Happiness is key!! How I lost 65 lbs.

paulaparrish
paulaparrish Posts: 15 Member
edited July 2016 in Success Stories
zztf1fqtdz74.jpg
cvoavrodnst2.jpg
I was overweight for years. I tried 3 times to get it under control. I put in serious effort, but results were slow, and I got discouraged. I would give up, and all I lost would come back, plus a few extra pounds! Around Sept of 2014, at the age of 46, I decided enough was enough. I started on my fitness pal, counting calories and trying to eat more healthy. I couldn't stay within the low calorie counts that were suggested, so I tried the best I could, giving myself a little room for extra calories. I eventually gave up soda. I saw a quick 10 pound drop. I weighed myself almost daily. I constantly read the success stories, looked at before and after pictures for inspiration. I read about one girl that had lost over 100 lbs just by eating less. I was encouraged by that. But, I got more rigid in my clean eating. I got to the point of being able to stay within the low calorie limit. I saw more weight dropping more rapidly. I started to exercise. I began by doing Leslie Sansone videos in my living room. I love her. I could only do a mile when I started, but soon got up to 3. I tried not to make it a chore to exercise. I didn't push too hard too fast. I had a goal of at least 3 times a week. Then, I found myself looking forward to my time with Leslie! Before I knew it I was addicted, and craved the workouts. I would go for walks outside, and tried hiking. Again I was frustrated at my fat, out of shape self. I couldn't keep up with my husband and kids on hikes. But, I was determined this time to stick with it. Something was different this time, I could feel it! My attitude about life was transforming along with my body. I was becoming more confident. I started thinking about me first, what I needed and wanted, I was actually accomplishing something I always thought was out of reach! I soon gave up sugar. I dropped about 25 pounds in 3 months. Then in May of 2015 my husband I and separated, and I became a ball of stress and anxiety. I found it hard to eat, or sleep. I continued to exercise. It was a form of "therapy" for me. I hiked 7 miles 3 times a week, and went on 3 miles walks almost every day. I lost 30 lbs in 5 months. By then, my eating returned to "normal". I was not eating as cleanly as before. By now, my metabolism was fired up and burning up everything I ate. I remembered reading about the girl that ate anything she wanted, just less of it, and didn't beat myself up for not eating clean. After I lost the bulk of my weight, I decided to start toning. I started lifting small amounts of weights. People kept asking how I was losing so much weight, did I have surgery? I would laugh and say it was stress and anxiety from my divorce. I believed it was, til one day I realized I hadn't really been stressed or anxious for months. I realized I was happy! So I started telling people I lost the weight because I was truly, finally happy! I have lost 65 lbs. and kept it off for a year now. I still hike about times a week. I do ab, arm, butt and thigh workouts at home with you tube videos. Jessica Smith, fitness blenders, and Rebeca Louise are my favorites. I have a friend that I workout with. We encourage and push each other. It does help to be accountable to someone else. It really hasn't felt hard or like a lot of work. I have truly enjoyed the journey. Feel free to ask me anything. Good luck! If I can do it, so can you!!!

Replies

• molnica019
    molnica019 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi I'm Molnica,

Your story make me want to just get up and fight for this again

I started at 260 lbs lost almost 70 lbs now (its up from lost 87lbs)

When my wieght is around 220 lbs, I started to go for a gym than a swimming. I put myself so hard, even hired a traniner to make me reach my goal

The point is he put me so hard, want me to eat less (800- 1000 cal per day) my TDEE is around 2000. And I took the cardio class 2 classes a day. So at first, it's going down so fast, and I thought I'm happy with the no. on the scale. I went down to 176 lbs but one day my body and my stomach and take it any longer. My period is missing for 7 months and I start to eat everything that come in my way. I am lost. Not happy with everything; it effect on my dairy life my work my people. I became the person who can piss off a everything.

Here I am. Tryting to start again at 190 lbs

I think that I'm still lucky that my weight still not go up too fast.

I want to do this again; ready to give everything to achieve this goal.

