Good HRM under $100. Can it be done?

Options
As the title says, I'm looking to get a heart rate monitor, preferably for under $100. Nothing too fancy, but I'd love if it monitored a continuous heart rate instead of stopping and fiddling with a thumb thing. Any suggestions? Has one been particularly awesome for you? I was browsing at Best Buy (they have a fitness aisle now...weird) and there wasn't a huge selection under that price point. I'm a slightly unemployed teacher, so money's tight. Tired of being stuck at the same weight for weeks...so I'd love to figure out if my exercise really counts for what MFP says it counts for.

If you do peek at my diary, this past week I had an intensive grad class that went from 9-4, and then I had homework until about 11PM or so each night, so....it's not a good measure of what normally happens. I hate sitting in those things.

Replies

• mmelaragno
    mmelaragno Posts: 162
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 that I got on amazon.com for around $80 and I love it. I think all Polar's are good though, I've never heard anything bad.
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 that I am now trying to get rid of on eBay.

It just isn't for me - but I have heard LOTS of awesome things about it.
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Just purchased the FT4 from amazon for $64......I have used it only 2 days, so far so good.
  • mhig011975
    mhig011975 Posts: 181
    Options
    I have a timex ironman hrm that is pretty decent, the polar brands are the best bet. And if you go to Amazon.com you will save if you go to the store and buy a HRM.
  • TokiDokiGirl12
    TokiDokiGirl12 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just got a FT40 off of Ebay and it was $99. The FT7 and FT40 both show you if you're in the fat burning or fitness zone. I do like Polar HRM.
  • beefluv86
    beefluv86 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have the Timex T5G981. Got it for about $60 at Best Buy, it's the only one I've had but I like it alot. It comes with a chest strap and took about 10 min to program it once I figured it out. Definitely worth the money!
  • selfdiscipline73
    selfdiscipline73 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind shopping online, check out heartratemonitorsusa.com. I purchased my Garmin Fr60 through them and know of several other people that have purchased through this website. The site allows you to shop and compare different hrm's very easily. I think you can get the Garmin FR60 under $100 if you do not get the upgraded chest strap. It comes with a regular chest strap and a friend of mine uses that one and has no problems with it. We love our Garmin FR60. You can upload all of your workout info into a computer program and it tracks all the info for you. Also, Beachbody.com sells heart rate monitors for less than $100. I am a beachbody coach and you can choose me as your coach if you purchase through them. I can help motivate and encourage you. Good luck with your shopping. If you decide to go with a Beachbody product let me know and I will give you my name to choose as your coach.
  • irisannRN
    irisannRN Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Have had the Polar FT4 for several months now and it is great !!! Never had a prob with it. I think I paid around $80 for it on Amazon.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm going to throw another vote in for a polar FT4. If you want to spend a little more and step up to the FT7 though I think you won't be sorry 8)
  • WhisperALullaby
    WhisperALullaby Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 that I am now trying to get rid of on eBay.

It just isn't for me - but I have heard LOTS of awesome things about it.
    If I may ask, what didn't you like about it?

And thanks for the suggestions so far everybody!
  • seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and love it!
  • courtneycuth
    Options
    You should check out the clearance electronics section of department stores - I was able to get a Polar F4 for $15 at Sears this past December, and I love it!
  • kristiedavis1
    Options
    I also have a Polar FT7 that I bought at Academy sports for $80. It's also not for me. I've been on the phone with the polar people and because of my size and the "type" of excercise I do - circuit/strenght training, it's not the most accurate for me. But, when I do use it for strickly cardio it does very well.
  • LTRUITT3
    LTRUITT3 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You should check out the clearance electronics section of department stores - I was able to get a Polar F4 for $15 at Sears this past December, and I love it!

My kind of shopping...Good deal!!!
  • WhisperALullaby
    WhisperALullaby Posts: 67 Member
    Options

My kind of shopping...Good deal!!!
    Ha, that's the kind of shopping I need!
  • MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I got mine, a New Balance, at Target for under $70. I am VERY pleased with it. It does have a chest strap.
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Just got a Sharper Image all in 1 heart rate watch. It was a present :0) It comes with a chest band too.... only I can't figure out how to program my personal info into it to even use it yet! Ahhhh..... if you are electronically and instructions challenged like me, I think I would go for a different one.
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say... it was purchased at Big 5 Sporting Goods store and the tag says it is $99.99, but they got it on sale this week.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Yes. i believe the Polar FT4 and MAYBE the FT7 (if it's on sale somewhere) are both under $100! GOOD LUCK!
  • ironband
    ironband Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Also, don't forget to check craigslist - I scored a Polar M52 new in the box for $20. It's an older model, and the battery in the watch was dead, but after a $7 trip to the jeweler's for a new battery it was good to go!

Andre