations on all your hard work and accomplishments!