Could you somehow guide me to make it happen

Thank you
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Really great post. So happy for you!!!
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    You look happy and about 20 years younger. Very inspiring.
  • tishcourt54
    tishcourt54 Posts: 13 Member
    Very inspirational!
  • Eboneysea2291
    Eboneysea2291 Posts: 12 Member
    Awesome job! Congratulations!!!
  • RedsGirl73
    RedsGirl73 Posts: 114 Member
    Well done! You look amazing!
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Thank you for the inspiration!
  • rooshie0607
    rooshie0607 Posts: 1 Member
    Very inspirational! Thank you for sharing :) I'm ready to be happy again.
  • paulaparrish
    molnica019 wrote: »
    Hi I'm Molnica,

Your story make me want to just get up and fight for this again

I started at 260 lbs lost almost 70 lbs now (its up from lost 87lbs)

When my wieght is around 220 lbs, I started to go for a gym than a swimming. I put myself so hard, even hired a traniner to make me reach my goal

The point is he put me so hard, want me to eat less (800- 1000 cal per day) my TDEE is around 2000. And I took the cardio class 2 classes a day. So at first, it's going down so fast, and I thought I'm happy with the no. on the scale. I went down to 176 lbs but one day my body and my stomach and take it any longer. My period is missing for 7 months and I start to eat everything that come in my way. I am lost. Not happy with everything; it effect on my dairy life my work my people. I became the person who can piss off a everything.

Here I am. Tryting to start again at 190 lbs

I think that I'm still lucky that my weight still not go up too fast.

I want to do this again; ready to give everything to achieve this goal.

Could you somehow guide me to make it happen

Thank you

Thanks Monica. The main idea here is to be very patient, loving and forgiving of yourself. Take it slow, and realize this is a slow long lasting journey. It was very hard for me to not exercise everyday..when I stressed about it, I would plateau, and when I would rest for days in a row, my body would reset and I would lose more weight. Just keep going. Don't compare yourself to others. Find happiness in what you have accomplished so far. You can and will do this. We can check in with each other if you think that would help. One thing I did, not really on purpose, is I would exercise on an empty stomach. I didn't feel like eating for hours afterward. And when I did eat, I ate less.
  • paulaparrish
    edited July 2016
    You look great, very healthy!! I am 45 and have a question: Did you take care of your skin while losing or is that good genes? Because you look so youthful. Great post, thanks for sharing.

Thank you! I just used Gold Bond Ultimate strength and resilience lotion. My skin still hasn't caught up with my weight loss, but it is kind of hidden, thank goodness. On my face I do use Roc under my eyes. I moisturize every day. I use Cetaphil cream in the jar under my makeup...gives you a nice glow.

• Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    What a powerful story. Congrats. You look great!
  • kronin23
    kronin23 Posts: 59 Member
    Wow! Wonderful job ant story, thanks!
  • susi819
    susi819 Posts: 50 Member
    WOW! Amazing job! You look so much younger and happier, good for you! I have lost 78lbs myself, so I know how you feel!
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    wow! First of all,,,, your eyes are just beautiful!! first thing I noticed! congrats on the weight loss! So glad you feel better and it shows!
  • Crlion43
    Crlion43 Posts: 31 Member
    you look amazing. Doesn't even look like the same person. congratulations
  • karenowens524934
    karenowens524934 Posts: 5 Member
    Very good...your story is amazing. I love to hear motivational stories regarding weight loss. My weight loss journey begin in mid 2013....I had lost 20 pounds due to stress. Overall, I lost 64 pounds....then I got complacent and ended up gaining 56 pounds back. Now, I'm back refocused with a different attitude toward food and a different approach. I wish you all the best. You look fantastic!
  • Moneicalynn
    Moneicalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Congrats!! You look like you are also about 20 years younger great story =)
  • teresar361
    teresar361 Posts: 4 Member
    AMAZING! You look AMAZING! Tell me how you kicked the sugar! My downfall is sugar and caffeine.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    Great work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!